Restore iSCSI LUN configuration

All questions regarding the Synology system as a iSCSI Target can go here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
thenod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Restore iSCSI LUN configuration

Unread post by thenod » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:32 am

Hello,

Another new guy to iSCSI. Been having hardware issues with my DS1815+ and worry it may need to be replace. No issues with the drives (that I can tell). Unit just seems to reset randomly.

Anyway, if I was to replace the system with a new 1815+, can I simply move the drives over and easily restore everything exactly as is currently (including iSCSI config)?

Seems like the configuration backup lists being able to save most settings, but it doesn't specifically cite the iSCSI LUN setup. Wondering if I need to take additional action(s).

Thanks,

-Tn

MrTomasz
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Restore iSCSI LUN configuration

Unread post by MrTomasz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 pm

1. Do a full backup.
2. Replace HW.
3. Insert disks.
4. Re-part disks.
5. Restore backup / recreate LUNs.

I would not just put a disks into new HW just like that...

thenod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by thenod » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:18 am

MrTomasz wrote:1. Do a full backup.
2. Replace HW.
3. Insert disks.
4. Re-part disks.
5. Restore backup / recreate LUNs.

I would not just put a disks into new HW just like that...
Thank you MrTomasz. Unfortunately, I think the power supply finally croaked on my unit and I am unable to get it running anymore. Based on your suggestion, it sounds like I cannot simply move the disks to a new unit? I'll actually lose data?? If so, that is a major issue. I had figured I could at least restore everything except the iSCSI config—but had not figured I might lose all the data.

MrTomasz
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by MrTomasz » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 am

Actually, iSCSI config is a simple.test file, so maybe it's not over yet...

Are you going to replace power unit only or whole device?

Number your disks, so you will not mess them up when reinserting.

Personally, I would find a alinux machine where I could connect them all and mount partitions at least in read-only state and start dumping....

thenod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by thenod » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:29 am

MrTomasz wrote:Actually, iSCSI config is a simple.test file, so maybe it's not over yet...

Are you going to replace power unit only or whole device?

Number your disks, so you will not mess them up when reinserting.

Personally, I would find a alinux machine where I could connect them all and mount partitions at least in read-only state and start dumping....

I found the following tutorial on Synology's site.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... _and_later

This seems to give hope that I can "migrate" all the existing disks to a replacement unit. But what still isn't clear is how the iSCSI LUN will be handled. I am super nervous about the possibility of losing the LUN and the data. So much so that I may just buy an entirely new set of units and start playing with things using different disks so that I can get a better feel for what is going to likely happen.

thenod
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by thenod » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:08 am

Update:

I found another long thread regarding the 1815+ units. Lots of them going belly up it seems. https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 7&t=119727

Good news: After some tech support with Synology, they are hooking me up with a replacement unit since I am still under warranty.

However, I was impatient and decided to just buy another unit to get back up and running sooner. I'll use the replacement unit for redundancy.

Now for some awesome news:

I simply swapped the disks from dead unit to new unit and virtually everything came back up and worked! I was shocked when my iSCSI connections just appeared! I had a few minor settings to tweak (since MAC addresses changed etc), but man was it great to see things back and alive. I figured I would be in for some painful migration/reconfiguration/recovery, but instead it just booted up and worked! Very smooth. Has restored some of my lost faith in Synology here. Granted, I am still worried about the longevity of these units.

So if you find yourself in the same boat, with a dead 1815+, there is a good chance you'll be up and running quickly if you replace the unit with another of the exact model.

Cheers!

Return to “iSCSI Target”