Seperate 10GbE PC connection to NAS & 1GbE Internet connection? (DS1517+)

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Seperate 10GbE PC connection to NAS & 1GbE Internet connection? (DS1517+)

Unread post by 3dwannab » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:56 am

Please see a sketch of what I've got set up at the bottom.

I'm having trouble with my internet traffic going through the 10GbE connection. And my network traffic going through my 1GbE network connection.
Sometimes, may I add.

What do I have to do to get:
  • PC network connection to NAS constantly connected via the 10GbE network.
  • Internet traffic through the 1GbE network only.
Do I have to setup static IPs for all devices to get a constant reliable connection as I want?
----------------------------------

My setup is:
  • 1x PC workstation with Rog Areion 10GbE PC Card and built-in 1GbE connection on the motherboard.
  • DS1517+ NAS with 10GbE X540-T2 adapter card from Intel.
  • ASUS XG-U2008 Unmanaged switch. 2-port 10GbE & 8-port 1GbE.
  • CAT6a cables for 10GbE connections in the sketch.
  • CAT5e cables for 1GbE connections in the sketch.
  • ASUS DSL-AC68U modem/router.
Thanks for any much-needed help.

Last edited by 3dwannab on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InetUID
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Seperate 10GbE PC connection to NAS & 1GbE Internet connection? (DS1517+)

Unread post by InetUID » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:44 am

From a quick Google search, it doesn't look like your Asus switch supports VLANs which would have been best as you could have had the router provide DHCP for the PC via the 1G connection and the Synology provide DHCP via the 10G connection.

I'd still use DHCP on the router to the PC but I'd set the subnet for the 10G connection to something else. What is hard to say as you don't list IP addresses, but the following might help:

DHCP (on router): 192.168.0.0/24 - Router 192.168.0.1/24
Static (on 10G): 172.16.0.0/24 - Syno 172.16.0.10/24, PC 172.16.0.20/24

Not the best to have two subnets on the same layer 2 but it'll work.

3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by 3dwannab » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 pm

That's what I don't understand, is how to set up what you mention above.

Do I enter those IPs only in the router and let it handle the traffic or does the same have to be done for the Synology & PC in network settings?

I really didn't know what I was getting into when getting the switch. I suppose one with VLAN would be 2xtimes more expensive.
InetUID wrote:Not the best to have two subnets on the same layer 2 but it'll work.
Will there be a performance hit here?

InetUID
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by InetUID » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:46 pm

If the router (and PC) are working for Internet access, leave them alone. You will need to find out the subnet they are using so that you can use a different one for the 10G link.

In my example, the 172.16.0.0/24 addresses would be configured on the 10G interfaces on the Synology and the PC (static configuration).

Switches with VLANs would likely be more expensive. The reason for the VLAN is to separate different types of traffic. It's not that important in a small environment like yours as you control everything anyway.

The use of two subnets on the same network shouldn't impact performance.

Lastly, if you use IPv6 you might get more problems that just IPv4.

3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by 3dwannab » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:36 pm

InetUID wrote:You will need to find out the subnet they are using so that you can use a different one for the 10G link.
How do I do this?
InetUID wrote:In my example, the 172.16.0.0/24 addresses would be configured on the 10G interfaces on the Synology and the PC (static configuration).
What is the /24 you mention here?

So if I get the IP from my NAS Ethernet adapter through cmd and ipconfig,

The output of ipconfig cmd for the NAS is (I've removed some info):

Code: Select all

Ethernet adapter NAS:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : xxxx::4d10:xxxx:29d5:xxx%17
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.xx
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Do I just set up the Synology in DSM with the exact same info and let the router handle this routing. Again I'm confused by all this.
InetUID wrote: Switches with VLANs would likely be more expensive. The reason for the VLAN is to separate different types of traffic. It's not that important in a small environment like yours as you control everything anyway.

The use of two subnets on the same network shouldn't impact performance.

