iSCSI Targets and VMware

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
gkotn
I'm New!
I'm New!

iSCSI Targets and VMware

Postby gkotn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Hello.

I have DS-509+ box attached via iSCSI to 2 VMware ESX 3.5 U4 servers.

The problem is that all defined iSCSI targets on DS509+ box have same LUN ID when presented to VMware hosts and I didn't find any option to change LUN ID. Result is that VMware sees only the first iSCSI target (LUN ID 0) - all the others iSCSI targets are seen as the first one but through different SCSI controllers (SCSI Target 0, SCSI Target 1, ...) - they have different iSCSI names as defined on DS509+ box (iqn.2010-01 ...) but the same size as the first one.

Is there any workaround except that I create one big iSCSI target?

I have effective capacity of 3.5 TB in this NAS box and VMware limitation is 2TB (LUN size, Datastore Size) in ESX version 3.5. I don't wan't to upgrade to vSphere 4 just to be able to see all the capacity.

Are there any changes planned in new release of firmware and if they are, when will it be available ?

Thanks,
Gordan
chasler
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: iSCSI Targets and VMware

Postby chasler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 am

Hi,

I have the same issue. For information on vSphere 4 you have the same limitations :
- Only 2TB per iSCSI target
- All synology iSCSI Target have lun 0, son you can only connect the first target!

I hope this issue will be solved by a new firmware (soon...?)
gkotn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby gkotn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Tnx for the info.

Hopefully someone from Synology would read this post and do something.
vm.franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby vm.franklin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 pm

@all

I'm consulting with our engineers about this, I'll post an update when it is available.

Hope this helps
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Library ~ SynologyWiki ~ Synology FAQ ~ Compatibility Lists
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
Demo Links ~ DSM GUI ~ Photo Station
Downloads ~ Firmware Downloads ~ Beta Program
Support ~ Support Form ~ Submit Kernel Log ~ Synology eNews
halastrion
Student
Student

Postby halastrion » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 am

I love this forum... I just installed VMWare 4.0 last week and was trying to figure out how to do this and here is a thread already... Pretty helpful. Hopefully they'll find a fix for the single volume soon...

I'm going to read through the Wiki some more.

John...
vm.franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby vm.franklin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:01 am

Just as an update for everyone

1. We did change the LUN ID on the iSCSI Targets on the DiskStation - this does not prevent Vmware ESXi 4 from connecting to all the Targets hosted on the DiskStation
1a. User-changeable LUN IDs for iSCSI Targets is on the list for our developers to add in future coming DiskStation Manager firmware
2. Deploying a Fedora 10 with 2 different iSCSI Targets with different LUN IDs did not prevent Vmware from connecting to all of the Targets.

We are still looking into this - please note that a resolution may not come as quickly - as we have seen VMware grab two targets on a regular Fedora computer.

Hope this helps.
**Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!**
Forum Links ~ Forum Policy ~ 3rd-party forums ~ Help us help you ~ Posting Images
tris
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tris » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Any update on this issue?
Any way that we can change LUN ID's in a configuration file (through ssh)?

Regards
Tris
vm.franklin
Synology Inc
Synology Inc

Postby vm.franklin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:19 am

Greetings tris

As stated previously, changing the LUN ID does not resolve the error of ESXi grabbing all of the iSCSI Targets on a Synology DiskStation or even a regular Linux Computer. We are looking at alternative solutions - however I do not believe that these solutions will be available in the short term.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for.
Devious Dog
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Devious Dog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 pm

:evil: I think it is rather stupid that you are allowed to create more than one LUN when the Synology product cannot support it. I am NOT impressed, I have been using Synology boxes for the past 6+ years and currently have a DS409+, renewing my NAS solution every 2+ years. I do thank Synology for the iSCSI LUNs as I run my home ESXi cluster from it, however I did want a logical grouping.. Hence I want a second LUN. May have to swap to a QNAP.
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Have a look at the DSM 3.0 Beta FW 1285. The iSCSI functionality has been expanded.

http://www.synology.com/enu/DSM3.0/iSCSI_Support.php
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS415+ / DSM 6.1.1-15101-1 / ST4000VN000-2AH166
DS713+ / DSM 6.1.1-15101-1 / HD501LJ + HD502IJ (RAID0)
DS712+ / DSM 6.1-15047-2 / HD154UI + ST31000340AS (RAID0)

2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
tshioda
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tshioda » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 am

Hi,

I'm just new on this forum and just read this message. I encounter the same issue, although we are more than 2 years further. When is it expected there will be a fix on this? Or are there any work arounds to create multiple LUNs with different LUN IDs?
Thanks
Jon Lockwood
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Jon Lockwood » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:00 am

I see this is a fairly old post but I am having serious issues with my new RS3614xs+ and hope there is a simple solution to the connectivity issues I am experiencing.

The device looks promising via the literature but getting it online in the DC has been nothing but problem free. One of my big problems is that I have 6 esxi5.5 hosts (5 production and 1 dev) and 4 UltraStor RS8-IP4 san devices running in vSphere. Trying to place the RS3614 device on my main iSCSI network but I already have RS8 san's on LUN's 0,1,2, and 6.

I am not a real hard core-storage guru but was shocked that there was no option to assign a LUN ID at the time of creating the LUN in DSM 5.1.

I am able to connect to the device via a separate subnet but my iSCSI subnet is an isolated 10G network and testing real performance requires that I run on the iSCSI network. I equipped the RS3614xs+ with an intel dual 10gbe adapter but it is not very useful on a 1gb subnet.

Is there any way to change the LUN_ID during or after creating the LUN? I have been searching google for an SSH option but have not found anything concrete at this point.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”