slow speed or visible NAS

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
bernieo
I'm New!
I'm New!

slow speed or visible NAS

Postby bernieo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:06 pm

ive been trying to fix this problem for a while ,
im on windows 10 pro version 15063
if smb 1/cif is enabled in windows ,i can see shared folders (my shared folders )
but the files transfer speed is 25mbs flat out ,if i disable smb1/cif in windows ,speed goes upto 113mbs ,has it should be on full gigabit network
but shared folders disappear.
i tried turning off smb1/cif, and mapping a drive or network location , to see if i keep speed ,but as soon as i map drive .you guessed it, it slows to 25mps
i know smb1 is no good for network speed ,
synology helpline couldnt help ,i am convinced the problem lies with windows 10 or version 15063 to be more precise .
anyone else come across this .
thanks
mervincm
Versed
Versed

Re: slow speed or visible NAS

Postby mervincm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm

I have 4 or 5 systems at home using Win 10 Creators Edition, and SMB is set to min 2 max 3 on my synology.
I recently enabled Samba multichannel SMB 3 experimental support mode, and I can see read speeds over 400 MB /second from my Synology 1815+ to my win 10 CE desktop.
I have no issue connecting to shares.

I used to use Quick access to connect to my syno shares, but I found that if I had syno shares added there, then occasionally windows file explorer would become less responsive as it became busy updating those shares.

I now just type in \\syno-name when I want to access shares on the synology, I find its more convenient that browsing the network. I just have to wait a few seconds sometimes and it all pops up.

I know that doesn't help you fix your issue, but I thought you might be interested that others are working in your situation.
1815+ (factory patched board) 4GB 5x6TB WD RED
bernieo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bernieo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:45 am

thanks mervincm
its very odd ,if i copy file from synologys shared folder ie dlna to c: drive full speed 113mbs
yet as soon as i map drive or location ,or even as you suggested \\network storage (my name for nas)
it reverts back to 25mbs when copying from nas to c:
pity i cannot add my shared folders to default synology shares
like you i prefer using \\network storage .
its neater and i find quicker .and no reconnecting mapped drives after restart.
i reckon its going to be simple fix ,once i come across it .tried everything so far
thanks
eaz
Ace
Ace

Postby eaz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:16 pm

There is a long, long post on the forum about this.
Bottom line is:
take care with smb1, as it is vurnerable to the viruses that do the ransomware ( I follow Microsoft: disable it everywhere)

Just make at least one permanent share from the windows file explorer e.g. map P: to \\192.xx..xx..\public, set it to auto reconnect on login.
After that windows will show you the DS in your network.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
bernieo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bernieo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:04 pm

thanks for the advice eaz
but already disabled smb1 i know about the vulnerabilities .
has i said in my post. the second i map a drive or location ,im back down to 25mbs on file transfer
i can get to see my shared folder anytime i want ,but when i do its drops to 25mbs instead of expected 113mbs
i can have one or the other ,but cannot seem to get both at the same time , cannot have speed, and visibility of share.
eaz
Ace
Ace

Postby eaz » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 pm

In that case I clearly did not understand the question. Must be one of these misty win10 network issues. Did you clear all network settings in windows already? there are many posts how to clean op windows networking. Worth a try.
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
bernieo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bernieo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 am

thanks again eaz
yes i've tried resetting networking couple of times
does not seem to make any difference ,well to my problem anyways.
tried everything i've come across while researching fault. heard that microsoft insider ,latest windows beta cures , the nas visibly problem.
might go down that road .
thanks
bernieo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bernieo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:19 am

well for anybody with the same problem .
windows insider latest version, makes no difference.
if i use synology default shares ie music, photo, video. full speed when copying from .
but cannot put files into share
i have to open \\network-storage (my name for nas) to put files into share .
thats when i get slow 25mbs transfer speeds.even with smb 1 cif turned off in windows
very odd

Return to “File Server Performance”