Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
lburns
Novice
Novice

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby lburns » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 pm

ShaftedbySynology wrote:I'm a brand new customer to Synology, set up a DS216J yesterday only to find the average transfer rate I get to it is 10mb/s. It is not the cabling or switches (Cisco)/router - I get full speed to a computer plugged into the network cable which serves the NAS.

This is disappointing at best, but unusable in reality. I will be returning this budget piece of cack later today... The fact this is not new, is basically the most important aspect of a NAS, and is being ignored by the manufacturer is quite disheartening. Nobody should buy this brand.

Okay, so I get that you are frustrated, and I am sure it is as a result of a lack of meaningful/helpful responses from support and folks here.

However, if you still have the unit, then I would be willing to assist you personally.
Attached is an image of the result of my copying a movie to the unit and I want you to know this is on a 1GB system, using TWO gigabit switches, and my Synology is also 1GB.

Please contact me directly is you wish to proceed.
I will send you a WebEx from my company account to work through this with you.

Syn-T
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Syn-T » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:36 pm

themaxsti wrote:
themaxsti wrote:Hi all..

I have a 1815+ with 6Gb of RAM on 6.1-15047 U1
2 x lan in LACP link (MTU 1500). 4 x 4Gb WD Reds + 2 Samsung SSD for Cache. SMB 3 / SMB1 No encryption & NFS (This is how it was set in 6.0)

Since 6.1 iv been getting 50/75% the speed over SMB transfers as normal. around 45MB/s or 75MB/s. (See below)
i was getting 110MB/s on 6.0 (Managed this with turning off memory compression in control panel / Hardware and power / general.)

I still can do 110MB/s pc to pc but to the nas 75MB/s is the max (Both Windows 10 using the same Switch the 1815+ is on.)

Things Tried

Turn Encryption to AUTO in Control Panel / File Services / SMB / Advance I get 75MB/s.For 400MB of a file then 16MB/s the remainder.
If i set the 1815+ to SMB2 i cant connect so im guessing its using SMB3 Windows 10. (Dont have a old windows 7 computer any more the HDD Died digging it out to try).
Iv tried setting the SSD Cache from Skip sequential I/O on / off and also removing the SSD cache completely Nothing changes.

Also now get rubbish performance from my ESXI box over NFS but only Reads 18Mb sec, Writes are 110Mb sec. This makes it USELESS for VMWARE.

Any ideas as it gone from a dream box to a nightmare.
Cheers
Rob

So Iv done some tests...
Pics below
https://goo.gl/photos/MFqbmPph8G25GQkj9

Synology 1815+ 6Gb total (Synology memory module not third party)
4xWD Red 4TB in SHA1
SSD Cache 2x Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb on the 4xWD Reds
LACP link to switch makes no difference if only one cable or 2. Can't remove for test as iv got MailPlus installed and you cant turn it LACP off with MailPlus installed (GERRRRrrrrrr)

PC to PC (Same Switch as Synology) 112MB/s Both Directions Windows 2012 R2 Srv / Windows 10
Proves Switch and PC to PC works as expected. (Single 1Gb link on both, MTU 1500, SSDs in both)

PC to Synology (SSD Cache on) Starts Good then falls to 16.4MB/s
Synology to PC (SSD Cache on) 71.2MB/s

PC to Synology (SSD Cache off) 69.9MB/s
Synology to PC (SSD Cache off) 72.4MB/s

PC to Synology (SSD Cache made into a Raid 0 EXT4 ) 42.7MB/s See note below.
Synology to PC (SSD Cache made into a Raid 0 EXT4 ) 73MB/s See note below.

NOTE
Volume Use to the SSD Cache made into a raid 0 EXT4 was 100% from the PC to Synology..
All tests above from Windows 10 and Windows 2012 R2
Changing the MTU makes no difference as to be noticeable at all.

Still to test but loosing the will to live NFS to VMWare esxi, This can wait for another day.

Now i could live with 70MB/s BUT Why does adding SSDs kill performance, Also i could max out a 2xLACP link to the synology (both Directions) before 6.1
Really feel like smashing the box and posting it to synology and getting a QNAP. It does look like the volume has troble keeping up with the request comming in BUT WHY?????

EDIT

After secure erasing both the SSDs.iv re created the Raid 0 SSD volume and read and write speed is the same as the HDDs. and the Volume use is back to 20%..
My guess is the synology are not using TRIM or its not enabled for me.

