Multiple IP-addresses on DS212 / DMS 3.2

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Vic D'Elfant
I'm New!
I'm New!

Multiple IP-addresses on DS212 / DMS 3.2

Unread post by Vic D'Elfant » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:41 pm

We recently purchased a DS212 for sharing files in our office environment. Due to various reasons, we want the NAS to have two IP-addresses, instead of working with NAT for enabling remote access:
  1. One DHCP-assigned address for internal access
  2. One static IP-address for public access
The only reference I could find about this is Running with multiple IP addresses, however there is no pointer as to how to actually get this up and running. We managed to get the desired results with ifconfig through SSH, but the configuration gets erased on a restart.

Any clues?

maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: Multiple IP-addresses on DS212 / DMS 3.2

Unread post by maxxfi » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 am

If you don't find any more 'official' ways (e.g. via DSM UI), you can try to put your ifconfig commands into /etc/rc.local script (create the file if it doesn't exist).
That file is read at the end of the startup sequence (i.e. /etc/rc), that is just after the NAS has set its basic network settings, and it should not be touched by a DSM upgrade.
No longer using Synology NAS, moved to more open source solutions.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411

Vic D'Elfant
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Vic D'Elfant » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks a lot for the tip, that's exactly what we were looking for. A simple "ifconfig eth0:1 [...]" call in rs.local did the trick, and we're now happily sharing our files both internally and externally :)

cshenkan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by cshenkan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Can you give an example of the full command you entered?

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”