iSCSI MPIO configuration in a HA cluster?

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
jsingh
I'm New!
I'm New!

iSCSI MPIO configuration in a HA cluster?

Postby jsingh » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:32 am

We are currently testing SHA between two RS3614XS devices before we move into production. We have LAN1 to LAN4 configured with static IP individually on same subnet. LAN5 (10Gbps SFP+ card) is our heartbeat. Our issue is that we can't get iSCSI MPIO to work properly between our ESXi hosts and Synology once the SHA is enabled. I know that once the cluster is established, we have to stick with using just the single cluster IP address for everything and not touch other IPs. But the problem is, the way I understand is that the cluster IP address is attached to a single LAN port for the data network connection (this was selected during the initial cluster setup wizard). We had selected LAN1 in this case. I have configured iSCSI MPIO on the ESXi hosts correctly (I do it all the time) and I see multiple active paths, VMware RR is active and IOPS per path are set to 3, etc. BUT, the data flow between ESXi host and Synology happens only on Synology LAN1 and the other LAN ports remain idle. How can we get other other LAN ports to play here?

I tried to become clever and assigned the other network interfaces (LAN2, 3 and 4) a manual cluster IP address (after enabling SHA) and used those addresses in the static discovery of iSCSI port binding. This way I was able to get MPIO working BUT only when writing to Synology (although little flaky). When reading from Synology it defaulted only to LAN1 and could not exceed 1Gbps.

I also tried bonding LAN1, 2 and 3, reconfigured HA and tried to get iSCSI MPIO to work but it didn't as expected. MPIO and bonding (teaming, LAG, etc.) does not work together.

MPIO is meant to utilise multiple network interfaces. This worked fine prior to enabling SHA as we could connect to individual IP addresses of network interfaces. I can't believe that iSCSI MPIO is not fully supported when SHA is enabled! Any ideas or any one of you have experienced similar issues?
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Re: iSCSI MPIO configuration in a HA cluster?

Postby syno.dustin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:40 pm

It's supported and even mentioned in the white paper: https://global.download.synology.com/do ... _Paper.pdf
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
Lacroix2k3
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: iSCSI MPIO configuration in a HA cluster?

Postby Lacroix2k3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Have you find a way to solve it ? We have the same issue with two RS3617xs+ in HA.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”