Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
hihs
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Unread post by hihs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 am

I just noticed that my transfer speed from the nas to my PC are much slower than they were not too long ago. Copying a file from the nas over to my PC is now stuck around ~70MB/sec now. Sending a file to the Nas is 100MB+/sec. They both used to be 100MB+. Could someone else with this new update see if this has changed?

hihs
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by hihs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:19 am

turns out this was a software problem on my PC. i was using connectify hotspot which slowed my lan speed down

mdchaser
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by mdchaser » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Might as well throw my story into the mix. Just bought a ds3617+ and installed a 10Gb fiber card (whole network is at 10Gb, most clients running Win10 with 10Gb connection using SATA or NVMe SSDs). It has 7x Ironwolf 10TB 7200 drives in a RAID 6 array, no SSD caching (had it, killed performance, removed it). File system is BTRFS with bitrot protections turned on (can't remember the option).

I can get reasonable read speeds, 400-600MB/sec though it does fluctuate a lot. Write speeds are terrible, It starts off between 5-9Gbps (yay!) for about the first 1GB of data then drops to between 30 and 50MB/sec! I've tweaked every option listed in this long thread with no change. To put this in perspective I have a qnap sitting right below it with a similar drive config and I get 900MB/sec read and 6-700MB/sec write consistently. I feel like I purchased a very expensive paperweight. Any thoughts? I write to this thing constantly so the low write speeds are making my life miserable.

This is what I get consistently no matter which client I transfer from:

MaggieD
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by MaggieD » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:55 am

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!! Beyond ecstatic after spending hours and hours upon days researching God knows how many Google searches trying to find a solution to the slow sync speed. Collectively, I want to thank several of you out there with your independent thoughts and angles on addressing speed issues. I ultimately chose to unlink the music sync that had been going on for days that was going nowhere. Individual files were taking on average 8-9 minutes each to sync. Then today, they stopped syncing. Again, after research, I made some collective adjustments and tried again. It worked! In less than 5 flipping minutes all of my music and album art had synced. (approx. 3400 files) Yes, all the exclamation points because the difference was night and day, i.e. several days to just a few minutes. My scenario may be different than yours so I will describe in detail.

I have multiple computers and devices. I need to decide on whether I'm an Apple or a Microsoft person or find a way to co-exist. I own (this is embarrassing) an iPhone, mini iPad (work), iPad, iMac (old 2012 brick w/iTunes), Lenovo Yoga Tablet-Windows 10 (I love) and a cheap Lenovo desktop- Windows 10 to mirror the tablet w/big monitor for using Adobe as I could never figure out a docking scenario that worked w/tablet. Enough said. **I'll deal w/the Apple devices later. I work for corporate America and routinely access a shared network drive to work, edit, save all files. I purchased a Synology NAS DS218J w/similar thoughts in mind. (Jan 2018) Learning the system, the network behavior (one PC sees it as a computer and the other as a device, etc) the recommended package installations etc... I had a lot to learn. My initial goal: Get Synology to house all key files on the Desktop and Tablet and sync w/each for consistency. Next, I'll test apps on Tablet, iPhone, and iPad at a distance (remote capabilities) before addressing iTunes and iCloud. I started by using the desktop as my guinea pig. Using Windows Explorer I transferred all my photos from PC to NAS photo folder. I then transferred all of my music from the same PC to the NAS music folder. Next, I installed Cloud Station Drive on the local PC. After watching a good YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZSzcCU4g3I) I created a sync between NAS photos and my PC photos. (I have a ton.) Key points in setting up sync (Still do this but read further before doing so): Pick your location on NAS, then go to local PC/Desktop pencil and choose local location. Uncheck "Create an empty CloudStation folder". Click on Advanced, click on Sync mode, uncheck "Enable advance consistency check". I use Two-Way Sync.

Not knowing any better, I assumed all PC settings and Synology factory default settings should be sufficient in running a smooth operation. WRONG. On the Desktop, the photo sync took forever. It stumbled when it came upon some photos that after right-clicking I realized had 'read-only' access rights in their settings,. This was delaying the sync. I quickly unchecked all the read-only boxes on each photo. The sync painfully continued and ultimately finished. After that all is great. Next I synced the Music folder to the NAS (music files already transferred to NAS via Windows Explorer)That went relatively quick.

Confidence building, last week i endeavored to now sync (start small) the Music folder on the Tablet w/the NAS (2nd device). Let's all have the same files synced on each device w/the NAS being King - right? OMG. SLOW as molasses. All in between, Windows Defender wanted to jump in and block activities. I kept clicking on "Allow Access". I was fit to be tied. This morning the sync stopped all together w/380 files remaining out of 3,400. I learned, thanks to Google searches where to find the log to find out how many errors I had. C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\CloudStation\log . Open the daemon.log and don't get a headache.

