Volume Utilization Issues with VMs

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
marke72
I'm New!
I'm New!

Volume Utilization Issues with VMs

Postby marke72 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 pm

So I'm trying to find out the best way to connect my Synology RS2416+ to my ESXi host. My current setup:

Model: RS2416+
DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2
6144 MB RAM
Four 5TB WD Red Pro 7200 RPM with 128MB Cache that are setup into one Volume with Synology Hybrid RAID one disk fault tolerance
SSD Cache: One 512GB Kingston SSDNow KC400
NFS is setup with one folder for 5 VMs

Now when some sort of activity is going on, the Volume utilization climbs up to 100% and stays there until the activity is finished while the disk utilization is at about 50-65%. This is causing all 5 VMs to slow down tremendously. Obviously I don't have it set up right so I am just wondering what is the best way to do this.
We had originally tried iSCSI but it appears DSM 6 is having issues with dropping connections. And with it dropping the connection it causes the ESXi host to become unresponsive resulting in a manual reboot. It's happened at least 4 times since we first got everything set up 2 weeks ago so since then we have switch to NFS.
But like I said before, I am seeing very poor performance which appears to be something to do with the fact that the Volume utilization is being maxed out. I wonder if it's because of my RAID setup with using SHR or possibly because all of the drives are in one Volume. I was just wondering if someone who knows a little bit more about storage could help me figure this out. I am thinking of switching to RAID 10 but will that help at all? Also if I were to get more drives would setting up multiple volumes be better? Thanks in advanced.
marke72
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Volume Utilization Issues with VMs

Postby marke72 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:55 pm

So I switched to a RAID10 configuration and moved a virtual machine onto an iSCSI LUN instead but still when the virtual machine gets going to do it's thing, the Volume utilization is high and causes the one virtual machine to become slow and unresponsive until it finally finishes what it's doing. Maybe I need more disks? I can't figure out why the Volume utilization would be so high and the disk would be half of that. Nothing else is running except the virtual machine on the disk. No extra packages other than what is there. Anyone else having this issue or knows how to fix it? I would like to know who else uses VMware virtual machines on a Synology device and what your configuration is to see how I can fix this issue.
marke72
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Volume Utilization Issues with VMs

Postby marke72 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:53 pm

We switch to four 1TB SSDs and everything has sped up so much. The volume utilization isn't an issue anymore. So it must of just been the HDDs. Maybe if I had more I wouldn't have an issue but for now these SSDs work wonders. I can't see a reason not to just use SSDs with Synology (except for price).

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”