[BUG] phpMyAdmin 4.6.6-0172

Discuss the phpMyAdmin Package Here.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
leethompson
Beginner
Beginner

[BUG] phpMyAdmin 4.6.6-0172

Unread post by leethompson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:44 pm

The newest phpMyAdmin 4.6.6-0172 syno package (packed by Synology, Inc.) has a serious issue.

1. It requires MariaDB 10.0. If you have MariaDB 5.x installed, it will install MariaDB 10.x side by side (but non-functioning since it will have a port conflict.)
2. phpMyAdmin package has a full service depency on the MariaDB 10.x package during stop/start. (Why? phpMyAdmin is a php only tool)
3. Synology support told me "In the most recent version, phpMyAdmin upgraded to using MariaDB version 10, and is no longer compatible with MariaDB 5. Therefore, MariaDB 10 is required, and MariaDB 5 is not." This is not true. phpMyAdmin has made no such announcement, from their documentation: "phpMyAdmin supports MySQL-compatible databases. MySQL 5.5 or newer. MariaDB 5.5 or newer." Moreover the phpMyAdmin on my Synology has a dropdown to select the MariaDB 5 and MariaDB 10 instances, the first works, the second doesn't (since it can't communicate with it properly). (Plus I use phpMyAdmin on my various development environments with both MariaDB 10.x and 5.x without issue.)

I have nothing against MariaDB 10 but I don't have time right now to convert everything on the synology to it and the package certainly shouldn't lock itself to MariaDB 10 as a service dependency.

Synology support (Ticket #1101353) keeps insisting this isn't a bug. If this is intended behavior, then, no, it's not technically a bug - it's a seriousmistake/design flaw instead.

Etz
Versed
Versed

Re: [BUG] phpMyAdmin 4.6.6-0172

Unread post by Etz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 pm

IMHO, making PHP 5.6 as its dependency is also a bit stoopid, generally it works fine with 7.x , but Synology forces you to keep both...

It is probably caused the way, their packages are built. You just have to define strict dependencies or not to define them at all. You cannot have "generic" dependency MariaDB or PHP, you have to specify version.

About your issue, it is caused by something else.
I can manage both MariaDB instances fine from single phpMyAdmin instance. Also they are running on different ports, have different socket files so they both work, completely indepentent of eachother.
...life is random, so am I...

leethompson
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by leethompson » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:13 am

To be honest, I haven't had the time to investigate the Maria DB 10 instance and the fact that I don't need it makes it even less of a priority.

I just want Synology to remove this stupid dependency on the package.

Etz
Versed
Versed

Unread post by Etz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:28 am

leethompson wrote:To be honest, I haven't had the time to investigate the Maria DB 10 instance and the fact that I don't need it makes it even less of a priority.

To be honest, if you have not even bothered to check how it actually works...why complain and make inaccurate statements then? :roll:

Personally I just migrated everything to MariaDB 10 and also quite happy with this choice, because MariaDB 5 is pretty much legacy and should have been dropped long ago.
...life is random, so am I...

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Unread post by HarryPotter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Have you seen this post: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 02#p492402?

It looks like it is very easy to use phpmyadmin with mariadb5, though I havent tested it.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

deusx
Novice
Novice

Unread post by deusx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:46 am

well the transition from 5.5 to 10, needed a couple commands, and the db (the same one from 5.5) became compliant for v 10. Essentially the roll out, anything else besides serious I can call it since by design it conflicts with the old version and twoards its dependencies. I' mean I can deal with it, but I feel sorry for most of the fellows with no capacities besides a few clicks, a major portion of the userbase. Besides that the migration is trivial to say the least, I'm with you, in that the often we have to deal with illogical, completely arbitrary and sadly uneducated decisions with each and every piece of software they serve us. I wouldn't call it a bug though, perhaps not even flaw, as they have a nature of unintentional, while were we see intent, albeit a poor one, as always. At this point, I can think of nothing else than trying to find ways to erase this OS, and hopefully detach from this infinite loop and regain my time back. I mean for real, with an overpriced atom that they sell us, to simultaneously depend on two separate SQL ? and another two php? what's the point even.

I just finished recovering the php setup of the nas, think about how nonsensical is, as of now. So we have the php package, which attaches to the web station, in which one can do not more than to enter the domain name and ports as well as backend, but in order to actually make it function, we need to dive into the commandline. (which only recently was made customisable since 1.5-2 years that the package had been released). Besides that it negates the whole concept of the user interface and the interaction, as well as ease of use, two things might happen, either the configuration is erased, or, it can be that the php gets borked (happened just a few hours ago, by just introducing a new site,--properly). So, we spend, 10 seconds to fill in a text field, which offers no valuable help, and then two hours to troubleshoot something that was made to deviate so much from the standard, at the end of day, for what reason?

Scanned the system, and I can see the default case for php root configs (ini): 2 x configs in the webstation package, 2x configs on each php package, 2 more in the '/usr/local/etc', and finally 2 more system wide in the rootfs. sigh...

From the excuses I've heard about other things, for example the years old, 4.9 toolchain, which is in order to maintain package compatibility accross the line, with, ... well , 10years old two-drive cant even call them nas, carrying an irrelevant architecture. Does it really take a year to update the docker package, and implicitly keeping us away from our EE services?

On a serious note, if someone has a clue how to go about deleting the os and use the boot (or bootloader) for any other general purpose OS, I'd like to hear. Dont care about the warranty, but also wouldn't like to brick it in the process.

leethompson
Beginner
Beginner

Unread post by leethompson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am

Etz wrote:
leethompson wrote:To be honest, I haven't had the time to investigate the Maria DB 10 instance and the fact that I don't need it makes it even less of a priority.

To be honest, if you have not even bothered to check how it actually works...why complain and make inaccurate statements then? :roll:

Personally I just migrated everything to MariaDB 10 and also quite happy with this choice, because MariaDB 5 is pretty much legacy and should have been dropped long ago.
You're the reason why bugs like this exist. :roll:

In all seriousness, while I am fine with migrating to MariaDB 10, the point is phpMyAdmin works with MySQL 5,6, MariaDB 5, MariaDB 10 etc. It should never be locked to particular database service. It's a bug and your snarky remarks only derail Synology's attention from the issue and are not appreciated.

Return to “phpMyAdmin”