iSCSI vs NFS for millions of files

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
BudTheGrey
I'm New!
I'm New!

iSCSI vs NFS for millions of files

Postby BudTheGrey » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm looking to get the best performance for my mail server. It is Kerio connect running a Debian VM under VMWare 5.5. The data store is approximately 1.8TB, with literally 10's of millions of files.

I've read lots of write up on the 'net on the whole "iSCSI vs NFS" topic. It appears that most people prefer NFS, but any test I've found dealt with transfer of large files, when I have the opposite problem. As I see it, I have three ways I can set this up:

Create an iSCSI LUN, and put the VMDK there
    Create an NFS storage object, and put the VMDK there
    Mount a shared Synology folder directly withing the Linux VM

Which is likely to perform best? I have no SSD caching, and right now that is not an option.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”