Slow download through Internet

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
hujik
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Slow download through Internet

Postby hujik » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:24 am

basically same here ... on 20MBit upload internet connection only ~250kBit upload throug videostation or file station ...
Speedin
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Speedin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 am

Still no clear solutino to this isse? I have the same issue as many others with very slow uploads through Photostation, FileStation, VideoStation - practicaly not worth using. Local network works perfectly fine.

Support from Synology would be great...
widescreen
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby widescreen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 am

I just came across the same issue. Since I just got fiber installed at home with 1Gb/s down and 200Mb/s up, I thought I would be able to access my files remotely at a decent speed, at least better than my previous DSL connection maxing out at 1.5Mb/s up.
It turned out there was no improvement ! From a 20Mb/s DSL connection at the office, I could only download at around 100 kB/s, same as before.
Frustrating, especially since I knew everything in my local network setup was fine : all CAT6 wired, gigabit speed and so on. I even have a small file server in my ISP modem/router that I could access at 2 MB/s, ie the maximum of the DSL line I'm connecting from.
Since I was accessing from quickconnect I thought I would give port forwarding a try (I have a static public IP anyway) and bingo, I can now max my office DSL speed, 2 MB/s. I will give another try as soon as I can from a faster connection to figure out the actual max speed, but that's a pretty significant improvement.
Sorry if this was obvious to you already, but the conclusion is that quickconnect was a major bottleneck for me.
CoasterDean
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby CoasterDean » Fri May 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks for the info on this. I enabled external access to my DiskStation using my external IP and Port to access DSM (using EZ-Internet). From the DSM interface, I attempt to download a file, but I'm still maxing out at 200kb/s. This is the same speed I get when using the QuickConnect method. Now that I have "direct" connectivity to my DiskStation using my home IP address, is there some better way to download files that I'm not doing?

Here is some background info on my setup: DiskStation416j (DSM 6.1.1-15101 Update 2); home LAN is full 1GB (Cat6, 1GB switch, etc). Home network is quite fast for file transfers. My Comcast internet service has upload speeds around 10Mbps. I've enabled the proper port forwarding rules on my router (Asus RT-AC66U). I'm attempting to transfer files at a place with about 100Mbps download for internet.

I must be missing something. One setting or some specific method of attempting to download the file that I'm overlooking. If anyone has any input, let me know. Thanks!
jsaddiction
Trainee
Trainee

Postby jsaddiction » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:57 am

I am back again. It has been a while since i have posted. But i figured i would provide an update. I have gone through many software and hardware upgrades on both the disk station and local lan configurations. I have moved twice and used 3 separate ISPs since my last post. I have also replaced my router with an ASUS RT-88U and configured aggregate lan (bond) connection between my router and synology. DSM reports 2000Mb/s connection. Inside the lan the transfer speeds are saturating the lan connections. Outside the lan the speeds are still capped at 300kb/s. I now have FIOS 1gb upload and download speeds. Anyone find any solutions yet??
ehssohbee
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ehssohbee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:37 am

I'm having the same issue on a DS415+. I have a 200Mbps/20Mbps connection. Latest DSM, and have tried 2 different routers (Airport Extreme, and Synology RT2600AC). No matter how I configure the combination of devices by adjusting traffic bandwidth guarantees, QuickConnect, direct connect, different ports {to check if my ISP was throttling home web hosting), SSL vs unencrypted, firewall on/off, single vs bonded ports, indexing on/off, etc. Every time, I still run into the same internet facing download speed limits: between 240KBps and 500KBps. Same if I connected directly to the Synolgy via FTP/FTPS protocols.

I have noticed something interesting... if I use a browser's default download option, the speed falls in the low range. If I use a download accelerator (such as DownThemAll on Firefox), I can max out my speed. It appears my ISP isn't limiting my outbound connection. I even tested out my findings by adjusting the configs of DownThemAll and limiting the number of simultaneous segments allowed. 1 segment gets me the low numbers, and each added segment doubles (or, at lest nearly doubles) the download speed up until the maximum speed. I found 8 segments was plenty for my 20Mbps upload, and I'd get a reported 1.8 to 2 MBps (capital B).

This leads me to believe:
1. the Synology can handle the Internet bandwidth
2. My ISP is not the bottleneck
3. The Synology is, somehow, limiting the internet facing upload speed to a specified range (the limit does not occur inside the network)

I suppose there could be an issue with a router/NAT config limiting the speed, however I have tried 2 different routers, and am able to pass 8 simultaneous 250-500KBps connections through. Does anyone here know enough about the Linux system that the above may offer up some leads? I'm going to start searching for cases of Linux web servers showing similar signs of low bandwidth/but multiple simultaneous sessions to see if the search can be broadened to a service/config tweak that could apply to the Synology OS.
ehssohbee
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby ehssohbee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 am

Maybe I posted, too, soon, and it could be some form of ISP throttling based on packet type or originating source. I setup MAMP, and created a port forwarding rule to my laptop. I got the same download speeds, and it did not matter what port I chose (I picked random ones that I figured were not standard 8088, 8808, 8888, 8080, etc). I can upload to sites like Google Drive, OneDrive, and even upload to another web server without any limitations. However, if the connection initiates from outside my network, then the speed seems to be limited.

I have the ability to put my server at the office, with an unrestricted 100Mb/100Mb business pipe. I'll see if I can set up there, and test speeds over QuickConnect.

