Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
videopete
I'm New!
I'm New!

Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby videopete » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 pm

I see many people with this issue and rarely do I see the cause or solution.
Surely getting 10MB/sec transfer speed from my PC to my synology on a gigabit network is just not right.
Everything is setup correctly.
Can someone from Synology attempt to answer all the many questions related to this issue.
And some of them out there have the high-end synology units so there's simply no excuse.

Am I missing something apparent here? This is not why I purchased Synology. I might as well have simply made my own NAS enclosure.
DS207+ 2 - 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001
Corleone
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby Corleone » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 am

I am also having the same problem on my DS212j.
I bought mine in July and after a month I started to have netwrok speed problems.
Now I heard that a lot people are having this problem and I am starting to think maybe it was a software update gone bad? Because it did work for like a month for me.
I hope synology can do something about this because it's frustrating!!!! :x
duffykins
Distinguished
Distinguished

Postby duffykins » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:15 am

Consensus seems to be it is an issue created within DSM 4.x.

In my case I was getting 60-70MBs over gigabit, but I saw this only once.

Now I get around 20MBs for upload and download. I have checked and re-checked, tested and re-tested my network config (cat5e and gigabit switch) and it is all working to spec.

I am happy that I do not have any network issues hence the finger of suspicion points to DSM 4.
DS412+, 3 x Seagate ST2000DM001 + 1 x WD Caviar Black (all 2TB) in RAID 10
Back up to 4TB HDD via eSATA held in an Akasa X31 Lokstor case.
Billion 7800DXL Modem/Router; TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Gigabit Switch
PCs running Win 7 Pro (mix of 32 and 64 bit)
Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Booms, various Samsung HDTVs
Everything connected via cat6.
duffykins
Distinguished
Distinguished

Postby duffykins » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Just tried backing up my DS212j. Back up speed for 1.3GB was 120 - 130 Mbps. Estimated time for backup was 23 hours. Something ridiculous going on here.
dgcruzing
Novice
Novice

Postby dgcruzing » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:46 am

duffykins wrote:Just tried backing up my DS212j. Back up speed for 1.3GB was 120 - 130 Mbps. Estimated time for backup was 23 hours. Something ridiculous going on here.

Got to agree,
Mine is also a DS212j with the upgrade DSM 4.1.. Running it through a gigabit switch.
Internal Seagate drives With a Seagate Freeagent desktop-FireWire-External drive attached.
Transfer speeds are painfully slow, between usb to internal.

I can compare due to previous setup was the Seagate usbdrive setup as Samba off the Asus RT-N56U..I do need to wipe it and set it up as as ext 3 or 4. Then run some tests.. But it's been so painful to shift the data off it into the NAS that I am taking my time with it.. (it was full so 1T of data)

I also find that using the windows file explorer to issue the transfer commands is faster then using the internal DSM file program...
Also using the Android based Solid explorer dual panel via SMB to issue the same commands seems faster then the internal DSM file program..
More tests need to be run.. And more reporting from users needs to be submitted so that if there is a software program blockage, Synology needs to put out a patch for it.
Last edited by dgcruzing on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chakie
Trainee
Trainee

Postby chakie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 am

I'll chime in with a "me too". Our new DS412+ is much slower than an older FrankenLinux server that it replaced. I have not done any performance testing, but this is something you just see immediately.
linux4ever
Student
Student

Postby linux4ever » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 am

I get low transfer speds in my DS413 via SMB.

Are there any solutions for these kind of problems? Are there any Samba settings that might help?

Thank you.
sliverstorm
Trainee
Trainee

Postby sliverstorm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 am

- Snip -
Last edited by sliverstorm on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linux4ever
Student
Student

Postby linux4ever » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Based on the few tests that I've done, slow speeds are due one or mode of these:

- Synology limits bandwidth based on how expensive is a unit. Same thing they do with Cloud Station. Why? because when our device models match, so do our limits.

- smb.conf is badly configured for gigabit traffic. Why? because there are no "socket options" in the smb.conf to raise buffers, etc.

- The CPU is just not powerful enough to achieve gigabit speeds. Why? because when one transfer is happening, I get the highest speed possible, but when I start a second or third transfer, CPU is nearly maxed out and speeds fall considerably.

I welcome your thoughts :)
linux4ever
Student
Student

Postby linux4ever » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:09 pm

For example, with 1 copy operation I get ~40MB/s (gigabit ethernet CAT6 on netgear corporate switch GS724TP).

But with 2 copy operations I get half of that split between the two:

Eventually the NAS becomes unresposive untill both copy operations have completed :(
linux4ever
Student
Student

Postby linux4ever » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:57 pm

One last thing I forgot to mention, my DS413 seems to use a Gianfar ethernet chipset. Based on my research, this chipset is HEAVILY dependent on the CPU/FSB speed, thus the overall speed of the DS413 will depend the CPU usage.
duffykins
Distinguished
Distinguished

Postby duffykins » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:18 am

I have referred this thread to Synology support on a ticket. Watch this space as I will post any response from Synology here.
serggasp
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby serggasp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:10 pm

I had the same problem, and installing the new DSM version (DSM 4.1-2661) helped. The DSM version changelog contains the line:
- Fixed an issue where file transmission over HTTPS was slow.
linux4ever
Student
Student

Postby linux4ever » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:56 pm

when Syabas released the popcorn hour C200, they claimed it had Gigabit ethernet.

I bought the C200 and it could barely run at 10-100mbit speeds, apparently the device couldn't handle the advertised Gigabit speeds and Syabas gave some lame corporate excuse in the forums.

Lets see what Synology has to say :)
chakie
Trainee
Trainee

Postby chakie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 am

Own tests now seem to suggest that raw transfer speeds are good for single files, say a movie. I get speeds that I'd expect, such as 50MB+/s. However, as soon as more directories need to be traversed then the speeds drop to a tiny fraction. For instance to copy a big source tree with loads of small files gives speed of <5MB/s. A tree I copied locally in 2 minutes took 20 when copied from the NAS. Even a simple Linux "find" is much, much slower on the NAS.

I asked the support about it and I sure hope they fix it, as it makes the thing unbearably slow (my days are spent coding and handling big source trees). The support asked for some more info but after that I haven't heard a thing from them. They wanted me to take out the disks and flash a new firmware too. Yeah, that definitely won't happen. I'd have to buy a Windows license, download some random Seagate .exe file and hope that the flasher doesn't corrupt even one of the five disks. Knowing Seagate and Windows, I will not take that risk.

So far I have not really seen anyone from Synology really care about their customers too much, this forum is full of information about the issue and it seems nobody from Synology has even read these posts. I'd like some more activity from their side, as right now our 700e (without disks) "NAS" is really performing awfully. Had I known this I'd just have updated our old Frankenlinux server with more disks etc.

Return to “File Server Performance”