Collectively, this is what I did. I QUIT the sync :-( by opening up Cloud Station Drive on the local PC and either "Unlink or Stop". Next I logged in to the NAS. Click on Control Panel. Click on File Services. SMB/AFG/NPS tab. (enable SMP s/b checked). Click on Advanced Settings. Maximum SMB Protocol: I changed this to SMB3. I left minimum alone at SMB1. Transport Encryption Mode: I changed this to Disabled (multiple reasons). Click Apply. I rebooted the NAS.

Next, on your local PC (this is not about using a MAC), disable Windows Defender (in my case). I unchecked every box for virus and firewalls. It was not happy w/me doing this. Only temporary. I let the app in my tray to turn all back on after I completed my syncs. If you use another anti-virus, I can only guess they too will get in the way as they sense activities between two devices are dangerous.

Then I fired up "Cloud Station Drive" on the Tablet. When you create a connection to your NAS use the IP# instead of the QuickConnect Name. Click on the search magnifier glass and it will identify it for you. Delete your NAS name that follows the IP# so that just the number shows. Input your User name and Password. The next screen will suggest you switch back to your QuickConnect ID - Say No! Hit Next. Accept SSL Certificate not being safe and move on. You have now created a link between your NAS folder and your local PC using a direct connection w/an IP address that utilizes a faster speed (SMB3) without Windows Defender getting in the way. My Music files literally synced in less than 3 minutes. I cleaned out all conflicts that were identified (easy - another story) and next synced the Tablet's Photo folder (much larger) FAST and DONE!

Google searches, collective thoughts and effort paid off. Synology NAS is now a lean mean machine doing what I want it to. Let me know of any questions.

themax_sti
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by themax_sti » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:01 am

themaxsti wrote:
themaxsti wrote:Hi all..

I have a 1815+ with 6Gb of RAM on 6.1-15047 U1
2 x lan in LACP link (MTU 1500). 4 x 4Gb WD Reds + 2 Samsung SSD for Cache. SMB 3 / SMB1 No encryption & NFS (This is how it was set in 6.0)

Since 6.1 iv been getting 50/75% the speed over SMB transfers as normal. around 45MB/s or 75MB/s. (See below)
i was getting 110MB/s on 6.0 (Managed this with turning off memory compression in control panel / Hardware and power / general.)

I still can do 110MB/s pc to pc but to the nas 75MB/s is the max (Both Windows 10 using the same Switch the 1815+ is on.)

Things Tried

Turn Encryption to AUTO in Control Panel / File Services / SMB / Advance I get 75MB/s.For 400MB of a file then 16MB/s the remainder.
If i set the 1815+ to SMB2 i cant connect so im guessing its using SMB3 Windows 10. (Dont have a old windows 7 computer any more the HDD Died digging it out to try).
Iv tried setting the SSD Cache from Skip sequential I/O on / off and also removing the SSD cache completely Nothing changes.

Also now get rubbish performance from my ESXI box over NFS but only Reads 18Mb sec, Writes are 110Mb sec. This makes it USELESS for VMWARE.

Any ideas as it gone from a dream box to a nightmare.
Cheers
Rob
So Iv done some tests...
Pics below
https://goo.gl/photos/MFqbmPph8G25GQkj9

Synology 1815+ 6Gb total (Synology memory module not third party)
4xWD Red 4TB in SHA1
SSD Cache 2x Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb on the 4xWD Reds
LACP link to switch makes no difference if only one cable or 2. Can't remove for test as iv got MailPlus installed and you cant turn it LACP off with MailPlus installed (GERRRRrrrrrr)

PC to PC (Same Switch as Synology) 112MB/s Both Directions Windows 2012 R2 Srv / Windows 10
Proves Switch and PC to PC works as expected. (Single 1Gb link on both, MTU 1500, SSDs in both)

PC to Synology (SSD Cache on) Starts Good then falls to 16.4MB/s
Synology to PC (SSD Cache on) 71.2MB/s

PC to Synology (SSD Cache off) 69.9MB/s
Synology to PC (SSD Cache off) 72.4MB/s

PC to Synology (SSD Cache made into a Raid 0 EXT4 ) 42.7MB/s See note below.
Synology to PC (SSD Cache made into a Raid 0 EXT4 ) 73MB/s See note below.

NOTE
Volume Use to the SSD Cache made into a raid 0 EXT4 was 100% from the PC to Synology..
All tests above from Windows 10 and Windows 2012 R2
Changing the MTU makes no difference as to be noticeable at all.

Still to test but loosing the will to live NFS to VMWare esxi, This can wait for another day.

Now i could live with 70MB/s BUT Why does adding SSDs kill performance, Also i could max out a 2xLACP link to the synology (both Directions) before 6.1
Really feel like smashing the box and posting it to synology and getting a QNAP. It does look like the volume has trouble keeping up with the request coming in BUT WHY?????

EDIT

After secure erasing both the SSDs.iv re created the Raid 0 SSD volume and read and write speed is the same as the HDDs. and the Volume use is back to 20%..
My guess is the synology are not using TRIM or its not enabled for me.