Good news is, the download accelerator does seem to help. It just sucks that I'd have to ask anyone I ever share a large file with to use one. For Synology users using FTP to transfer (and running into a speed issue), check out FileZilla client's transfer settings. While you can't get concurrent sessions to the same file, you can allow for the download of multiple files at once. 5+ files being downloaded at 250-500KBps is better than 1 (note, I haven't tried this with my Synology, but I have used this feature when my connection speed was limited [by the admin] to a different server).
noregrets78
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby noregrets78 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Just discovered I have this same problem and no amount of googling is helping. I am THIS close to selling this thing and buying a QNAP if I can't find a solution. I have symmetrical 1gbps internet at home and my file station is running at 500K. At home it works perfectly. This is absolutely unacceptable with no solution anywhere. I've been a huge proponent of Synology for a long time and have had a few but if I can't solve this it will be my last one and I will become very vocal about people not buying one.
noregrets78
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby noregrets78 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Disregard my previous. It was quickconnect causing the issue. Browsing directly to the IP with https and 5001 forwarded to the nas and I'm FLYING using file station over the internet.

Edit: Disabled relay service.
djhifi
Trainee
Trainee

Postby djhifi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Same problem here. Altough Im more concerned in torrents. Using Download Station or Deluge renders the same 10mb/s max download speed/ 2mb/s upload.

This would be great....except i have 1000mbps/200mbps fiber connection in my home and I can max out at my personal computer.

No word from synology...
royremi
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby royremi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:58 am

I noticed that too, I have fiber at home 1gig upload and download.

I used docker to run speed test. I'm using that images : docker pull tianon/speedtest. I get 200 dl and 100 upload speed. From my laptop connected on gigabyte I get 980 dl 980 dl without any problem!
There is something in the synology firmware that don't give the full speed! I don't notice any over cpu and memory usage. I have a 416play with 8 gig of ram.

Would love to know what is doing that!
frankie_xo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby frankie_xo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Same issue here. I just moved to a new city and I have troubles to reach reasonable trasfer speed from my NAS DS413j (placed in my old flat).

My current tested internet connection is 95/95 Mbit in the new place.
NAS connection is slower and a bit unstable: DOWN (to NAS) 60-85 Mbps => 7-10 MB/s, UP (from NAS) 25-50 Mbps => 3-6 MB/s. I have tested this by testspeed.py executed from NAS. Mostly it is 80/40
Edit: The real speed between two locations is much slower. I have executed test speed from NAS (in Czech republic) to server near my location (Iceland). The direction IS->CZ is 60 Mbps the direction CZ->IS only 15 Mbps. 80 ms delay (40 IS->UK, 40 UK->AT). Nevertheless I do not know if the bottleneck is on the way or at my old flat. I am not there physically so I can't run the test from another PC. 15 Mbps means that expected download from NAS is up to 1.8 MB/s. But this is still not explanation for 500 KB/s.

If anybody would like to reproduce similar test then the procedure is following: Check the internet and find speedtest.py for checking against http://beta.speedtest.net/ servers. Put this file somewhere on your NAS. Connect to the NAS by SSH client (Eg. PuTTY). Python needs to be installed. SSH port needs to be forwarded to NAS or you can run it from local network (Eg. with help of VPN). Execute the test by "python speedtest.py". The file should be set as executable. It will do the test against nearest server (to NAS). Then do the same for the server near you location. "python speedtest.py --server ID". ID will be ID of the server. It is easy to find it. Just run the web speedtest from your computer and check what is the used server as best option. Then find the ID in this list https://www.speedtest.net/speedtest-servers.php

I have tested several ways of file transfer. The direction to NAS is no issue. Sometimes the poor CPU is a battleneck (as for SFTP or SMB over VPN). But in case of simple FTP I have speed 7-10 MB/s. So it is basically using my connection to maximum.

The direction from NAS is a disaster. Different clients for WebDAV, SFTP, FTP, FTPS, Filestation will give me something around 300-500 KB/s. 500 KB/s is the limit.

I tried everything possible with computer, NAS and routers. Nothing helps. The only interesting situation is with VPN. If I create a tunnel with help of OpenVPN then I can get 1.6 MB/s UP/DOWN with basic SBM shared folder. NAS CPU is not the limit - tested with forced "cipher none". Interesting observation is that the event through VPN tunnel the max FTP speed to NAS remains 500 KB/s.
Edit: My temporary solution is: Use all the time VPN (just for shared folders). The speed is varying and it is more 800 KB/s than 1.6 MB/s. But it is still better than other ways (400-500 KB/s). I can use this for every day work with smaller files. For larger uploads to NAS I use standard FTP. For larger downloads I have to be just patient :(

I have disabled Quick connect and tried filestation over https and direct IP. No success. Slow :(

I hope that anybody will be able to find a solution. I remember that my friend reported in the past download speed about 3.8 MB/s over SFTP (limit of the NAS connection) in CZ. My wife experienced 1.3 MB/s the on Mac SFTP client in IS. So I know it was possible to achieve a higher speed over SFTP. But today's situation is really frustrating. I am now not so convinced that the issue is just NAS related.

The complete issue can be latency & hops & TCP related. I would like to test uFTP http://uftp-multicast.sourceforge.net/. But I am not so experienced and I am not sure if I will be able to compile and run it on synology NAS. Let me know in case that somebody already tested this solution.
Last edited by frankie_xo on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gigowatt
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Gigowatt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone with that issue. :)

I have a 30/10 mbps internet connection at home, but when I try to download something from my nas through the internet I can't even reach 3mbps :x :x

EDIT : So the problem definitely came from Quickconnect. Now I access my NAS directly through its IP address (with the free synology DNS) and I can enjoy my 10mbps when I'm away from home. :)

Return to “File Server Performance”