CS407 slow with WD15EADS-00P8B0

Discussion about the Western Digital Green Drive, specifically, the WD15EADS-00P8B0, and WD10EADS-00P8B0 drives. Any form of disrespectful behavior will result in immediate ban. It is at the will of Synology to determine what is disprectful behavior. Refer to Forum policy for further information. This room may be archived at any time at the will of Synology
scallywagger
Trainee
Trainee

CS407 slow with WD15EADS-00P8B0

Postby scallywagger » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:42 pm

I've been experiencing a similar problem and I think Synology know why...

I too have been using the CS407 to stream video to a PCH-A110 networked media player and all has been working fine until I recently upgraded the HDDs in my CS407 from 4XWD7500AACS RAID5 to 4XWD15EADS RAID5. Although I had some trouble expanding the RAID5 volume, Synology Support helped out and eventually all appeared to be OK. :)

However when streaming media the playback would come stuttering to a halt after a few minutes. I was using Solwise HomePlug PL-200AV devices to connect the NAS to the PCH and having upgraded the firmware on these recently, I suspected that they were the culprit. So I replaced them with Devolo dLAN 200 AVeasy units instead and was frustrated when the problem continued. It wasn't the HomePlugs...

Then following a power cut, two of the drives crashed and corrupted the RAID volume! Synology Support very helpfully connected to the NAS and managed to get the volume back from this highly unstable state but I was concerned about the integrity of the data on the NAS, so decided to back it up and rebuild it.

When I started to back it up over the local Gigabit LAN I found that the transfer rate would drop from about 16MBps to a crawl after just a few seconds and remain there for an apparently random amount of time before picking up again to about 16MBps. This performance drop appeared to be cycical and affected FTP, HTTP, SMB & NFS transfers. I tried backing up the data to a an external USB HDD and noticed that this was also affected by the same cyclical slowdown! So it wasn't the network...

One of the drives crashed again and so I started to check around online to see if anyone had any ideas why this was happening. I discovered information that suggested that the Error Recovery system built into Western Digital desktop drives might be conflicting with the RAID error recovery process and causing it to drop drives from the array. So I rebuilt the RAID volume, downloaded the WD TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) utility, changed the settings on all the drives to TLER Active - Read 7secs / Write 7secs and started backing up me data again.

At this stage I got a message from Synology Support saying that they had checked my submitted kernel log and found that one of the drives was showing I/O errors. They asked me to SMART check the drives and ensure the cable connections were firm and in the right order.

The same cyclical slowdown has been evident throughout my data backup and towards the end a drive crashed again, degrading the volume once more!I've sent three further messages to Synology Support since then this week asking for help and have not, as yet, had any reply. :(

I finally managed to complete the backup of my data today (after a whole week of nerve wracking file transfers) and so set about trying to discover what was causing this issue.

The HDDs all passed Extended Tests using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics package and I've now replaced the SATA cables with ones I know to be good. I downloaded DSM 2.2-0959 and rebuilt the NAS and am now in the process of creating a new RAID5 volume again. Whilst it was doing its stuff with this I spent some time looking around the Synology website, wistfully dreaming about an upgrade to a DS409+ when I checked the HDD compatibility list...

The WD15EADS drives (along with the 1TB WD10EADS) are now listed as “Compatible” but also as "Not suggested" because of "Low performance on read/write"!!!

Before I purchased these drives, at not an inconsiderable cost, I checked the compatibility list and they were listed as compatible with the CS407, with no additional notes. Now it appears the story has changed and I suspect this explains the deafening silence that I’ve been getting from Synology Support this last week.

Following reports of issues from users they must have realised that their initial testing of these drives was not thorough enough and there was in fact a problem with them. Synology’s answer? It would appear that they think the best thing to do is ignore the plight of their customers and just revise the information on the website! :evil:

What about those of us that took the original advice and bought what we were lead to believe were compatible devices? What do we do now?
Synology DS412+ - DSM5.0-4493U3 - 4 X ST3000DM001-9YN166I - SHR
Western Digital stink!
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: CS407 - Very slow on copy action

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:21 pm

mod note: please do not double post. thanks. All other similar posts have been deleted.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
scallywagger
Trainee
Trainee

Postby scallywagger » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:30 pm

That's fine but in that case could you please merge all the relevent topics into a single thread?

Maybe a topic title like:

"Western Digital Caviar Green 1 & 1.5TB HDD Compatibility Issues"

would be appropriate?
Synology DS412+ - DSM5.0-4493U3 - 4 X ST3000DM001-9YN166I - SHR
Western Digital stink!
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm

mod note: ok, I'll discuss this suggestion with Synology moderators next week
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / 16 GB RAM
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS415+ / DSM 6.1.3-15152-7

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
zell
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: CS407 slow with WD15EADS-00P8B0

Postby zell » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi! Just wanted to share my experience with cs407e and 4xWD15EADS-00P.

A week ago I bought it all together from a coworker at a sweet price. He mentioned that he had some speed troubles with the device but I ignored that. First of all i destroyed everything that was there: data, volumes, configuration. Installed new firmware (beta 2.3 which is running smooth) and tried to build a RAID5 volume. That took it almost 34 hours to check parity consistency (btw is that okay for RAID5 4x1.5 TB?) and the fun part starts.

First: boot time - 20 minutes of power and lan leds activity. That's pretty lame even for 266 MHz.
Second: write performance falling down to 200 KB/s and even lower.
Third: responsiveness - directories listing often takes 4 to 6 minutes.

Didn't know where to start digging, but found this forum which explained almost everything. Still think it was a nice deal.

Return to “Western Digital Green Drives Slowness Room”