Is it posible to put a VM (for Linux or Windows, ect) on a Synology NAS?

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
RDabate1976
Rookie
Rookie

Is it posible to put a VM (for Linux or Windows, ect) on a Synology NAS?

Postby RDabate1976 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Folks,

I've googled a bit, and found some home brew methods that were out of date. I'm looking to see if it's possible or if a package exists that would allow me to import a virtual image from something like VirutalBox?

Is this possible?
eaz
Distinguished
Distinguished

Re: Is it posible to put a VM (for Linux or Windows, ect) on a Synology NAS?

Postby eaz » Mon May 01, 2017 8:43 pm

In theory, it should be possible. The truth is, that you probably don,t want to do it. We all know a Synology competitor that market their NAS capable of running a VM. If you do so, you buy their 8GB model, and cry tears about its performance, miss drivers and end up buying a mini server after all.
The nas processors and memoy are not really up to the task, and if so, you wou!d buy a unit that has enough memory and cpu to run a vm, you would pay a lot of money.
You wou!d be better off buying a brix, a nuc or something if you would like to run the vm in a decent way.
Just keep the NAS where it is good at: data storage, streaming, data server, web server etc.
good luck!
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
RDabate1976
Rookie
Rookie

Postby RDabate1976 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 pm

That's good advice. Thanks. :)
Rusty1281
Wizard
Wizard

Postby Rusty1281 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:38 pm

If there will be an option to import from VB thats something that we will have to wait and see. Syno is preparing its Virtual DSM package and converting it into VMM (Virtual Machine Manager) package that should support Win VMs natively.

Q2 is the expected release: https://www.synology.com/en-global/comp ... 7/Synology®%20presents%20live%20at%20CeBIT%202017

...A special highlight is the new Synology Virtual Machine Manager Beta version. To demonstrate the quality and capability of the soon to be released Virtual Machine Manager Beta version...

Image: https://ibb.co/eCdA1F

But that said, I agree with @eaz 100%. VMM will be a paid (license model) and that might get a bit expensive depending on the number of VMs and ofc it will kill your box. Separate box for this with a free hypervisor (like esxi or something similar) will be a much better investment and experience in the end.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
synology_ukman
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby synology_ukman » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 pm

"Like ESXi", yeah that would be cheap.
Rusty1281
Wizard
Wizard

Postby Rusty1281 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:20 pm

synology_ukman wrote:"Like ESXi", yeah that would be cheap.

Not sure whats tripping you here? esxi is free for non commercial use.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
ashrafn007
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ashrafn007 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:09 pm

I was searching for a way to install VMs on my Synology since 2015. Today I received an email from Synology for "Synology Virtual Machine Manager" webinar; 18th of May :D , you have to wait around a month until they release it officially,

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”