Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby Tuttivini » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Update: Found a manual on how to remove Universal Search.
Removed it, but didn't solve my problem.

I discovered it is MEDIASERVER! When ik Uninstalled this package on my ds211, the read spead (large mkv testfile) went to a wonderfull ~105MB/S (and write to ~70MB/s).
When I reïnstalled this package (and waited until indexing was done), the read spead went back to a horrible ~25MB/s!!!

What's wrong with this package?
I've always used this package in the past with good transfer speeds, so it is something within one of the last updates (package or dsm).
lionarts
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby lionarts » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Tuttivini wrote:Update: Found a manual on how to remove Universal Search.

I discovered it is MEDIASERVER! When ik Uninstalled this package on my ds211, the read spead (large mkv testfile) went to a wonderfull ~105MB/S (and write to ~70MB/s).
When I reïnstalled this package (and waited until indexing was done), the read spead went back to a horrible ~25MB/s!!!

I've always used this package in the past with good transfer speeds, so it is something within one of the last updates (package or dsm).

I confirm, the same situation. It is not nessary to uninstall MEDIASERVER? just stop it.
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tuttivini » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Only stopping the mediaserver didn't boost my read/write speeds.
Only when I deleted the package and restarted the nas, I reached my old fast read/write speeds again...
w0203j
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby w0203j » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:31 am

Which manual did you find please?
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tuttivini » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 am

w0203j wrote:

Which manual did you find please?

http://matthewlewis.ca/disable-or-unins ... al-search/

But like I mentioned. This didn't solve the slow transfer speed problem. Removing mediaserver however solved it, read speed went back to a solid 105MB/s.
Hoping a update solves this because I need this package for dlna.
w0203j
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby w0203j » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am

Tuttivini wrote:
But like I mentioned. This didn't solve the slow transfer speed problem. Removing mediaserver however solved it, read speed went back to a solid 105MB/s.
Hoping a update solves this because I need this package for dlna.

I don't have that installed in the first place. Still interesting all these side packages can cause such dramatic performance degradation. Guess I am just going to keep minimal package installed on my NAS.
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am

Just for the record, I have achieve just about the maximum write speed attainable using 1Gbit Ethernet.
I consistently get write speeds of 114 Megabytes per second to my Synology.

This is when sending gigantic files.
Smaller files will cause additional slowness due to the additional overhead of doing several files.

RoboCopy will allow multi-threaded copying of large numbers of files, this would likely bring you closer to wirespeed if you added several threads using the /MT:x option, where x=number of threads

Client OS: Windows 10
Model Name: DS2415+
Current DSM: 6.1.3-15152
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tuttivini » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Tried another installation of the mediaserver package today (I guess this is the same version as yesterday, don't think it is a update by coincidence...).

Did a complete indexing of my music folder and when mediaserver was done indexing it, I restarted my ds211 and did some transfers test again.
This time I reach excellent speeds for the old ds211:

read:
write:

Weird....
Hoping it stays this way...
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:17 am

Tuttivini wrote:Tried another installation of the mediaserver package today (I guess this is the same version as yesterday, don't think it is a update by coincidence...).

Did a complete indexing of my music folder and when mediaserver was done indexing it, I restarted my ds211 and did some transfers test again.
This time I reach excellent speeds for the old ds211:

read:
write:

Weird....
Hoping it stays this way...

--------------------------------------------------------
So, to be clear, this is good speed?

Why only 66MB/second?
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tuttivini » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 am

lburns wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------
So, to be clear, this is good speed?

Why only 66MB/second?

Yes! This is fast. Like mentioned this is from my old ds211! When released with dsm 3.0 synology promised 104mb/s read and 53mb/s write on raid 0.
So with dsm 6.1> I luckily still reach those (and higher) speeds.

More modern products reach higher write speeds. I guess this is due faster cpu's and maybe ssd's:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products ... mance#2bay
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Tuttivini wrote:
Yes! This is fast. Like mentioned this is from my old ds211! When released with dsm 3.0 synology promised 104mb/s read and 53mb/s write on raid 0.
So with dsm 6.1> I luckily still reach those (and higher) speeds.

More modern products reach higher write speeds. I guess this is due faster cpu's and maybe ssd's:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products ... mance#2bay

Okay then!.

This IS good.
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tuttivini » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 pm

And again back to slow transfer speeds!!!
Nothing changed, I just came back from work, did nothing with the nas after the last speedtests yesterday. Read spead was back to around ~20MB/s.
Deleted the suspicious Mediaserver package once more, restarted the nas and voila, good 105MB/s read speeds.

I will test the nas again tommorow (while I keep the mediaserver package deleted). Will let you know but I guess there is something wrong with this package, can't think of something else.
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tuttivini » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Tested the ds211 again today.
Still reaching nice solid ~105MB/s read speeds.

So i guess it is the mediaserver package that gives me the slow (~25MB/s) read speeds.
Anyone else who wants to test this?
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Tuttivini wrote:Tested the ds211 again today.
Still reaching nice solid ~105MB/s read speeds.

So i guess it is the mediaserver package that gives me the slow (~25MB/s) read speeds.
Anyone else who wants to test this?

For the record, I would NEVER - EVER run a media server on the Synology.
I personally believe that ALL of the packages that serve video on these things are HORRIBLE IDEAS to be running on a storage target.

Especially when they are so simple to run on other systems.

You should focus your storage target on storage related things, and only allow it to do things like FTP, email or other types of low-impact transactions like that.
Gravit8
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Gravit8 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Anyone find a solution to this yet?

Return to “File Server Performance”