Isolated subnet for Surveillance Station?

Topics including remote access and management can go here, including port forwarding, telnet, ssh, and advanced network settings.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
MatF
Beginner
Beginner

Isolated subnet for Surveillance Station?

Postby MatF » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 am

Hi guys,

I'm soon going to install a few IP cameras and start using Surveillance Station. I'd like to separate the cameras from everything on my main network by using separate subnets, and as it turns out I'll have to buy a second switch anyway, so all the camera will be on their own dedicated switch. For security reasons (all the cameras will be outside), I want to be able to prevent all access from the Camera LAN (192.168.1.x) to anything on the main LAN (192.168.0.x), but I still want to be able to access Surveillance Station from the main LAN.

Will this setup work?

I'd also enable DHCP on the NAS interface 2 to give IPs to the cameras.

Unfortunately I don't have a router that provides inter-VLAN routing or ACL, so unless I change some more stuff, VLANs aren't an option.

iknowtech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Isolated subnet for Surveillance Station?

Postby iknowtech » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Should work fine.

Return to “Remote Access and Network Management”