Advice wanted regarding 3TB WD drives installed in a 1511+

Discussion about the Western Digital Green Drive, specifically, the WD15EADS-00P8B0, and WD10EADS-00P8B0 drives. Any form of disrespectful behavior will result in immediate ban. It is at the will of Synology to determine what is disprectful behavior. Refer to Forum policy for further information. This room may be archived at any time at the will of Synology
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Rom
Trainee
Trainee

Advice wanted regarding 3TB WD drives installed in a 1511+

Postby Rom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi All, I hope you can help me. I bought a 1511+ and 5 WD Green WD30EZRX drives (I checked on the wiki that they were compatable before ordering but foolishly did not check this forum!). I have them configured in SHR with 1 redundant drive. Now the problem I am having....

Network copy over gigabit with cat6 cables is very slow - not as bad as some report but I call 18MB/sec not good enough.

Now the questions:

Would the idle time on the drives cause the slow network speed (I did not run WDIdle3 on the drives before installing into the 1511+)?

If it would then now I have configured the RAID and copied 8.5TB of data onto the drives, could I run wdidle3 on the drives without destroying the raid? Obviously I would shut down the machine and remove/fix one drive at a time.

If I can run WDidle3 and not destroy the data would I have to do one drive and rebuild or can I do all of the drives without a rebuild in between?

If the idle 'fix' would not be causing the slow network speed then any ideas what could be causing the bad network speed?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Rom.
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: Advice wanted regarding 3TB WD drives installed in a 151

Postby maxxfi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Rom wrote:Would the idle time on the drives cause the slow network speed (I did not run WDIdle3 on the drives before installing into the 1511+)?

No, I don't think so.
If it would then now I have configured the RAID and copied 8.5TB of data onto the drives, could I run wdidle3 on the drives without destroying the raid? Obviously I would shut down the machine and remove/fix one drive at a time.

If I can run WDidle3 and not destroy the data would I have to do one drive and rebuild or can I do all of the drives without a rebuild in between?

Yes, the idle3 tool can be run after you have filled your disks with data, and it should not affect that. It should only touch the disk firmware.
However (as you anyway already plan to do) it would be better to do it one disk at a time.
As the data part is not touched, if you do the operation offline it should not even require to rebuild the RAID.
I would anyway to do a cycle like: power off -> run idle3 on one disk -> reboot and check that all is ok -> power off again -> idle3 ... -> etc.
If the idle 'fix' would not be causing the slow network speed then any ideas what could be causing the bad network speed?

Have you check that your NAS is not e.g. busy with any CPU-intensive activity (e.g. the notorius convert) ?
If not, you should do a few checks regarding the network settings.
No longer using Synology NAS, moved to more open source solutions.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411
Rom
Trainee
Trainee

Postby Rom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks for the advice/clarification Maxxfi. Will do what I originally planned, can't hurt. The nas is at 17% ram used and 10% CPU so it's not being taxed at all. Tried with different settings on the network, jumbo frames, bypassing router, direct into router etc etc. Though I'm going off topic in this forum suppose I should try to get opinions in the fileserver forum.

Once again, thanks for your help :)
abusous2000
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby abusous2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 am

I have very similar configuration. I am wondering how the WD Green HDs have been working for you since August of 2011? Many thanks in advance.

Return to “Western Digital Green Drives Slowness Room”