Purpose of 2 LAN ports?

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
calego
Beginner
Beginner

Purpose of 2 LAN ports?

Postby calego » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 pm

I just got a DS418 NAS which has 2 LAN ports. I am woefully ignorant about the purpose of having 2 LAN ports. My guess would be redundancy of connectivity, but would that require 2 completely separate networks? Or could it provide 2 separate connections to the same network, thereby making dual data streams to the same network to increase bandwidth to your network? I've looked through documentation on this but I'm just not finding it. The user's guide just simply says to plug it into the network, etc. etc. and you're good to go. No explanation of the secondary LAN port whatsoever. Any information on this is appreciated, thanks.
hanami
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Purpose of 2 LAN ports?

Postby hanami » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 pm

As you mentioned, you can either use it as a redundant connection or combine them into higher speed connection. The scenario for redundancy is the NAS will automatically switch to working connection in case the other one lose connectivity (due to failed network card in the NAS, port at the switch/router stop working etc.). The other scenario is to combine both LAN port to build a faster connection which is 2000 Mbps. You will need a switch that supports Link Aggregation Group (LAG) for that purpose. You gain benefit in this setup if you have 10Gbps network or you connect the NAS directly to PC (that has 2 LAN port too).
parnassus
Sharp
Sharp

Postby parnassus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Generally yes (better: it depends on the scenario you're operating into)...two (or more) Ethernet Ports can be used, aggregated together, to provide enhanced resiliency against port/cable failures (on both ends of the considered links) and, in some scenarios, enhanced overall throughput (this depends strictly on how traffic traversing the links is originated)...if you have a IEEE 802.3ad (LACP) capable managed switch you can define an aggregated interface (which is a logical object containing two or more physical similar interfaces) that will use, as example, LACP to form a LAG (Link Aggregation Group, also known as Ports Teaming or Port Trunking)...on the NAS side you should do the same configuration...then connect the second cable between your NAS and your Switch (not before...otherwise you are going to form a loop before che LACP is active on those interfaces)...once done your NAS will be connected with a logical trunk (made of two physical links) to your managed Switch.
calego
Beginner
Beginner

Postby calego » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks for the great answers! I don't really need the redundancy of connectivity. The increase in speed might be nice. I would have to do some research into what kind of hardware and configuration I'd need. Thanks again. :D
Squozen
Navigator
Navigator

Postby Squozen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:22 am

You will never get more than 1 Gbps to a single client, so it's fairly unnecessary for a home user.
synology_ukman
Enlightened
Enlightened

Postby synology_ukman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Except of course there could be two people at home both trying to get access to the NAS so teaming is then relevant.

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”