Running windows server on Synology

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
kjuze
I'm New!
I'm New!

Running windows server on Synology

Postby kjuze » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:53 pm

Hello.

I would like to run both DSM and Windows server (VM) at the same time on my NAS. So it will work like a have two different "server" altough its only one hardware.

Is this possible todo? First install vmware and then windows server via usb?

Please help me, I feel a bit lost..

I have read about iSCSI and LUNA but what does that have todo with this? Im not intersted in storage, im interested of running windows on the same machine.

Please help :)

This guy seem to be able todo it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSPWTNtTl30
SDirickson
Guru
Guru

Re: Running windows server on Synology

Postby SDirickson » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:43 am

You misunderstood what he said and showed. The VM was running on the VMWare server; it was using iSCSI LUNs on the NAS boxes for storage.

You can run a headless VirtualBox server on a Synology box; check out this thread.
kjuze
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby kjuze » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks.

I have now installed phpvirtualbox, this is what happend:

I added a new "session" and asked if a wanted to create a new virtual drive at 25 gb, I pressed yes.
Once done I pressed play and got halted to choose an ISO image which I did. I could view what was happening through the console function. I did the different options like language etc and then the files started copying and installing just like normal. At 20 % done the session was paused. I checked the logs and it said no hard drive space left.

So I thought that I needed to free up space. I have 4 drives and all 4 are used for regular Surology share. So I deleted a share, created a new one with smaller size so it would be some left over to create the virtual drive for virtual box.

That [Please control your language] up phpvirtualbox, when I click the icon now I get asked to type in admin admin like regular but after that it says I can't connect to 127.0.0.1.

I tried uninstalling phpvirtualbox, installing it to different shares and also disabling the web service.

So my problem now is I destoryed the phpvirtualbox. It must be some files left somewhere I need to delete before I can install it again and get it working?

And ones I get it working, what was does the initial problems with the virtual hard drive running out of space during installing?
Last edited by kjuze on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PaulS
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby PaulS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:57 pm

You must be either a troll, or the last person in the world who should be attempting things like that.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”