Upgrade DS412+ RAM?

Anything related to hardware modding of the Synology Disk Station, including modifying the RAM, or changing the color scheme of the Disk Station and others.
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
newsynguy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Upgrade DS412+ RAM?

Postby newsynguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 am

Just wanted to chime in to this post. I just installed 4GB in my Syno and so far I have not seen any of the same symptoms described in this thread. I have not tweaked anything and to be honest am not strong in Linux options so don't understand many of the tweaks suggested. First time boot was a bit long, I am assuming that the Synology does some sort of memory checking at startup so having more memory obviously would take longer to check. I did a test with Video Station and streamed movie to my phone, DLNA connected another to my TV, as well as another movie on my laptop. CPU stayed down around 25% and memory is at 23%. Much better than at 60% to 80% memory use that I am used to seeing.

Wish I could upgrade the processor as well, but we all know that means a new unit... Synology, trade-up program?? Since the overall design doesn't seem to change much over the generations, would be nice if even just offer a mobo upgrade kit...

Anyway, I just wanted to share the 4GB upgrade went over without a hitch. I do have both NICs in use and LACP Teamed on my ASUS router, that shouldn't make any difference. I am on the latest version and I have my MTU on the NIC team set to 9000.

Kingston 4GB - CT51264BF160BJ - It is low power; the original is not (1.35v vs. 1.5v). It's also CAS 11 not CAS 9, but I don't see a difference.

Happy NAS'ing!
cokemachine
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Upgrade DS412+ RAM?

Postby cokemachine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 pm

newsynguy wrote:Just wanted to chime in to this post. I just installed 4GB in my Syno and so far I have not seen any of the same symptoms described in this thread. I have not tweaked anything and to be honest am not strong in Linux options so don't understand many of the tweaks suggested. First time boot was a bit long, I am assuming that the Synology does some sort of memory checking at startup so having more memory obviously would take longer to check. I did a test with Video Station and streamed movie to my phone, DLNA connected another to my TV, as well as another movie on my laptop. CPU stayed down around 25% and memory is at 23%. Much better than at 60% to 80% memory use that I am used to seeing.

Wish I could upgrade the processor as well, but we all know that means a new unit... Synology, trade-up program?? Since the overall design doesn't seem to change much over the generations, would be nice if even just offer a mobo upgrade kit...

Anyway, I just wanted to share the 4GB upgrade went over without a hitch. I do have both NICs in use and LACP Teamed on my ASUS router, that shouldn't make any difference. I am on the latest version and I have my MTU on the NIC team set to 9000.

Kingston 4GB - CT51264BF160BJ - It is low power; the original is not (1.35v vs. 1.5v). It's also CAS 11 not CAS 9, but I don't see a difference.

Happy NAS'ing!

Any updates as to how the 4GB is working?

Return to “Hardware Mods”