Lastly, if you use IPv6 you might get more problems that just IPv4.
That's good to know, Thanks.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 am

A /24 means that your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (ie, you are using 24 bits as your network and the last 8 bits for your host IP).

There is no need to obfuscate your link-local IPv6 or IPv4 address as they cannot be reached over the internet. They're reserved for local networks and nobody can reach them from outside your network unless you specifically start forwarding ports on your router.

Here's what you want to do:

PC:

1Gbps:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.xx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Synology:

1Gbps: (yes, you want to use one of these NICs too, because your unmanaged switch cannot route between subnets and you are a beginner in networking so I don't want to get into fiddling with your router)

IPv4 address: 192.168.1.xx (another static IP address that isn't clashing with the PC or the router!)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (this will allow the Synology to reach the internet for updates)

Then, on the 10Gbps NICs, use the following IPs:

PC 10Gbps:

IPv4 address: 172.16.0.20
Gateway: BLANK - you don't want two default gateways!

Synology 10Gbps:

IPv4 address: 172.16.0.10
Gateway: BLANK

Then to connect to the Synology from the PC, just type the IP address into an explorer window (ie, \\172.16.0.10) or browse to http://172.16.0.10 with your web browser.

BUT...

If I were you I'd just be using the 10Gbps links for the PC and the Synology and ignoring the 1Gbps NICs completely. You're not going to see a slowdown of internet or NAS traffic because your 10Gbps link has more bandwidth than the Synology can fill (unless you're using SSDs in all slots!).

3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by 3dwannab » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Squozen wrote:A /24 means...

If I were you I'd just be using the 10Gbps links for the PC and the Synology and ignoring the 1Gbps NICs completely. You're not going to see a slowdown of internet or NAS traffic because your 10Gbps link has more bandwidth than the Synology can fill (unless you're using SSDs in all slots!).
Lots of good info there, thank you.

But, if I see what you're saying all I have to do is unplug the cable from the 1G Nic in my PC to my router and the traffic will then go for both the NAS and internet through the 10G connection?

My internet is a measly 7Mbps up and 0.3 down so that traffic won't have any bearing I suppose.

I would love if there was some sort of remote service IT company online that could look into this for me. I cannot afford to mess anything up as I need it for work also.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:26 pm

If you're worried about breaking things then just use the exact IP addresses and masks I gave you and things will work. Trust me. :mrgreen:

You can let the 1Gbps NIC on the PC use DHCP rather than static settings and that will also be fine.

3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by 3dwannab » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 am

Squozen wrote:If you're worried about breaking things then just use the exact IP addresses and masks I gave you and things will work. Trust me. :mrgreen:
I do honestly ;) but I'll try this weekend, once my work has finished for the week.
Squozen wrote: You can let the 1Gbps NIC on the PC use DHCP rather than static settings and that will also be fine.
Again, where do I set this ;) I checked the adapter settings. Is it in there or elsewhere?

Thanks + sorry for the basic Q's.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am

3dwannab wrote:
Squozen wrote: You can let the 1Gbps NIC on the PC use DHCP rather than static settings and that will also be fine.
Again, where do I set this ;) I checked the adapter settings. Is it in there or elsewhere?

Thanks + sorry for the basic Q's.
Right-click the 1Gbps network adapter and choose Properties.

Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 and make sure 'Obtain an IP automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' are both selected. This means the NIC is being configured via the DHCP server running on your router.

3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by 3dwannab » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 pm

I'm back again. I've just got round to doing this because for a while now my Snology is running at 80MB/s read.

At the start I was getting 450-500MB/s.

I've left the 1G setup untouched using DHCP and modified both the 10G on the PC and in Control center.
I had to enter a default gateway for the 10G NIC on the PC otherwise it would throw an unidentified network error.

Is there any other things here that are contributing to the slow 1GbE like speeds I'm encountering?

IPv4 setup on Snology.

IPv4 setup for 10G NIC on PC.

Performance.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Like I said originally, the easiest way to get this working with your equipment is to stick everything on the same network and only use the 10Gbps NIC in your PC.

Don't put a bogus gateway in your 10Gbps NIC settings. Fix the unidentified network issue instead:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Local Security Policy.
2. Select Network List Manager Policies
3. In the right panel double click Unidentified Networks
4. In the location type select Private
5. Click OK

Now, as for the 1gbps speed, I'd be guessing that you've somehow configured things so you're actually using the 1gbps link. How are you browsing to the Synology? Are you typing \\172.16.0.147 or doing something else?

I just looked at your network diagram again. Why aren't you connecting the 1gbps link from your PC directly to the router? Why make a hop through the switch?

3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by 3dwannab » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Squozen wrote:Like I said originally, the easiest way to get this working with your equipment is to stick everything on the same network and only use the 10Gbps NIC in your PC.

Don't put a bogus gateway in your 10Gbps NIC settings. Fix the unidentified network issue instead:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Local Security Policy.
2. Select Network List Manager Policies
3. In the right panel double click Unidentified Networks
4. In the location type select Private
5. Click OK

Now, as for the 1gbps speed, I'd be guessing that you've somehow configured things so you're actually using the 1gbps link. How are you browsing to the Synology? Are you typing \\172.16.0.147 or doing something else?

I just looked at your network diagram again. Why aren't you connecting the 1gbps link from your PC directly to the router? Why make a hop through the switch?
I've tried your steps 1-5 after removing the defualt gateway in the 10G PC adapter to get the unidentified network error and that didn't fix it.

I'm accessing the NAS via the IP of the NAS. \\172.16.0.147

I connected everything via the switch so the NAS could have access to the internet for updates.

I've tried connecting with only the NAS to the PC using DHCP, no switch and nothing else connected but achieving the same read/write results.

Squozen
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Squozen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm

3dwannab wrote:I've tried your steps 1-5 after removing the defualt gateway in the 10G PC adapter to get the unidentified network error and that didn't fix it.

I'm accessing the NAS via the IP of the NAS. \\172.16.0.147

I connected everything via the switch so the NAS could have access to the internet for updates.

I've tried connecting with only the NAS to the PC using DHCP, no switch and nothing else connected but achieving the same read/write results.
I don't know why that didn't work, it's listed all over the internet as being the fix. *shrug*

Ok, if you aren't getting faster speeds when you're only using the 10Gbps NICs, you would appear to be disk-limited. Try doing a disk scrub to be sure one of the disks isn't starting to fail and slowing the entire array down.

One other thing - try disabling jumbo frames in case something in your network isn't coping with them.

And I hate to say it, but are you sure you're connected to the 10Gbps ports on the switch? What colour are the lights?

3dwannab
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by 3dwannab » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 am

Squozen wrote:I don't know why that didn't work, it's listed all over the internet as being the fix. *shrug*

Ok, if you aren't getting faster speeds when you're only using the 10Gbps NICs, you would appear to be disk-limited. Try doing a disk scrub to be sure one of the disks isn't starting to fail and slowing the entire array down.

One other thing - try disabling jumbo frames in case something in your network isn't coping with them.

And I hate to say it, but are you sure you're connected to the 10Gbps ports on the switch? What colour are the lights?
Not sure either. Even after a restart, it was still the same. BTW is it necessary to restart each time I change a network setting?

Disks are not the problem (7,200RPM Seagate Ironwolf 8TBx5 in SHR RAID). I was achieving 450MBs RW speeds a while back. I'm performing a data scrub now. Probably be finished in around 8hrs. That could be the cause but all disks are showing as heathly and all are only 2months old. I already had a 1-month schedule to do this which is the minimum AFAIK.

Here's the LAN settings. Notice MTU is 1500. I see no way of disabling jumbo frames.

Yes lol. The lights are green.

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”