Harddisk crashing after update

The much anticipated DSM 2.3 production release, with new features, such as easy volume management and storage with the Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), AES-256 bit share level encryption to aid in protecting your sensitive data, backup to the cloud with Amazon S3 service, and so much more!
openIT
I'm New!
I'm New!

Harddisk crashing after update

Postby openIT » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi,

I have a DS209+II with 2 ST31500341AS disks in raid 1 mode.
The system was running quite stable some month now but after upgrading to Firmware-Version DSM 2.3-1141 I have three times already harddisk crashes with "write error at md2 ... " before.

I'm irritated because the errors appear on both disks and one time hd1 and another time hd2 crashed.
After restart and repairing the raid everything looks fine again ... until next crash after some days.

Does anybody have and idea how to get rid of this problematic?

Many thanks.
openIT
robba
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Harddisk crashing after update

Postby robba » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:09 am

I have the same problem with my CS407e. It has been running perfectly fine for months on end. Then a mere day after upgrading to 2.3 my disk 2 crashes and disappears from the volume. After rebooting I can do an extended S.M.A.R.T. test which tells me there's nothing wrong with the disk. Putting it back into the volume works fine for a day or so, then it crashes again.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the drive, it seems like an awful coincidence that it starts crashing like this right after doing a firmware update. I'm happy to provide any additional information, but it'd be really great if someone could look into this problem.
lavers
Experienced
Experienced

Postby lavers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 am

same problem with my 207+.
My DS running perfectly before update to 2.3. My disk 2 crashes for many times and disappears from the volume.

I have perform a health check on my harddisk by using kinds of software and confirm that the harddisk don't have anything wrong.
DS-213 / DSM 6.0 7274
DS-716+ / DSM 5.2 5644 Update 3
openIT
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby openIT » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Again ... today I had another crash.

Is there any update or hint from Synology to avoid this kind of problems?

It's very frustrating if you have to repair the volume once a week or so.
I still don't know how likely it is to lose data in or because of this kind of situation.

Any help is welcome. Many Thanks!!
Joshuaw
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby Joshuaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Hello @openIT,

Please contact online support and submit a kernel log. The links to do so are in my signature.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
openIT
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby openIT » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Joshuaw,

done (ID: #42646).

/Thanks
robinlam
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby robinlam » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:53 am

I am wondering whether any resolution exists for the subject issue so far. Yesterday marked my second time that DISK 2 in my CS407 crashed. The reportedly crashed disk performs normally when it is removed from the CS407 and connected to my PC as a USB drive, so the possibility of a physical hardware error is eliminated. I put in a brand new disk when I first encountered the DISK 2 crash message. Therefore the one "crashed" this time is in fact my newest drive in the CS407. I wonder whether DISK 2 crash is a coincident, or something relating to firmware. :( :?
nfoto
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby nfoto » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Replace the special Synology SATA cable with a standard off-shelf cable. My 407 crashed 2-3 times a week, always logging a failure with disk 2. Replacing the drive did not solve the crash issues. The HDD units themselves tested OK outside the 407. Finally, I hooked a stock SATA cable to the drive, and now have run the 407 without any issues for more than 8 months.

Return to “DiskStation Manager 2.3-1141/1144”