Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
themaxsti
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:50 am

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby themaxsti » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi all..

I have a 1815+ with 6Gb of RAM on 6.1-15047 U1
2 x lan in LACP link (MTU 1500). 4 x 4Gb WD Reds + 2 Samsung SSD for Cache. SMB 3 / SMB1 No encryption & NFS (This is how it was set in 6.0)

Since 6.1 iv been getting 50/75% the speed over SMB transfers as normal. around 45MB/s or 75MB/s. (See below)
i was getting 110MB/s on 6.0 (Managed this with turning off memory compression in control panel / Hardware and power / general.)

I still can do 110MB/s pc to pc but to the nas 75MB/s is the max (Both Windows 10 using the same Switch the 1815+ is on.)

Things Tried

Turn Encryption to AUTO in Control Panel / File Services / SMB / Advance I get 75MB/s.For 400MB of a file then 16MB/s the remainder.
If i set the 1815+ to SMB2 i cant connect so im guessing its using SMB3 Windows 10. (Dont have a old windows 7 computer any more the HDD Died digging it out to try).
Iv tried setting the SSD Cache from Skip sequential I/O on / off and also removing the SSD cache completely Nothing changes.

Also now get rubbish performance from my ESXI box over NFS but only Reads 18Mb sec, Writes are 110Mb sec. This makes it USELESS for VMWARE.

Any ideas as it gone from a dream box to a nightmare.
Cheers
Rob
nac6
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 am

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby nac6 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 pm

I have also noticed that transfer speeds using SMB is now about twice as slow as AFP. Not sure when this happened, possibly 6.1 :evil:
stunito0o0
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby stunito0o0 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Is it normal to have 10-12 MB/s transfer speed with a DS216+II on a fresh install of DSM 6.1 Update 1? I am using samba (I presume v2.1 since I am on Windows 7 PC)
I have an TP-Link C1200 gigabit router and both devices are connected via LAN and not via Wi-FI... What is going on?
User avatar
linux4ever
Student
Student
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby linux4ever » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:31 pm

No its not normal, so welcome to the club of horrible performance that has been around for years and the "great" synology support that refuses to fix the issue and replies "it works for me" when you open a bug report.

So it is quite normal to have horrible SMB performance... yey...

stunito0o0 wrote:Is it normal to have 10-12 MB/s transfer speed with a DS216+II on a fresh install of DSM 6.1 Update 1? I am using samba (I presume v2.1 since I am on Windows 7 PC)
I have an TP-Link C1200 gigabit router and both devices are connected via LAN and not via Wi-FI... What is going on?
stunito0o0
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby stunito0o0 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:31 am

linux4ever wrote:No its not normal, so welcome to the club of horrible performance that has been around for years and the "great" synology support that refuses to fix the issue and replies "it works for me" when you open a bug report.

So it is quite normal to have horrible SMB performance... yey...

stunito0o0 wrote:Is it normal to have 10-12 MB/s transfer speed with a DS216+II on a fresh install of DSM 6.1 Update 1? I am using samba (I presume v2.1 since I am on Windows 7 PC)
I have an TP-Link C1200 gigabit router and both devices are connected via LAN and not via Wi-FI... What is going on?


LOL should I go for QNAP then? :D (I just bought it)

Is there any alternative to SMB for windows?
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator
Posts: 977
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby sincarne » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:41 am

stunito0o0 wrote:
linux4ever wrote:No its not normal, so welcome to the club of horrible performance that has been around for years and the "great" synology support that refuses to fix the issue and replies "it works for me" when you open a bug report.

So it is quite normal to have horrible SMB performance... yey...

stunito0o0 wrote:Is it normal to have 10-12 MB/s transfer speed with a DS216+II on a fresh install of DSM 6.1 Update 1? I am using samba (I presume v2.1 since I am on Windows 7 PC)
I have an TP-Link C1200 gigabit router and both devices are connected via LAN and not via Wi-FI... What is going on?


LOL should I go for QNAP then? :D (I just bought it)

Is there any alternative to SMB for windows?


protocol not issue. many of us get better speed with similar model. u not provide information about NAS or network. 10-12 sound like you use wifi.
stunito0o0
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby stunito0o0 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 am

sincarne wrote:
protocol not issue. many of us get better speed with similar model. u not provide information about NAS or network. 10-12 sound like you use wifi.


Well I'm NOT using Wi-Fi. Do I have to take picture of my set up for you to beleive me ? I am connected via LAN cable (both the NAS and my PC) to the same router. Synology is running a fresh DSM6.1 Update 1, I havent touched ANY settings. I just bought it and at about half of my setup done I realised that the transfer speeds are really slow. So I reinstalled the DSM today, updated to Update 1, wiped my HDD-s and set up a shared test folder which i mapped in windows explorer. Transfer speed is 10-12 MB/s (from Windows Explorer and via the browser -> drag & drop).
My router is TP-link Archer C1200, running the latest firmware.
sincarne
Navigator
Navigator
Posts: 977
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby sincarne » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:28 am

how many file? many file mean slower speed

also it do disk check? look at storage manager. that slow lots when first setup
stunito0o0
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby stunito0o0 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:25 am

sincarne wrote:how many file? many file mean slower speed

also it do disk check? look at storage manager. that slow lots when first setup


One 3GB movie file... I am not running a disk check(already did when i did the previous install of DSM), disks are brand new. 4TB WD RED-s. When I bought them I first hooked them to my PC via SATA. I was able to get 160-180 MB/s transfer speed. I am using my SSD to copy and paste the movie into the network drive.
User avatar
linux4ever
Student
Student
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby linux4ever » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 am

@stunito0o0

before you start copying/moving files, go to Resource Monitor app, open the Volume tab. Now start a copy of file(s) and watch the Utilization.

if Utilization jumps to 100% then you know for sure that you have the same bug like many others. For some reason there is something either in the hardware layer or some software bug that causes I/O to die horribly when doing any sort of disk access.
themaxsti
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:50 am

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby themaxsti » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:34 pm

themaxsti wrote:Hi all..

