Wake on Lan

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Tacitus
Trainee
Trainee

Wake on Lan

Postby Tacitus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Does anyone know if Synology allow Wake-on-Lan for their NAS drives?

The reason I ask is that mine sometimes goes to sleep and I want to wake it remotely but without much success. I believe it is possible to send a 'magic packet' which causes the NAS to respond, but which port (if any) does this use and what type of packet is used?
drabisan
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Wake on Lan

Postby drabisan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:07 pm

First, not all models support WoL.
Simple way to check if it's in the control panel hardware. If you see enable WoL in lan1 that yours supports it. Just need to check the box for the unit to listen for magic packet.

I never used port forwarding for this task so I don't really know what UDP port 0, 7 or 9 is supported. Any WoL application I tried on android does the job. Alway from LAN. But you can only open one port at anytime and figure it out.
Personally I'm doing a VPN back home and wake up the unit from my Asus router that uses magic Ethernet frame.
Tacitus
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Wake on Lan

Postby Tacitus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:27 pm

It's a DS216+ Mk2 now superseded by the 218+ WoL is there in the control panel so it is supported, but there's nothing in the help files other than how to enable it, so I've no idea which Port it uses (I think 7 is the usual) or UDP packets whatever.

It does respond albeit slowly when I want to do something and its gone into hibernation, but I thought using WoL might speed it up a bit. Might be an idea to give support an email.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”