Cheers
Rob

I just wanted to report that I am experiencing the same issue. I have a DS1815+ with two volumes. 1 Raid5 with 3x WD Red 6TB and 2x WD Red 2TB Raid 1. I used to achieve Windows explore file copying speeds of 115MB. Now it maxes out at 70 - 75 MB.
When did the slowdown start? I am not sure. However, I have a suspicion that it might be related to the active directory beta package. My suspicion is that the SAMBA components might be compiled in "debug" mode to provide more information in the case of crashes during the beta period, causing less throughput. No, I have no evidence, just a thought. I have used Filezilla to copy the same files to the same target directory on the same target PC (with FTP instead of SMB) and achieve speeds of approx 90MB. This ruled out an ethernet port issue.

By the way, my DS1815+ is connected via 4x1GB ports (LAG) to a netgear switch to which the target PC is also connected (albeit a single 1GB port). As indicated by "themaxti", I can move the same data between PCs in the network (on the same switch) at 115MB. It is only the transfer to/from DS1815+ that is slow.

I would like to remove the active directory package to test, but that would be way too inconvenient. Any other ideas?
Winciu
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Winciu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi,

I tried many solution from this thread to increase speed in my DS212j

I had about 30 MB write and 25 read from NAS, but when i run command :
dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/test bs=256M count=1 oflag=drirect

i wait and saw

root@IRAQ:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/dd2.out bs=256M count=1 oflag=direct
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 91.7323 s, 2.9 MB/s

after that i have transfer read 70-80 MB ISO file from NAS, and write about 50 MB

Someone can explain it to me ?

BTW. When I set samba encrytion to automatic I had 10-15 MB transfert lower
BobBaltzer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby BobBaltzer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 pm

MooseMan347 wrote:
    Select Control Panel;
    Select NETWORK
    Select TRAFFIC CONTROL
    Select (highlight LAN connection, I have two LAN connections 1/2),
    Select EDIT
    Select MAXIMUM (KB/S) field and ENTER 0 (0 = unlimited). Mine was preset to 500kb/s and NOT 0.

Thank you! I had EXACTLY the same limit!

It sounds very strange that I would limit the traffic on a personal LAN without remembering it... Synology?
martmitch
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby martmitch » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Been taking at stab at solving my terrible nas speeds today, literally less than 1mb over my gigabit network

Followed all the advice here, setting the traffic control, turning off encryption, everything to no avail - if this is you, via process of elimination swap out everything in the network chain, cables, switches, the lot - turned out one of my switches although seemingly fine was causing an issue - now im back to 80mb ish writes and reads with the nas, happy days
Baloo
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Baloo » Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 am

themaxsti wrote:Hi all..

I have a 1815+ with 6Gb of RAM on 6.1-15047 U1
2 x lan in LACP link (MTU 1500). 4 x 4Gb WD Reds + 2 Samsung SSD for Cache. SMB 3 / SMB1 No encryption & NFS (This is how it was set in 6.0)

Since 6.1 iv been getting 50/75% the speed over SMB transfers as normal. around 45MB/s or 75MB/s. (See below)
i was getting 110MB/s on 6.0 (Managed this with turning off memory compression in control panel / Hardware and power / general.)

I still can do 110MB/s pc to pc but to the nas 75MB/s is the max (Both Windows 10 using the same Switch the 1815+ is on.)

Things Tried

Turn Encryption to AUTO in Control Panel / File Services / SMB / Advance I get 75MB/s.For 400MB of a file then 16MB/s the remainder.
If i set the 1815+ to SMB2 i cant connect so im guessing its using SMB3 Windows 10. (Dont have a old windows 7 computer any more the HDD Died digging it out to try).
Iv tried setting the SSD Cache from Skip sequential I/O on / off and also removing the SSD cache completely Nothing changes.

Also now get rubbish performance from my ESXI box over NFS but only Reads 18Mb sec, Writes are 110Mb sec. This makes it USELESS for VMWARE.

Any ideas as it gone from a dream box to a nightmare.
Cheers
Rob

Same here.

Do you use Virtual DSM Manager package and Active Directory Server ?
cdht
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cdht » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 pm

Ever since I upgraded​ to DSM 6, SMB transfer speeds on my Gigabit network have been 20MB/s to my DS213+ and 30MB/s from it. I tried everything from setting the minimum SMB to SMB2 and disabling transfer logging. I left that logging on, but when I uninstalled Universal Search as root, it has jumped to 105MB/s from and 70MB/s to it. It was uninstalled by SSH as admin, elevation to root with sudo -s, and uninstalling with synopkg uninstall SynoFinder. I hope this helps someone.
phprime
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby phprime » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:28 pm

cdht wrote:Ever since I upgraded​ to DSM 6, SMB transfer speeds on my Gigabit network have been 20MB/s to my DS213+ and 30MB/s from it. I tried everything from setting the minimum SMB to SMB2 and disabling transfer logging. I left that logging on, but when I uninstalled Universal Search as root, it has jumped to 105MB/s from and 70MB/s to it. It was uninstalled by SSH as admin, elevation to root with sudo -s, and uninstalling with synopkg uninstall SynoFinder. I hope this helps someone.

