Volume often at 100% and best configuration for our equipment

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
lucacalcaterra
I'm New!
I'm New!

Volume often at 100% and best configuration for our equipment

Unread post by lucacalcaterra » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi,

in our company we use 2 Xenserver hosts configured in a pool with shared storage on NFS which resides on a Synology DS415+ (SHR2 X 4 disk - 4Tb every one). We have another DS415+ with same storage size and configuration.

Btrfs works quite well but we have often 100% volume utilization on NAS causing vm guests slowdown and... since Xen doesn't take advantages of Synology benefits for virtualization we essentially don't need btrfs file system.

How is the best configuration can you suggest me for performance? Do you think upgrading to a better Synology model we can gain performance ?

Another thing i would to like to have is replicating storage like a SAN but seem's the only way is Synology HA technology... seems to much overhead to manage it.

Can you give me some of your opinion or advice?

Thanks,

Luca

Squozen
Navigator
Navigator

Re: Volume often at 100% and best configuration for our equipment

Unread post by Squozen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 pm

SHR-2 for a 4-disk array will be hideous for performance (as you're finding). I would suggest using RAID10 instead which gives the same amount of space but doesn't suffer the same write penalty as SHR-2.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”