Failure to mount NFS using ESX 5.5?

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
vmaxhp
Trainee
Trainee

Failure to mount NFS using ESX 5.5?

Postby vmaxhp » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Good morning! I'm trying to mount a datastore from ESX 5.5 pointing to a NAS mount on Synology DS1511+. I've added the NFS permissions on the share I want to mount on the ESX host. I've tried various permissions mappings, and none.. and consistently get the message:

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "192.168.1.200" failed.
NFS mount 192.168.0.77:/volume1/ISO failed: The mount request was denied by the NFS server. Check that the export exists and that the client is permitted to mount it.
An unknown error has occurred.

The Synology NAS (192.168.0.77) is pingable from the ESX host (192.168.1.200)

Thoughts?

Thanks much!
thejae
Novice
Novice

Re: Failure to mount NFS using ESX 5.5?

Postby thejae » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:21 am

Am having the same issue, did u ever solved it?
DS1513 x2; DS1515; DS1815
vmaxhp
Trainee
Trainee

Postby vmaxhp » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:47 am

No. Unfortunately...
igorek24
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby igorek24 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:07 pm

When you create your shared folder , you dont need to change any promissions it should work out of the box. You need to add IP address to truasted on your NAS, go to Control Panel > Shared Folder, select the folder you are trying to mount in ESXi and click 'Edit'. Go to 'NFS Promissions click on Create and enter IP address of your ESXi host, Save and try to connact again.

Fantazy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Fantazy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:39 pm

I know that, in order to use NFS datastore, the no_root_squash option must be used for root: source. Perhaps is that the problem?
djm.rocksoft
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby djm.rocksoft » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:37 am

Still using DSM 4.3 myself but I do remember spending a significant amount of time setting up NFS share for Esxi use which I eventually traced to a DOS (denial of service) protection mechanism in my switch that was preventing the setup working as the mount would never succeed as frames were being quietly dropped. Turning off DOS protection on the ports involved resulted in everything working as expected just following the Synology how-to.

The problem was affecting the initial stages of the NFS protocol resulting in a timeout during the mount operation. As I was having similar difficulties setting up a QNAP NFS share for Esxi I had to look outside of the NAS boxes for the problem. Might be totally irrelevant to your situation but if you are convinced everything is setup correctly (as I was :) ) but it still isn't working, then it's worth looking at other elements involved in the process. Tracing packets flowing between the boxes was the only way I got to the reason behind the issue.

YMMV of course.

DJM

BTW, In my case it was a TP-Link switch that bit me :x
jtek
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby jtek » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Just wanted to respond and say thank you to djm. I had the same issue and had to disable Block SYN-FIN Packets and set the SYN Protection mode to Disable under Denial of Service Protection on a SG-200-18 Cisco switch to get this to work.

Thanks again!

J
synkid57
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby synkid57 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:46 pm

I had this issue with ESX 6. one of my 2 hosts would connect and the other would get this error.
Had to remove 1 of my 2 NFS permissions and just go with * (rather than the ip address).
CoffeeBlack
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby CoffeeBlack » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:08 pm

I had the same problem...

Synology DS412+, ESX free 5.5 sp3 test, and ESX 5.5 sp2 and sp3 with vCenter

I was attempting to move/clone some vm's to a usb 3 device attached to my Syn.

I think I went through all the same steps you guys did...and it would continuously fail. Eventually I checked a couple things:
-NFSv4 is off...running 5.5 sp3 in test env so I have no use for v4. Didn't help.
-connecting to nfs volume as the local internal hd's worked...when I used 10.99.4.*, instead of 10.99.4.25.
-reconnected to nfs vol on the usb drive...changed it to 10.99.4.*...and it connected. (I also had to change the share mount path for USB since it didn't change with the name change for some reason...maybe after a reboot it would have changed?)

Side note...I also have a second network where I set something up similarly, where I had multiple subnets...10.100.4.1-100, 10.100.5.1-100...I used 10.100.*.* and that worked, where it wouldn't prior. (ESX devices on .4, clone to device on .5)

So that is to say, you can probably either do this the right way, by shutting off the ddos functionality on your switch, or by opening it up with a wildcard or two. I suppose both could be considered the wrong way actually...Anyway, that should allow you around that issue in the future.

edit another side note:
I previously had not been using the NFS plugin for VAAI, to recognize Hardware Acceleration for the Synology but installed it after the fact on my test server...
Downloaded the .vib from Synology: http://download.synology.com/ftp/Tools/ ... plugin.vib
Then uploaded it to a datastore on the test host...then installed it via putty:
esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/(my datastore)/(folder location)/(file name).vib --no-sig-check
The no sig check is because it errored out on my test system..."Could not find trusted signer". Try without first, then with if it fails... However, at the end, it did require a reboot of the host, which was pretty disappointing. Afterwards, in Config/Storage/Datastores, the NFS datastore now shows up as Supported for Hardware Acceleration where it was "Not Supported" prior. I currently have no data to show that it is now faster then before, I just thought it was interesting. Now that I've made that change I'm wishing I had waited until running a test Clone first, for comparison later.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”