Upgrade DS412+ RAM?

Anything related to hardware modding of the Synology Disk Station, including modifying the RAM, or changing the color scheme of the Disk Station and others.
Forum rules
Please note the disclaimer before modifying your Synology Product.
newsynguy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Upgrade DS412+ RAM?

Postby newsynguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 am

Just wanted to chime in to this post. I just installed 4GB in my Syno and so far I have not seen any of the same symptoms described in this thread. I have not tweaked anything and to be honest am not strong in Linux options so don't understand many of the tweaks suggested. First time boot was a bit long, I am assuming that the Synology does some sort of memory checking at startup so having more memory obviously would take longer to check. I did a test with Video Station and streamed movie to my phone, DLNA connected another to my TV, as well as another movie on my laptop. CPU stayed down around 25% and memory is at 23%. Much better than at 60% to 80% memory use that I am used to seeing.

Wish I could upgrade the processor as well, but we all know that means a new unit... Synology, trade-up program?? Since the overall design doesn't seem to change much over the generations, would be nice if even just offer a mobo upgrade kit...

Anyway, I just wanted to share the 4GB upgrade went over without a hitch. I do have both NICs in use and LACP Teamed on my ASUS router, that shouldn't make any difference. I am on the latest version and I have my MTU on the NIC team set to 9000.

Kingston 4GB - CT51264BF160BJ - It is low power; the original is not (1.35v vs. 1.5v). It's also CAS 11 not CAS 9, but I don't see a difference.

Happy NAS'ing!
cokemachine
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cokemachine » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 pm

newsynguy wrote:Just wanted to chime in to this post. I just installed 4GB in my Syno and so far I have not seen any of the same symptoms described in this thread. I have not tweaked anything and to be honest am not strong in Linux options so don't understand many of the tweaks suggested. First time boot was a bit long, I am assuming that the Synology does some sort of memory checking at startup so having more memory obviously would take longer to check. I did a test with Video Station and streamed movie to my phone, DLNA connected another to my TV, as well as another movie on my laptop. CPU stayed down around 25% and memory is at 23%. Much better than at 60% to 80% memory use that I am used to seeing.

Wish I could upgrade the processor as well, but we all know that means a new unit... Synology, trade-up program?? Since the overall design doesn't seem to change much over the generations, would be nice if even just offer a mobo upgrade kit...

Anyway, I just wanted to share the 4GB upgrade went over without a hitch. I do have both NICs in use and LACP Teamed on my ASUS router, that shouldn't make any difference. I am on the latest version and I have my MTU on the NIC team set to 9000.

Kingston 4GB - CT51264BF160BJ - It is low power; the original is not (1.35v vs. 1.5v). It's also CAS 11 not CAS 9, but I don't see a difference.

Happy NAS'ing!

Any updates as to how the 4GB is working?
newsynguy
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby newsynguy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:26 am

Just a quick update... Still no issues with using 4GB. Office, Video Station, Audio Station, Cloud Sync, Photo Station, etc. All working without a hitch and processor remains low during all operations. Some asked what version DSM I am running, it is the latest , 6.1.3.15152u3.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Just upgraded my unit as well with Kingston KVR13S9S8/4 (4GB) and everything is working just fine. Upgraded from 2GB that I had for the past 2y. Will post back if there will be any problems.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
aguida60
Novice
Novice

Postby aguida60 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am

Rusty1281 wrote:Just upgraded my unit as well with Kingston KVR13S9S8/4 (4GB) and everything is working just fine. Upgraded from 2GB that I had for the past 2y. Will post back if there will be any problems.

Way back in this thread there were some reports that some changes were needed to some configuration files. Did you do it or just upgraded the DIMMs? Thanks
Synology DS412+ (4xWD Red 3TB)
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 am

No changes, just a straight up upgrade. 48h in, there are no visible problems with any services or performance so far.
Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD red - RAID 5) | Synology DS211j (2x2TB WD green - RAID1) | RT1900AC
Ben Diss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ben Diss » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:37 pm

newsynguy wrote:Just a quick update... Still no issues with using 4GB. Office, Video Station, Audio Station, Cloud Sync, Photo Station, etc. All working without a hitch and processor remains low during all operations. Some asked what version DSM I am running, it is the latest , 6.1.3.15152u3.

