DS210j + WD20EARS..6 MB/s even with latest upgrade (DSM1167)

Discussion about the Western Digital Green Drive, specifically, the WD15EADS-00P8B0, and WD10EADS-00P8B0 drives. Any form of disrespectful behavior will result in immediate ban. It is at the will of Synology to determine what is disprectful behavior. Refer to Forum policy for further information. This room may be archived at any time at the will of Synology
Chris79
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS210j + WD20EARS..6 MB/s even with latest upgrade (DSM1167)

Postby Chris79 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi

I bought a DS210J and WD20EARS (I checked the list of compatible drives before I bought it so it should work) and have read/write speeds of 6MB/s.. and thats after I downloaded the latest DMS (1167) and redid the installation and formatting procedures (out of the box I had 2MB/s).
I´ve read alot about alignment problems in these forums and I feel my problem fits the description.. but I still dont know how to fix it! I thought that the latest DSM1167 would do the trick but I guess not. I also tried plugging in a USB stick just to try transfering files that way but I got the same result.

I´ve read alot of threads here, including the "Do I have an alignment problem" .. (viewtopic.php?f=151&t=24099) but I have a big problem.. I dont even understand all the "fdisk -lu" etc that I´m supposed to write, or where I´m supposed to write it :(
Is this a linux thing or can some kind soul please tell me how I do it?

Thanks!
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: DS210j + WD20EARS..6 MB/s even with latest upgrade (DSM1167)

Postby maxxfi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:17 am

Do you know that "telnet" or "ssh" are?
See this Wiki page: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Telnet%3F
and the connection details here: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Interface

When you are logged in, you'll get a message like this:

Code: Select all

BusyBox v1.1.0 (2010.04.19-13:39+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

DiskStation>

At this point, simply type the 'fdisk -lu' command.
Below is what you are going to see:

Diskstation>  fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             256     4980735     2490240   fd  Linux raid autodetect
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2         4980736     9175039     2097152   fd  Linux raid autodetect
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3         9437184  1953511007   972036912    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5         9453280  1953511007   972028864   fd  Linux raid autodetect

(And there you can check whether the 'start' field for first partition is 256)

To close the session you simply type 'exit' command.

Diskstation> exit

That's all! :)
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411
Chris79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Chris79 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks alot! I´m learning lot´s these days :)

Believe it or not.. I did however run in to a problem. Everything went smooth until I logged in to my nas. After I entered my name and pwd I get this:
"Could not change chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/admin: No such file or directory"

Then it says what you wrote.. "BusyBox v1.1.0... " and its waiting for a command to be written. I type "fdisk -lu" and I get an error message: "Cannot open /dev/sdb"
:(

What am I doing wrong??
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Postby maxxfi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 am

Chris79 wrote:Believe it or not.. I did however run in to a problem. Everything went smooth until I logged in to my nas. After I entered my name and pwd I get this:
"Could not change chdir to home directory /var/services/homes/admin: No such file or directory"

This should not be a big problem, I think it should be fixed if in webgui you tick the field
Privileges -> User -> User Home (on window titlebar) -> Enable User Home service

Then it says what you wrote.. "BusyBox v1.1.0... " and its waiting for a command to be written. I type "fdisk -lu" and I get an error message: "Cannot open /dev/sdb"

Hmm... do you have two disks? First disk is named /dev/sda, second disk /dev/sdb
If you have two disks, does the webgui show that both are connected and ready?
Chris79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Chris79 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 pm

maxxfi wrote:
Chris79 wrote:Believe it or not.. I did however run in to a problem. Everything went smooth until I logged in to my nas. After I entered my name and pwd I get this:

This should not be a big problem, I think it should be fixed if in webgui you tick the field
Privileges -> User -> User Home (on window titlebar) -> Enable User Home service

Ah.. fixed! :)

Hmm... do you have two disks? First disk is named /dev/sda, second disk /dev/sdb
If you have two disks, does the webgui show that both are connected and ready?

