(Newbie) DS414 keeps disconnecting

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
headshotzx
I'm New!
I'm New!

(Newbie) DS414 keeps disconnecting

Postby headshotzx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Hey folks, Happy New Year!

New guy here with a problem that I've had since I purchased this unit from... when the 414 was still in stores. I'm just a newbie content creator so I'm not the most well-versed with networking, so help me out!

My problem is that the NAS completely blocks off access from users at times when it's under specifically high loads, such as when I transfer my content files or when I have multiple torrents happening. The first sign of this is when my Windows Explorer transfer prompts me that there's an error and the network location cannot be found / accessed. I'll open My Computer and realise that my mapped drives are disconnected. Pinging my server won't work, and when I head into my router devices list I can see that the NAS has dropped off.

Now, there are two ways that I've been solving this. A hard restart will almost always absolutely solve the problem (but sometimes the NAS doesn't even want to shut down properly after I've held down the power button, even after a few hours). The second method that sometimes works is that I port my 1x RJ45 over to the other LAN port, and log into the specific IP address. If this works, I either remap my network locations on Windows, or I go into Control Panel -> Network, and change the IP address for the new LAN port to become the old one, so I don't have to remap all folders on my devices.

Any idea what's going on here? Hope to hear from you folks!

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”