DSM 5.2 via VMware on DSM 6 ?

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
SpaceCompany
I'm New!
I'm New!

DSM 5.2 via VMware on DSM 6 ?

Postby SpaceCompany » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:51 pm

dear folks,

forgive me if, as brand new user, unfortunally posted this topic in the wrong collection, used the search engine for an hour, and thought I would make the right choise.

My question...

I justed to run DSM 5.2 on a RS815RP+ and upgraded the DSM to the current version DSM 6.1.2-15132...
One of the packages on 5.2 I loved the most, was the SIP software Asterisk...

Is there a way, to run DSM 5.2 as a virtual machine on the same hardware as where my main DSM 6.1.2-15132 is running ?

I found out that there is a possibility to run DSM.5.2 on software XPEnology, but that runs on complete different hardware... And as I am in love with my RS815RP+.. would switching to different hardware, feel the same like cheeting on my RS...

Anyone that has some good suggestions ?
Squozen
Ace
Ace

Re: DSM 5.2 via VMware on DSM 6 ?

Postby Squozen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Have you considered running Asterisk as a Docker package?
SpaceCompany
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby SpaceCompany » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Squozen wrote:Have you considered running Asterisk as a Docker package?

Yes I have taken this in concideration, but for somehow I was not able to get docker working properly... If you would have any help or advice in the right direction, it would really be appreciated.

However, despite the dated version of Asteriks on DSM 5.2.... it was quiet a nice version, but i am always into new things... ;)
Squozen
Ace
Ace

Postby Squozen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 am

I can't give much help with Docker, it 'just worked' for me. The only thing you need to do is make sure you map ports through to the Docker package and tell it which volumes it's allowed to have access to.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”