Would you be able to provide a little more detail on how you uninstalled it through SSH? It's stretching my dormant memories of using SSH.
cdht
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby cdht » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 pm

Enable SSH through Control Panel
Enable SSH through the firewall
Use something like PUTTY to SSH to the NAS
Elevate to root using the following:
sudo -s
Re-enter the password
Uninstall the package with the following:
synopkg uninstall SynoFinder

If this does not improve performance, then it might have been setting Minimum SMB to SMB2 and Maximum SMB to SMB3 and restarting the NAS and the client. I might not have restarted until I recently uninstalled Universal Search.
tekila67
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby tekila67 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:38 am

Hi

I have exactly the same problem. On my DS416 I had about 80mb/s transfer speeds before. After update to DSM 6.1 I have a rate of about 10mb/s.
This is on my PC with Windows 10!

Now the funny things:
From my wifes PC with Windows 7 the rate is still 80mb/s!

One month ago I tryed different things on the SMB settings and suddenly my Windows 10 PC was back at 80mb/s.

After a few days I am back now at 10mb/s.

Dear Synology! If you are not able to to solve this isue this is for sure my last Synology product I buy.
I had two Diskstations before.
But this is definately my last!
jabbermacy
Trainee
Trainee

Postby jabbermacy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 am

Hey, my BRAND NEW DS416play is also only transferring at 10m/byte / sec... NOW, it's also stuck in this ridiculous re-syncing crap SO is that draining too much resources?
If I can't get at least 80mbyte/sec it's going back next week...
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 am

jabbermacy wrote:Hey, my BRAND NEW DS416play is also only transferring at 10m/byte / sec... NOW, it's also stuck in this ridiculous re-syncing crap SO is that draining too much resources?
If I can't get at least 80mbyte/sec it's going back next week...

Did you try putting together a simple volume of all of your spindles in raid zero first and then do a speed test? A paragraph I wouldn't put yourself through a lot of trouble with three singing or initialization until you've done a Ross speed test without rate overhead.

If you haven't done this, stop what you're doing since it's new and do that
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

DS211 read spead dropped from 80 to 25MB/s?

Postby Tuttivini » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi guys,

I have a DS211 with two WD20EARX disks. I store large mkv files on it, so write/read speeds are important to me.
'Normally' it always reached around 80MB/s read speeds (Gigabit, from the ds211 to my win10 notebook).
Suddenly (I don't know when exactly, but maybe after the last dsm updates?) I only reach 20 - 25 MB/s max...

I did a hard-reset on the synology, but nothing changed.
I took the ds211 to my dad, installed it in his network and reached the same 25MB/s.
I tried his own ds213 nas, with the same mkv testfile, to my notebook and it reaches 85 - 105MB/s, like my ds211 also did in the 'past'...

I checked and tried everything in the SMB settings, but nothing helps.

What is wrong, what can I do?

(I don't hope Synology makes my ds211 significantly slower with every dsm update! A drop from 85MB/s to 25MB/s is not acceptable)
w0203j
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby w0203j » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 am

cdht wrote:Ever since I upgraded​ to DSM 6, SMB transfer speeds on my Gigabit network have been 20MB/s to my DS213+ and 30MB/s from it. I tried everything from setting the minimum SMB to SMB2 and disabling transfer logging. I left that logging on, but when I uninstalled Universal Search as root, it has jumped to 105MB/s from and 70MB/s to it. It was uninstalled by SSH as admin, elevation to root with sudo -s, and uninstalling with synopkg uninstall SynoFinder. I hope this helps someone.

This solved my problem!

Transfer rate for SMB jumped from 20MB/S to 100MB/S!

This seem to be a bug need to be resolved by Synology.
Tuttivini
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Tuttivini » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:31 pm

w0203j wrote:

This solved my problem!

Transfer rate for SMB jumped from 20MB/S to 100MB/S!

This seem to be a bug need to be resolved by Synology.

Maybe this also solves the problem on my ds211. I want to try it, but don't know how to disable unversal search. Never used 'commands'. Can someone explain step by step?

Return to “File Server Performance”