DS1010+ power and Wake-on-LAN

The general discussion room of 2010 Synology DiskStations.
Do not post support questions in this room, please refer to one of the rooms below for further assistance.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
rmaunder
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS1010+ power and Wake-on-LAN

Unread post by rmaunder » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 am

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a DS1010+ or alternatively a QNAP 459 Pro II. For me the Wake-on-LAN and power management functionality is very important. Two questions:

1. Can someone from Synology tell me the power consumption when sleeping in WOL mode? I see from the online specs

68W(Access);
30W(HDD Hibernation)

However I'd expect the WOL mode should draw far less than this as only the network chipset should be active, listening for WOL packets to wake everything else up. The QNAP 459 quotes three levels

Sleep mode: 19W
In Operation: 35W
Power-off (in WOL mode): 1W

Does the 1010 have an equivalent WOL mode?

2. It seems the 1010+ only supports power off scheduling. Does this make it enter the WOL mode or once off do you need to physically switch it back on again?

Thanks very much

RIchard

Akiland
Skilled
Skilled

Re: DS1010+ power and Wake-on-LAN

Unread post by Akiland » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:59 pm

I think the DS1010+ must be put in some kind of WOL mode when powered off correctly. I have not tested this but it says that WOL only works when the unit is powered off using the front panel button, normal power off or schedueld power off. Not if you for some reason pull the plug...

Does this mean that the DS1010+ actually uses a liiiitle amount of power even when "powered off"? ;P

I have not measured the power consumption when powered off, but I think it can't be more than the 1W Qnap has...

ntm1275
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Unread post by ntm1275 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 am

I have one of those Power Monitor devices and my DS1010+ is registering 1watt when off
DS-1010+ FW 5.2 5565 update 2 - SHR - 5 x Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB hard drives (using 3 drives at the moment to save on power)
DS-209+II FW 4.2 3255 - Raid 0 - 2 x Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB hard drives (on modification shared folder sync (mirroring) from DS-1010+)
DS-207+ FW 3.1 1632 - Raid 0 - 2 x Western Digital WD7500AAKS 750GB hard drives (now passed on to my son in University)
DS-106e FW 3.1 1613 - No longer used, but still sitting on my shelf

rmaunder
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by rmaunder » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks for the replies. So sounds like it has an equivalent mode, which you can schedule it to reach. Another thought - can it enter this state based on a time of non-usage. So in same way the disk idle down after a certain time, can it then power off to WOL?

Or do you have to rely on a scheduled off?

Thanks

Richard

Akiland
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by Akiland » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

No. You have to use schedule off :-)
Possibly you could use some sort of script, but I have no idea ;)

batistuta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by batistuta » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:23 am

Okay, so if I understand this correctly; in order to use the WOL feature you have to enable it in the management section and power you ds down (through scheduled power off or otherwise), and trying to access the ds (by connecting to it in Mac OSX Finder or Windows Explorer for example) would cause the ds to boot up? Does this take as long as a normal boot up? Or how does it compare to a resume from sleep? Does the ds acknowledge it's presence right away to the computer/device waking it, so the connection doesn't time out or something?

Akiland
Skilled
Skilled

Unread post by Akiland » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:33 am

batistuta wrote:Okay, so if I understand this correctly; in order to use the WOL feature you have to enable it in the management section and power you ds down (through scheduled power off or otherwise), and trying to access the ds (by connecting to it in Mac OSX Finder or Windows Explorer for example) would cause the ds to boot up? Does this take as long as a normal boot up? Or how does it compare to a resume from sleep? Does the ds acknowledge it's presence right away to the computer/device waking it, so the connection doesn't time out or something?
Not exactly right. If you enable WOL and shut your DS down, you have to use a software on your computer/phone that is able to send the DS a "WOL packet". If you are simply connecting to it through win/mac os/linux nothing will happen, the DS is actually shut down completely apart from the WOL chipset that is active, using about 1W.
There is a lot of free software out there that you can use to boot up your DS.

Though, I can't boot my DS from outside my LAN, my router does not support the WOL-packet, to bad for me.

pommie
Versed
Versed

Unread post by pommie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 am

If you have a router that supports the customer firmware tomato i would highly recommend it.
The firmware supports WOL and DDNS as well as many other features.

Return to “2010 Synology DiskStation Hardware Discussion”