Best Link Aggregation mode for iSCSI

All questions regarding the Synology system as a iSCSI Target can go here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
manleyjw
I'm New!
I'm New!

Best Link Aggregation mode for iSCSI

Unread post by manleyjw » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm planning to bond two of my 1Gig NICs on my RS3617 and connect the NICs to a Cisco 3650.

The iSCSI LUNs will be available to two ESX servers that have dedicated iSCSI NICs as well.

I have a VLAN configured for my iSCSI traffic to the servers that the NICs will be attached to.

There are four different link aggregation choices for the bond. Which would be the best to use for this configuration?

dognose
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Best Link Aggregation mode for iSCSI

Unread post by dognose » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 pm

You shouldn't use trunks for ISCSI access.

A trunk of "two 1 Gbit Nics" will be able to spit out 2 Gbit/s to 2 endpoints only. One ISCSI-Initiator wouldn't be able to utilize a trunk. (at least not in terms of performance)

You should use independent IP-Addresses and ISCSI-Targets instead.

Then, configure your ISCSI-Initiator for MPIO or MCS to achieve what is desired (2GB/s throughput)
(VMWare only supports MPIO, iirc)

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:09 pm

What dognose says is correct. Look for the vmware KB article about how to do this properly. From memory you need to make two iSCSI vmnics on the same vswitch and bind each of them to only one of your physical NICs.

synology_ukman
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by synology_ukman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

dognose wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:59 pm
You shouldn't use trunks for ISCSI access.

A trunk of "two 1 Gbit Nics" will be able to spit out 2 Gbit/s to 2 endpoints only. One ISCSI-Initiator wouldn't be able to utilize a trunk. (at least not in terms of performance)

You should use independent IP-Addresses and ISCSI-Targets instead.

Then, configure your ISCSI-Initiator for MPIO or MCS to achieve what is desired (2GB/s throughput)
(VMWare only supports MPIO, iirc)
Ok, but you can trunk and MPIO at the same time if you wish.
For example with 4 ports to the switch, you could trunk 2 x 2 ports and then MPIO the 2 trunked ports say to a ISCSI INITIATOR server that only has 2 free nics.
People sometimes do this to reduce the number of IP addresses.
The result is you have more resilience to the switch.

Return to “iSCSI Target”