Can't install Snapshot Manager for vCenter Server

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
guillaume14
I'm New!
I'm New!

Can't install Snapshot Manager for vCenter Server

Postby guillaume14 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi,

Just trying to install Synology Snapshot Manager for vCenter Server v1.1.35 under Windows Server 2012 R2 with vCenter 5.5 Update 1.

When i have to provide the vCenter Server credentials during install i try to use "administrator@vcenter.local" as the login. My only answer is a "Login Failed" dialog box and i can't proceed. On the same machine i can log to vCenter Client with no problem using administrator@vcenter.local and my password.

Thanks in advance
Guillaume
Bm-privat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Can't install Snapshot Manager for vCenter Server

Postby Bm-privat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi there,

Same for me. Running vSphere 5.5u1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and can't install the VMware Plugin due to wrong username/password.

Cheers,

Brian
nZane
Novice
Novice

Postby nZane » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:06 am

Did you guys ever get this working?

I was curious if there was any way to get the snapshot manager to work with the vCenter Server Appliance? Maybe by using a windows server to install the plugin on, but point the plugin to the vCSA. I have never installed the plugin nor do I know how it communicates to the vCenter. Anyone know?
NAS Unit: Synology DS1813+ (DSM 5.0-4482) w/4GB Memory
Hard Drives: 8x WD RE 2TB (WD2000FYYZ) Enterprise HDDs in RAID-10
Power: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
Networking: Cisco SG300-28 Port 1Gbps Layer 3 Managed Switch
nZane
Novice
Novice

Postby nZane » Sat May 03, 2014 5:08 pm

I can't find a document that outlines the installation or requirements for the Synology Snapshot Manager for VMware. I found the release notes and what is on the feature list, which doesn't clearly indicate if the plugin gets installed on the Windows guest VM or if it gets installed in the vCenter Server. I am really not sure. :evil: Maybe just gets installed on the guest if I am reading this correctly. <shrugs>

Snapshot Manager
Synology Snapshot Manager software plugin available on vSphere and Windows Server environments to create application-consistent snapshots in DSM.

For VMware environments, you can install Synology Snapshot Manager for VMware vCenter Server on Windows Server. After installation, when a snapshot is triggered on DSM, vCenter Server will be notified and flush all the data from memory to the LUN to guarantee data consistency. Once the snapshot is complete, vCenter Server will resume normal I/O operation of VMware datastore.

For Windows environment, you can install Synology Snapshot Manager for Windows Server. After installation, when a snapshot is triggered on DSM, Synology Snapshot Manager will use the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) technology to produce consistent point-in-time copies of data. Synology Snapshot Manager for Windows Server also supports performing snapshots when triggered by 3rd party software via VSS.

Synology Snapshot Manager for VMware vCenter Server supports vSphere 5.1 or later, and vSphere web client server plugin is required for application interface. Snapshot Manager for Windows supports Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2. VMWare applications support up to 3 maximum concurrent snapshot tasks.
dustymiller
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby dustymiller » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:53 am

The plugin is installed on your vCenter server, and you then connect it via its configuration in Vcenter to your Synology.
nZane
Novice
Novice

Postby nZane » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 am

dustymiller wrote:The plugin is installed on your vCenter server, and you then connect it via its configuration in Vcenter to your Synology.

Does it work with vCenter Server Appliance?

Thanks
nZane
Novice
Novice

Postby nZane » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:34 pm

nZane wrote:
dustymiller wrote:The plugin is installed on your vCenter server, and you then connect it via its configuration in Vcenter to your Synology.

Thanks

Update: This plugin requires a Windows Server with both the VMware Web Client and the vSphere CLI installed on the server you install this plugin on.
warlord
Trainee
Trainee

Postby warlord » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:16 pm

nZane wrote:

Thanks

This was exactly what I wanted to ask. It appears not, but does anyone know if there is a Linux version planned? Seems a shame I can manage the Equallogic snapshot stuff, but would really like to do the same with the Synology.
DS214play - MailServer, MailStation, DHCP, DNS, Direcotry Server, Download Station, iTunes, Media Server, Photo Station, Video Station, CouchPotato, SickBeard
Bm-privat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Bm-privat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:16 pm

I'm based in Switzerland and even though my OS language is English my regional settings are German/Switzerland.
As soon you change that to US/English the installer works like a charm.

I raised a support ticket and Synology confirmed that they could reproduce the problem.
Assume this problem will get fixed in a future version.

Cheers Brian
nZane
Novice
Novice

Postby nZane » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:12 am

I am not exactly sure what settings your talking about, but all my settings on NAS & vCenter Servers are US English and it doesn't work for me. I cannot register the NAS. I get an error but I see packets going out of the vCenter server.

P.S. I am using a Windows Server 2012 R2 for my vCenter Server.
nZane
Novice
Novice

Postby nZane » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:58 am

Actually I just figured out my problem was related to strict firewall rules. Because there is no documentation for the Snapshot Manager, I was unaware that TCP port 3262 (iSCSI Target) on the NAS needed to be allowed from the vCenter server.

Cheers,
Ash
Bm-privat
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Bm-privat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Synology has now released a new version:

Version : 1.1-0041

(2014/11/20)
Fixed an issue where Snapshot Manager Plug-in for VMware could not be installed if the language setting of the Windows Server on which vCenter Server is installed is not English.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/rele ... r%20VMware

Will try to install it and will get back to you all........
GreyW01f
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby GreyW01f » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:45 pm

I am having the exact same problem. Doesn't matter what account I try to log in with during the installation, it continues to prompt me for an administrator account.
Even though I'm logged in with an administrator account.

Vmware vSphere 5.1 and Windows 2008 R2
nZane
Novice
Novice

Postby nZane » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 am

GreyW01f wrote:I am having the exact same problem. Doesn't matter what account I try to log in with during the installation, it continues to prompt me for an administrator account.
Even though I'm logged in with an administrator account.

Vmware vSphere 5.1 and Windows 2008 R2

Been a while since I have logged in. Sounds like maybe you are experiencing a connectivity issues...

Actually I just figured out my problem was related to strict firewall rules. Because there is no documentation for the Snapshot Manager, I was unaware that TCP port 3262 (iSCSI Target) on the NAS needed to be allowed from the vCenter server.
twz2004
Trainee
Trainee

Postby twz2004 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:51 am

Hey folks,

So it appears there is an issue again with the Synology Snapshot Manager. With our new release of vCenter 6 and vSphere 6.0, we are changing the architecture for how vCenter is deployed incorporating a PSC (Platform Service Controller) into the mix for better resiliency in a multi-site scenario. Regardless if you are using the Appliance Version or Windows Version it appears that SSM isn't able to detect that the web service installed.

This is vCenter 6.0 installed on Windows 2012 R2 w/ x1 PSC deployed in the environment.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”