Synology NAS iSCSI + VMware

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
JCChristian
Novice
Novice

Synology NAS iSCSI + VMware

Postby JCChristian » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 am

I don't know much about this "world", but my intent would be to have my VM storage on the NAS so that I could run those VMs in any computer on the network. Is that possible?

I know how to create an iSCSI and LUN inside Synology DSM but I don't know how to connect to them. I already looked on the Internet and it seemed complicated and I don't really know if that's what I'm looking for.

Can I do this using a VMware Workstation or do I need vSphere/vCenter?
jetkins
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Synology NAS iSCSI + VMware

Postby jetkins » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:39 am

JCChristian wrote:I don't know much about this "world", but my intent would be to have my VM storage on the NAS so that I could run those VMs in any computer on the network. Is that possible?

I know how to create an iSCSI and LUN inside Synology DSM but I don't know how to connect to them. I already looked on the Internet and it seemed complicated and I don't really know if that's what I'm looking for.

If you want to actually run the VMs on various computers using VMware Workstation, then iSCSI is not for you - you're better off simply putting the VM files on a regular SMB shared folder and mapping it to the Workstation machines.

On the other hand, if you're talking about actually running the VMs in one place and accessing them from multiple machines, then ESXi and the vSphere client are what you need, and iSCSI is a viable option - though a simpler option would still be to use a regular shared folder and access it via NFS. However, configuring iSCSI on ESXi is outside the scope of this support forum.
DS1815+ / DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2 / Kingston KVR16LS11/4 RAM module (6GB total)
6x 3TB WD Red SHR2 (Primary Volume), 2x 1.5TB Seagate SHR (CrashPlan local backups)
RAID IS NOT BACKUP http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31745-data-recovery-tales-raid-is-not-backup
JCChristian
Novice
Novice

Postby JCChristian » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:18 pm

jetkins wrote:
JCChristian wrote:I don't know much about this "world", but my intent would be to have my VM storage on the NAS so that I could run those VMs in any computer on the network. Is that possible?

If you want to actually run the VMs on various computers using VMware Workstation, then iSCSI is not for you - you're better off simply putting the VM files on a regular SMB shared folder and mapping it to the Workstation machines.

On the other hand, if you're talking about actually running the VMs in one place and accessing them from multiple machines, then ESXi and the vSphere client are what you need, and iSCSI is a viable option - though a simpler option would still be to use a regular shared folder and access it via NFS. However, configuring iSCSI on ESXi is outside the scope of this support forum.

My NAS isn't that powerful to run all VMs like that, I prefer the second way where each station do the computing of the VM. So, just installing the VM files on the NAS and connecting via SMB/NFS will do the trick, right?
jetkins
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby jetkins » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:21 pm

JCChristian wrote:My NAS isn't that powerful to run all VMs like that, I prefer the second way where each station do the computing of the VM. So, just installing the VM files on the NAS and connecting via SMB/NFS will do the trick, right?

Neither of the options I suggested involves running the VMs on the NAS - if you wanted to host them on a free ESXi host you would need another dedicated machine for that. But yes, SMB/NFS will work fine if you want to run them under Workstation.
6x 3TB WD Red SHR2 (Primary Volume), 2x 1.5TB Seagate SHR (CrashPlan local backups)
RAID IS NOT BACKUP http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-features/31745-data-recovery-tales-raid-is-not-backup
JCChristian
Novice
Novice

Postby JCChristian » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:35 pm

jetkins wrote:
JCChristian wrote:My NAS isn't that powerful to run all VMs like that, I prefer the second way where each station do the computing of the VM. So, just installing the VM files on the NAS and connecting via SMB/NFS will do the trick, right?

Neither of the options I suggested involves running the VMs on the NAS - if you wanted to host them on a free ESXi host you would need another dedicated machine for that. But yes, SMB/NFS will work fine if you want to run them under Workstation.

Hum... OK!

So, this would be like:

1. Create a Shared folder on NAS called "VM"
2. Download an ISO of any system in any computer
3. Start VMware Workstation and install like normal, BUT pointing the installation to "VM/ubuntu" let's say
4. Repeat for every system that I need running via VM
5. Done

Is that right?
jetkins
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby jetkins » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:51 pm

JCChristian wrote:1. Create a Shared folder on NAS called "VM"
2. Download an ISO of any system in any computer
3. Start VMware Workstation and install like normal, BUT pointing the installation to "VM/ubuntu" let's say
4. Repeat for every system that I need running via VM
5. Done

Is that right?

Exactly - you could even put the ISOs on the NAS too, to save having to download them multiple times. And if you want multiple versions of basically the same VM, I would install one, customize it how you want it, then shut it down and create clones from within Workstation.
JCChristian
Novice
Novice

Postby JCChristian » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks, just a little question: I was reading about VirtualBox and iSCSI and I found this topic - https://dimitrisli.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/synology-virtualbox-and-iscsi/

It's really straightforward, and seems to work fine, but you said it isn't possible to use iSCSI this way, so I was confused. It seems a solution that would work for me, VM storage on NAS and clients on various stations connecting to it via iSCSI, no external servers.

UPDATE: IT'S ALIVE!

I followed this tutorial: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Computers

It's really, really, easy.

1. Setup your iSCSI LUN on the NAS
2. Setup your iSCSI Target on the NAS
3. On Windows machine: Go to iSCSI Initiator and look for the target you created (it should auto detect)
4. Map this target to a "local HDD". It will be like a normal HDD on "My Computer" but it's on the NAS
5. Launch VMware normally and install in advanced mode and select to install the VM using a logical disk
6. Done
jetkins
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby jetkins » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:55 am

Cool - glad you got it working. I was unaware it was so easy to set up iSCSI under Windows these days.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”