VMware ATS Locking on Synology DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
dgu@1access.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

VMware ATS Locking on Synology DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

Postby dgu@1access.com » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:06 pm

Just wanted to put up a warning post here for people that might get into the same issues we have been having. We are on a RC18015xs+ cluster, running 15k RPM Seagates and 7200RPM WD drives in different LUN groups. We updated the DSM on the system up to 6.0.1.7393-Update2 to correct an issue with stability. Once done, one of our LUNs began reporting to our VMWare ESXi 6.0Update1 server that ATS Initialization failed. After working with VMware support for a while on this, the only way we were able to get the volume to remount on our ESXi cluster was to disable ATS locking on the whole host. (to be specific, the command was:

Code: Select all

esxcli system settings advanced set -i 0 -o /VMFS3/HardwareAcceleratedLocking

Synology support bounced emails back and forth with me for a week, then finally revealed that this was a known issue, and said:

After speaking with out developers it appears that this is a know issue.
In before DSM 5.2 we provided the wrong ATS information and that issue has since be corrected in DSM 6.0+.
However, remounting the original LUN may experience such issue.
As for other LUNs, the ATS feature of other LUNs may show correctly in the VMware before DiskStation upgrade to DSM6.0, however, we can't confirm right now.
So what we can do at the moment is help confirm you are able to mount the iscsi LUN without problem, and ATS feature of all LUNS is showing correctly in the VMware.

This read to me that it was supposed to be fixed in 6.0+, but they replied that all they could do to help was what I had already done to turn of ATS locking. There was no ETA of a fix, and per the developers:
So basically, it seems that as long as you are able to mount the LUN successfully that is all that they are able to do currently, but they are aware of the situation.

Needless to say, both me as a reseller and my customer are mortified at this lack of support. The RC- platform has been fraught with problems since we bought it, from hourly reboots during the first 3 months of its life to now not even supporting advanced locking, thus slowing down all the LUNs on the whole host. Be careful - I for one have little choice but to relegate what I was hoping to be the new low cost SAN for 2-3 node VMware clusters back to the back burner for backup and secondary storage duty.
cannfoddr
Beginner
Beginner

Re: VMware ATS Locking on Synology DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

Postby cannfoddr » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 am

Did you get anywhere with this - I am in exactly the same position.

Because I had third part packages installed on the NAS Synology Support refused to deal with me unless I removed them first and went back to vanilla, despite the problem obviously being with the VMWare integration.

I am running with locking disabled and I can see not way of resolving this.

Would I be better moving from iSCSI to NFS?
dgu@1access.com
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: VMware ATS Locking on Synology DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

Postby dgu@1access.com » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Unfortunately, no. I have had no further development on this. I certainly am not in a position to turn locking back on since these are production systems. Sorry...hope your situation improves!

As to NFS vs. iSCSI, there are pros and cons to both. I'd stick with iSCSI myself on this platform.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”