I have only one disk but I realized that I had placed my HD in slot marked "HDD2". I´ve changed now so its in slot 1, but then i instead get an error message "Cannot open /dev/sda".. Also tested some file transfers but its the same as before. I get about 6-7 MB/s, with a external harddrive connected with USB its about 2MB/s..
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Postby maxxfi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:19 am

For the "Cannot open /dev/sda", with what user are you logging on the DS?
You need to log in as 'root' (it uses same password as 'admin' user).

With several low-level functions, 'root' user is the only one who can access certain
resources on the machine.
Chris79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Chris79 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Yes, thankyou!!
Logged in as "root" and here it is:

NAS> fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 256 4980735 2490240 fd Linux raid autodetect
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 4980736 9175039 2097152 fd Linux raid autodetect
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3 9437184 18446744073321608384 18446744073510861409+ fd Linux raid autodetect

It starts at 256 which means that its aligned correctly, right?? .. But then I wonder what it is that limits my speed to only 6-7 MB/s.. I have also tried to plug my pc directly to the nas, not using the router but its the same speed..
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Postby maxxfi » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Yes, at least the alignment is ok.

For the slowness, it can depend from other factors.
When you connected the DS directly to your PC, was the connection at gigabit speed?
From the Resource Monitor in the Management GUI, can you see what are the top processes
in terms of CPU usage, and what's the value? Is the DS by any chance busy doing indexing, etc.?
Chris79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Chris79 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:35 am

maxxfi wrote:Yes, at least the alignment is ok.

For the slowness, it can depend from other factors.
When you connected the DS directly to your PC, was the connection at gigabit speed?

Hmm.. I should think so. The cable was Cat 6, my network card is "Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller" which should be able to perform at gigabit speed? Unless there´s something I have to do, some setting to change for it to function at gigabit speed?

From the Resource Monitor in the Management GUI, can you see what are the top processes
in terms of CPU usage, and what's the value? Is the DS by any chance busy doing indexing, etc.?

When I tested transfering a file, about 800 Mb, just now i checked the resource monitor. CPU usage was pretty steady at about 25%. The no 1 with usage at 22% was something called "smbd" and no 2 at 3%, something called "pdflush", after that they shifted somewhat. But I thought indexing only took place if I turned on the media server application? I have´nt turned on any application. For the moment, my nas i simply an empty box waiting for this issue to be fixed.

I tried transfering some files from a borrowed laptaop and then the CPU usage reached 60% and was pretty stable around 50-60%. The processes in the top in terms of usage were
1) smdb 55%
2) pdflush 5%
3) md2_raid1 2%
4) kswap0 1-2%
3 and 4 swapped now and then. "raid 1" seems interesting.. since I only have one harddrive in my nas.

But.. with the laptop that runs XP I got a speed of 22-25 MB/s!! At some point there was a short but big dip in the speed but its still alot better than what my stationary pc with vista can do, even though I actually saw the transfer from my pc to the nas reach 9MB/s for a very short while!

Well.. Guess there´s something wrong with my pc then :(
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Postby maxxfi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:18 am

Chris79 wrote:Hmm.. I should think so. The cable was Cat 6, my network card is "Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller" which should be able to perform at gigabit speed? Unless there´s something I have to do, some setting to change for it to function at gigabit speed?

If you are using Windows, you can check in the properties of the connection how is the real speed.
Don't leave open guesses: even if you are using cat.6 cable connected at both ends with gigabit-capable card, it doesnt' mean
that the link will use gigabit speed.
From Synology side, there is no user command to change the network settings, and unfortunately also monitoring the link is not that simple.

When I tested transfering a file, about 800 Mb, just now i checked the resource monitor. CPU usage was pretty steady at about 25%. The no 1 with usage at 22% was something called "smbd" and no 2 at 3%, something called "pdflush", after that they shifted somewhat. But I thought indexing only took place if I turned on the media server application? I have´nt turned on any application. For the moment, my nas i simply an empty box waiting for this issue to be fixed.

Hm, sorry I should have specified: what is the CPU usage when the DS is 'idle', that is it when you are not transferring files.
Just to know what was the 'background' load.

