Finally ditched my WD15xxx drives

Discussion about the Western Digital Green Drive, specifically, the WD15EADS-00P8B0, and WD10EADS-00P8B0 drives. Any form of disrespectful behavior will result in immediate ban. It is at the will of Synology to determine what is disprectful behavior. Refer to Forum policy for further information. This room may be archived at any time at the will of Synology
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
RandyV
Experienced
Experienced

Finally ditched my WD15xxx drives

Unread post by RandyV » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 am

Here's an honest tip for anyone using WD15xxx "green" drives in your NAS: get rid of them.

I don't say that to bash WD -- I love WD drives, but in this case, it's the wrong product for a NAS.

I've been using 3x1.5 TB WD Greens in RAID5 since I got my DS409+ about a year an half ago. I honestly didn't think I had any issues until I started looking at my throughput more closely. My DS just wasn't pushing data the way I though it should and streaming anything was really erratic (which the DS Assistant Resource Monitor confirmed). After ruling out my network cabling and equipment, I decided to bite the bullet and replace the WDs drives with Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2 TBs.

What a difference.

The performance of my DS409+ with the Hitachi's is significantly faster -- roughly 3 times faster. With the WD greens, I maybe got 10 - 12 MB/sec writes -- which were in spikes -- over gig ethernet. I would bet it averaged out closer to 7-8 MB/sec. With the Hitachi's installed, my DS now easily sustains 34-38 MB/sec write throughput. It's amazingly faster. Videos that used to stop and studder when I tried to watch them now play without any issue, basic read/write operations are much improved and the DS is more responsive.

The Hitachi's are noisier, but I can take the trade off given the huge performance improvement.

I assume most people here, like me, initially chose the greens because of the capacity and price point. However, in the end, that choice ended up costing me a lot of raw performance out of my DS.

Replacing your drives may not be the most cost-effective thing to do, but you spent a lot of money on your DS. Using the green drives is ultimately costing you performance that the Syno can deliver. At least it did in my case.

Randy
Randy V
Hardware: DS409+ Storage: 4 x HGST HDS722020ALA330 / 5TB RAID5
Hardware: DS916+ Storage: 4 x HGST HDN726050ALE610 / 15TB RAID5
Misc: 2 x TrendNet TV-IP410W

campuscop2003
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Finally ditched my WD15xxx drives

Unread post by campuscop2003 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:39 pm

I too ditched my green drive and replaced it with the caviar black. Man what a difference in speed. The DS110j was so slow that i thought if ditching it after only several months. After reading about the load cycle issues and saw mine was over 275,000 I switched. I now know it was the green drive. I still can't believe what difference it made.

Return to “Western Digital Green Drives Slowness Room”