It's been better than a month now. I'd think if anything was going to go wrong it would have by now. Any issues? Performance still good? Oh, and thanks for posting this and sharing your experience!
Ben Diss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ben Diss » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Rusty1281 wrote:No changes, just a straight up upgrade. 48h in, there are no visible problems with any services or performance so far.

Rusty- How's it going with your upgrade? I did the 2GB upgrade last year but really need more RAM. Is it still working ok? Are you a Plex user? Thanks!
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Ben Diss wrote:
Rusty1281 wrote:No changes, just a straight up upgrade. 48h in, there are no visible problems with any services or performance so far.

Rusty- How's it going with your upgrade? I did the 2GB upgrade last year but really need more RAM. Is it still working ok? Are you a Plex user? Thanks!

Upgraded 2y ago to 2GB and now to 4GB. All working with 0 problems. Yes Plex is one of my main roles on this NAS. Version 1.9.1 working just fine ;) Worth the upgrade!
Ben Diss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ben Diss » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Rusty1281 wrote:
Ben Diss wrote:

Upgraded 2y ago to 2GB and now to 4GB. All working with 0 problems. Yes Plex is one of my main roles on this NAS. Version 1.9.1 working just fine ;) Worth the upgrade!

Thanks for the quick update! Would you have any guess why this seems to be working now and just a couple of years ago so many had problems with 4GB?
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 pm

DSM wasn’t fully 64bit? CPU was compatible with 4GB of ram of the bat but the only thing that wasn’t compatible at that time was the os. Since 6.1 (or 6.x) DSM jumped to 64bit (for models running with 64bit instruction set cpus) and 412+ was one of them. Guessing that’s the reason memory management is no longer an issue.
Ben Diss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ben Diss » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 pm

newsynguy wrote:Just wanted to chime in to this post. I just installed 4GB in my Syno and so far I have not seen any of the same symptoms described in this thread. I have not tweaked anything and to be honest am not strong in Linux options so don't understand many of the tweaks suggested. First time boot was a bit long, I am assuming that the Synology does some sort of memory checking at startup so having more memory obviously would take longer to check. I did a test with Video Station and streamed movie to my phone, DLNA connected another to my TV, as well as another movie on my laptop. CPU stayed down around 25% and memory is at 23%. Much better than at 60% to 80% memory use that I am used to seeing.

Happy NAS'ing!

I'm not having any luck. I order the same part number, CT51264BF160BJ , which is a Crucial SODIMM not a Kingston. Installed it and the CPU is pegged at 99%. I'm going to let it sit for an hour or so and see if it settles down but I doubt I'll have any choice but to go back.
Rusty1281
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Rusty1281 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Hmm 2 bad. Maybe you can exchange it for a Kingston module instead. Also you can try and ssh into your box and run 'htop' command. it will list your processes and after you sort it by cpu maybe you can see whats hitting your cpu. It could be that the nas is doing something thats using all its cores. Maybe an index of some sort. Have you done just a memory swap or did you do a software update of any kind?
Ben Diss
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ben Diss » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:10 pm

Rusty1281 wrote:Hmm 2 bad. Maybe you can exchange it for a Kingston module instead. Also you can try and ssh into your box and run 'htop' command. it will list your processes and after you sort it by cpu maybe you can see whats hitting your cpu. It could be that the nas is doing something thats using all its cores. Maybe an index of some sort. Have you done just a memory swap or did you do a software update of any kind?

Only change was the chip. Nothing else. Running htop sorted by CPU% shows a normal list of programs, with htop being on top maybe half the time. The difference is that the sum of all CPU% is now running around 80% whereas before the chip swap it was around 8%. I'll swap it back out. Maybe the Kingston KVR13S9S8/4 would be better.

Update: Going back to the 2GB chip restored normal performance.
Tsume
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tsume » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:02 am

Hi everyone!
I have tried to make a ram upgrade on my ds-412+.
At first i tried to put 4gb pc 8500 module, then - 2gb pc8500 module. In both cases I had the unusual activities of cpu, especially in case of 4gb module. I know, that almost everyone had the same problem here :). But do you have any unusual cpu activities with 2gb module compairing to the original 1gb? I attach hereto the screenshots, where you can see, that before replacement the cpu activity was almos 0%, more than 60% with 4gb module and around 20% with 2gb module.

Return to “Hardware Mods”