I rarely use Windows and so smbd (i.e. SMB/CIFS Samba daemon) doesn't kick in too frequently on my box, but I think at 25% is reasonable value.

I tried transfering some files from a borrowed laptaop and then the CPU usage reached 60% and was pretty stable around 50-60%. The processes in the top in terms of usage were
1) smdb 55%
2) pdflush 5%
3) md2_raid1 2%
4) kswap0 1-2%
3 and 4 swapped now and then. "raid 1" seems interesting.. since I only have one harddrive in my nas.

But.. with the laptop that runs XP I got a speed of 22-25 MB/s!! At some point there was a short but big dip in the speed but its still alot better than what my stationary pc with vista can do, even though I actually saw the transfer from my pc to the nas reach 9MB/s for a very short while!

For the md2_raid1, it's because the NAS has anyway built a RAID1 array (with only one drive). Don't worry it's ok, that's how SHR works.

Do you mean that with your computer you get about 6 MB/s (and smbd uses 25% CPU) and with the borrowed laptop you can reach 25 MB/s (and 55% smbd) ?
Again, I'm not a Win expert but I wonder if it has to do with 'lovely' Vista :)
- Try to transfer with a different protocol that SMB, e.g. activate the FTP service in the management GUI and do a couple of transfer tests with both desktop/Vista and laptop/XP.
- As I said above, check the real speed of the network link
Chris79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Chris79 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:56 pm

maxxfi wrote:
Chris79 wrote:Hmm.. I should think so. The cable was Cat 6, my network card is "Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller" which should be able to perform at gigabit speed? Unless there´s something I have to do, some setting to change for it to function at gigabit speed?

If you are using Windows, you can check in the properties of the connection how is the real speed.

Hmm.. How do I check the real speed in windows? When I want to learn the speed I have so far looked in the Resource monitor/network flow.

Don't leave open guesses: even if you are using cat.6 cable connected at both ends with gigabit-capable card, it doesnt' mean
that the link will use gigabit speed.
From Synology side, there is no user command to change the network settings, and unfortunately also monitoring the link is not that simple.

Hm, sorry I should have specified: what is the CPU usage when the DS is 'idle', that is it when you are not transferring files.
Just to know what was the 'background' load.

The "idle cpu usage" is virtually zero as far as I can see.. When I dont transfer any files it just lies still..

I rarely use Windows and so smbd (i.e. SMB/CIFS Samba daemon) doesn't kick in too frequently on my box, but I think at 25% is reasonable value.

1) smdb 55%
2) pdflush 5%
3) md2_raid1 2%
4) kswap0 1-2%

For the md2_raid1, it's because the NAS has anyway built a RAID1 array (with only one drive). Don't worry it's ok, that's how SHR works.

Do you mean that with your computer you get about 6 MB/s (and smbd uses 25% CPU) and with the borrowed laptop you can reach 25 MB/s (and 55% smbd) ?
Again, I'm not a Win expert but I wonder if it has to do with 'lovely' Vista :)

I´m developing more and more negative feelings towards Vista :(

- Try to transfer with a different protocol that SMB, e.g. activate the FTP service in the management GUI and do a couple of transfer tests with both desktop/Vista and laptop/XP.
- As I said above, check the real speed of the network link

I enabled FTP and downloaded FileZilla.This is what I got (all data comes from the resource monitor since I did´nt understand how to to it oteherwise):

Vista (my PC)
When copying single file (700MB) from NAS to PC, I averaged 17MB/s. The CPU usage reached about 45%.
When transfering 5 files (total 5GB) from NAS to PC, I had a average speed of 40 MB/s, with a short peak on 53 MB/s (!) The CPU usage reached about 50% with 70% for the peak.

When copying single file (700MB) from PC to NAS, I reached 17MB/s. The CPU usage reached about 45%.
When transfering 5 files (total 5GB) from PC to NAS, I was back on my average speed of 7 MB/s, with two short peaks on 20 MB/s, CPU was constant on ca 25% with 60% for the peaks.