I have a 1815+ with 6Gb of RAM on 6.1-15047 U1
2 x lan in LACP link (MTU 1500). 4 x 4Gb WD Reds + 2 Samsung SSD for Cache. SMB 3 / SMB1 No encryption & NFS (This is how it was set in 6.0)

Since 6.1 iv been getting 50/75% the speed over SMB transfers as normal. around 45MB/s or 75MB/s. (See below)
i was getting 110MB/s on 6.0 (Managed this with turning off memory compression in control panel / Hardware and power / general.)

I still can do 110MB/s pc to pc but to the nas 75MB/s is the max (Both Windows 10 using the same Switch the 1815+ is on.)

Things Tried

Turn Encryption to AUTO in Control Panel / File Services / SMB / Advance I get 75MB/s.For 400MB of a file then 16MB/s the remainder.
If i set the 1815+ to SMB2 i cant connect so im guessing its using SMB3 Windows 10. (Dont have a old windows 7 computer any more the HDD Died digging it out to try).
Iv tried setting the SSD Cache from Skip sequential I/O on / off and also removing the SSD cache completely Nothing changes.

Also now get rubbish performance from my ESXI box over NFS but only Reads 18Mb sec, Writes are 110Mb sec. This makes it USELESS for VMWARE.

Any ideas as it gone from a dream box to a nightmare.
Cheers
Rob


So Iv done some tests...
Pics below
https://goo.gl/photos/MFqbmPph8G25GQkj9

Synology 1815+ 6Gb total (Synology memory module not third party)
4xWD Red 4TB in SHA1
SSD Cache 2x Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb on the 4xWD Reds
LACP link to switch makes no difference if only one cable or 2. Can't remove for test as iv got MailPlus installed and you cant turn it LACP off with MailPlus installed (GERRRRrrrrrr)

PC to PC (Same Switch as Synology) 112MB/s Both Directions Windows 2012 R2 Srv / Windows 10
Proves Switch and PC to PC works as expected. (Single 1Gb link on both, MTU 1500, SSDs in both)

PC to Synology (SSD Cache on) Starts Good then falls to 16.4MB/s
Synology to PC (SSD Cache on) 71.2MB/s

PC to Synology (SSD Cache off) 69.9MB/s
Synology to PC (SSD Cache off) 72.4MB/s

PC to Synology (SSD Cache made into a Raid 0 EXT4 ) 42.7MB/s See note below.
Synology to PC (SSD Cache made into a Raid 0 EXT4 ) 73MB/s See note below.

NOTE
Volume Use to the SSD Cache made into a raid 0 EXT4 was 100% from the PC to Synology..
All tests above from Windows 10 and Windows 2012 R2
Changing the MTU makes no difference as to be noticeable at all.


Still to test but loosing the will to live NFS to VMWare esxi, This can wait for another day.

Now i could live with 70MB/s BUT Why does adding SSDs kill performance, Also i could max out a 2xLACP link to the synology (both Directions) before 6.1
Really feel like smashing the box and posting it to synology and getting a QNAP. It does look like the volume has troble keeping up with the request comming in BUT WHY?????

EDIT

After secure erasing both the SSDs.iv re created the Raid 0 SSD volume and read and write speed is the same as the HDDs. and the Volume use is back to 20%..
My guess is the synology are not using TRIM or its not enabled for me.

Cheers
Rob
Last edited by themaxsti on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stunito0o0
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby stunito0o0 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 pm

linux4ever wrote:@stunito0o0

before you start copying/moving files, go to Resource Monitor app, open the Volume tab. Now start a copy of file(s) and watch the Utilization.

if Utilization jumps to 100% then you know for sure that you have the same bug like many others. For some reason there is something either in the hardware layer or some software bug that causes I/O to die horribly when doing any sort of disk access.

Image

Hmm... 5-10% utilization on 700MB single video file. If it is not a bug what could possibly be the problem? I haven't touched anything since I reinstalled DSM...
User avatar
linux4ever
Student
Student
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby linux4ever » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

@stunito0o0,

it seems like you have a different kind of problem, because in my case Volume Utilization jumps to 100% and all transfers become too slow.
stunito0o0
Trainee
Trainee
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby stunito0o0 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:09 pm

linux4ever wrote:@stunito0o0,

it seems like you have a different kind of problem, because in my case Volume Utilization jumps to 100% and all transfers become too slow.


Okay so... I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, but it looks like it isn't a bug after all... I got my friend's Windows7 laptop and connected it via LAN cable to the router. Speeds were 100+MB/s. IT IS MY F****** LAN CABLE... Changed it and now everything is okay.
ShaftedbySynology
I'm New!
I'm New!
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby ShaftedbySynology » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 am

I'm a brand new customer to Synology, set up a DS216J yesterday only to find the average transfer rate I get to it is 10mb/s. It is not the cabling or switches (Cisco)/router - I get full speed to a computer plugged into the network cable which serves the NAS.

This is disappointing at best, but unusable in reality. I will be returning this budget piece of cack later today... The fact this is not new, is basically the most important aspect of a NAS, and is being ignored by the manufacturer is quite disheartening. Nobody should buy this brand.

Return to “File Server Performance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests