ESXi, Storage & LUNs

This room is for the discussion of how the Synology DiskStation can meet the storage needs for Virtual HyperVisors.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
sheylock
I'm New!
I'm New!

ESXi, Storage & LUNs

Postby sheylock » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:15 am

Hey Forum,

we got ourselves a RS2414RP+ that we'll most likely load up with a bunch of drives and spares, adding up to around 32TB of disk space, and connect that to 2-4 ESXi 5.5 servers through iSCSI.

Reading through a couple of VMware documentations, HowTos and forums it seems they advice against using a single large LUN on any storage attached like that for several reasons (filled up I/O queues, VMs on the same LUN negatively impacting each other, etc.), as long as you don't have any specific requirements to do so (huge DB server running on a single LUN for example).

Before I get started on the project now I was wondering if there are any similar guidelines available from Synology regarding this topic as well, or if any of you have made their own experiences in similar environments?! Tried some searching around but couldn't come up with anything (yet).

Thanks in advance.
-S
SDirickson
Guru
Guru

Re: ESXi, Storage & LUNs

Postby SDirickson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:00 pm

You should also be aware of the difference between block-level and file-level LUNs. Block-level is faster, but file-level is a lot more flexible.
darrenlin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: ESXi, Storage & LUNs

Postby darrenlin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:15 am

It depends how heavy your VM workload is. If all workloads are not super heavy (like Exchange 2013 running 200 mailboxes or SQL server handling 10000+ daily transactions) You can try to store all virtual disks in a single LUN. Observe the performance of each VM and check any of them is noisy - i.e. consume a lot of resources.

If you think storage capacity is not enough, simply expand your disk array. If performance is not expected, you can either -
1. Move some VMs to dedicated RAID.
2. Add SSD cache for the volume on which iSCSI resides.
3. Move some VMs to SSD array for heavy I/O workload.

Another method is to configure SIOC if you've got VMware Enterprise Plus license.

Return to “Virtual HyperVisors (VMWare/ESXi)”