XP, (borrowed laptop)
When copying single file (700MB) from NAS to PC, I had 35MB/s. The CPU usage reached about 20% (!).
When transfering 5 files (total 5GB) from NAS to PC, surprisingly I read only an average about 26 MB/s and CPU still at 20%.

Copying single file (700 MB) from PC to NAS, gave about 26 MB/s with CPU usage on 70%!
Copying 5 files (5GB) from PC to NAS, gave about 7-8MB/s and CPU usage on 25-30%.

Reading from the nas seems fine.. writing to it on the other hand is not that much fun if its more than a couple big files. I am surprised that Vista seems to perfom this good when reading from the nas.. But then I dont know if I´m reading the speed in a good enough way..
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Postby maxxfi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Chris79 wrote:Hmm.. How do I check the real speed in windows? When I want to learn the speed I have so far looked in the Resource monitor/network flow.

I don't the transfer speed, but the ethernet link speed.
I think if you check in the 'network properties' you should be able to see whether you are connected at 10/100/1000 Mbit/s.
Anyway, considering that in your tests some transfer reached 20-50 MByte/s, I assume that the link between NAS and PC is at gigabit speed.

I enabled FTP and downloaded FileZilla.This is what I got (all data comes from the resource monitor since I did´nt understand how to to it oteherwise):

Vista (my PC)
When copying single file (700MB) from NAS to PC, I averaged 17MB/s. The CPU usage reached about 45%.
When transfering 5 files (total 5GB) from NAS to PC, I had a average speed of 40 MB/s, with a short peak on 53 MB/s (!) The CPU usage reached about 50% with 70% for the peak.

When copying single file (700MB) from PC to NAS, I reached 17MB/s. The CPU usage reached about 45%.
When transfering 5 files (total 5GB) from PC to NAS, I was back on my average speed of 7 MB/s, with two short peaks on 20 MB/s, CPU was constant on ca 25% with 60% for the peaks.

XP, (borrowed laptop)
When copying single file (700MB) from NAS to PC, I had 35MB/s. The CPU usage reached about 20% (!).
When transfering 5 files (total 5GB) from NAS to PC, surprisingly I read only an average about 26 MB/s and CPU still at 20%.

Copying single file (700 MB) from PC to NAS, gave about 26 MB/s with CPU usage on 70%!
Copying 5 files (5GB) from PC to NAS, gave about 7-8MB/s and CPU usage on 25-30%.

Reading from the nas seems fine.. writing to it on the other hand is not that much fun if its more than a couple big files. I am surprised that Vista seems to perfom this good when reading from the nas.. But then I dont know if I´m reading the speed in a good enough way..

I can't find an explanation for all your results, but at least if with a more efficient (and standardized) protocol as FTP you got better results, maybe there is some issue (at least on Synology NAS) with the Vista implementation of SMB/CIFS, as I remember I've seen other forum users complaining on low transfer speed with that same O.S.

If you plan to use your NAS to store some data from your Vista computer (without a need to share with other computers), you may also try to use the iSCSI feature (read a bit the documentation and this forum to understand what it is and how it works)
maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: DS210j + WD20EARS..6 MB/s even with latest upgrade (DSM1

Postby maxxfi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:46 pm

It seems the issues with Vista deserved to be included in the FAQ:

"Why is the Samba performance so poor with Windows Vista?"
http://www.synology.com/support/faq_sho ... u&q_id=374
Chris79
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: DS210j + WD20EARS..6 MB/s even with latest upgrade (DSM1

Postby Chris79 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:33 am

maxxfi wrote:It seems the issues with Vista deserved to be included in the FAQ:

"Why is the Samba performance so poor with Windows Vista?"
http://www.synology.com/support/faq_sho ... u&q_id=374

Sorry I´ve so slow lately, I have been away on holiday amongst other things :)

I read you link, unfortunately for me, I have service pack 1 installed and still I have problems :(

Anyway, thanks alot for your help!!

Return to “Western Digital Green Drives Slowness Room”