Cheers
Rob
After more testing. It seems for me at least removing the SSD Cache from the volume and physically removing them from the box and rebooting has now brought the speed back to where it should be. I now get 108MB/s via SMB and NFS for EXSI. IOPS have taken a hit though. I can now saturate both 2Gb LAGG ports with 2 computers so happy.
The SSD's were in the supported list at purchase but Synology and Samsung have had a falling out, I remember there was some talk about them failing under load. SO MAYBE they did something with software.
I would have to get the SSD cache working again and Keep the speed but dont really want to buy more SSD's only for the speed to crash down to a snails pace again.
Cheers
Rob

timborubio
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by timborubio » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Disappointing that so many people are experiencing this slowness and I see no response from Synology moderators nor tech support. On my home network I use Cloudstation Drive to synchronize some folders, Resilio Sync for others. On one PC I recently switched from identifying my server with local (LAN) ip address to quick connect id, preparatory to relocation that PC to another home. Now the sync performance is INCREDIBLY slow. It seems that all the files have to resync, and they are being downloaded at a rate of about one every three minutes - and these are small files of code, kbytes not mbytes. I havne't relocated yet, it is still connected to my server (1513+) via wired high speed LAN.
I am on the brink of giving up Cloudstation altogether, since Resilio Sync (formerly bittorrent) doesn't seem to give me any of these problems. It's very frustrating though not knowing WHY this software is so slow, nor knowing how to diagnose it.

tranzloop
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by tranzloop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm

I just received a DS218j which replaces a QNAP TS-410; ditched for slow write speeds (down to the mobo specs) and made pretty redundant by Windows Server 2016E on Supermicro hardware. I was thoroughly disappointed, then to see write speeds actually slower on the DS.

So just for the record it turned out to be because I had plugged into a Netgear EX7000 AP/Extender for convenience whilst configuring. My backbone has HP Procurve, 8 Port, Managed Switches on it everywhere else and as soon as I plugged the DSM back into that, file transfers rocketed back to 100MB. There is something about the way the EX7000 processes packets on the wired ports that causes the slow down, but which facet I don't know and am unlikely to find out as it is not very configurable.

That's my tuppence worth.

EMP-Tea
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by EMP-Tea » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:34 am

Adding my experience to the pile. I bought a DS1817+ a few weeks ago and after attempting to transfer data from an old FreeNAS machine, I ran into this issue.

Speeds start out fine, then gradually slow to crawl with no explanation. I noticed that every time the transfer speed slowed to 1/10th of the network's capacity, there was a large increase in drive utilization and CPU I/O wait. Sometimes I would get an unhelpful "Operation Failed" error in DSM. When I tried transferring using MacOS as a mediator between the two NAS machines, twice in a row the transfer cause the MacOS kernel to panic.

I contacted support which has been no help. I've tried everything they suggested and everything I could try. I've gotten the same result using FTP, AFP, SMB, through a switch or direct connection. Even 100Mbps vs 1Gbps get's the same scaled result: 1/10th the speed. (100Mbps connection would get around 1.5MB/s and 1Gbps connection would get around 10-15MB/s)

The only difference I did notice is that, when transferring one large file like an ISO or a DMG the speed would never waver from 100% of the network speed, but when transferring (read or write) 50,000 small files ranging from only a few KB to 1.5 MB in size, after a short time it would choke and drop the speed to 1/10th the speed.

The really weird thing was, if it choked in the middle of a 50,000 file transfer, I could start a large single file transfer along side it and the DiskStation would happily saturate the network like nothing was wrong. Even the disk utilization would drop and the CPU I/O wait would drop to normal. If I canceled the large file, and it would drop right back to 1/10th the speed and disk usage and CPU I/O wait would go back up.

Bizarre. :?

ssabripo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by ssabripo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm

this is beyond frustrating, and very disappointing that Synology feedback is nowhere to be found! :(

My situation is a bit different:

I'm copying some files from one Synology (DS214) to another (DS218+) in the same network.... and I cannot get anything above 10mb/s!!

1) I'm gone to file services and disabled encryption and put it on SMB3.
2) i'm using "mount remote drive" to do the copying
3) i've checked all my network setting in my LAN, and made sure all switches (1GB) are working properly.

NOTHING! I still get this miserable speed:

Squozen
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unread post by Squozen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:42 pm

ssabripo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm
this is beyond frustrating, and very disappointing that Synology feedback is nowhere to be found! :(
This is a user forum.

sincarne
Guru
Guru

Unread post by sincarne » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:43 pm

ssabripo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm

My situation is a bit different:

I'm copying some files from one Synology (DS214) to another (DS218+) in the same network.... and I cannot get anything above 10mb/s!!

1) I'm gone to file services and disabled encryption and put it on SMB3.
2) i'm using "mount remote drive" to do the copying
3) i've checked all my network setting in my LAN, and made sure all switches (1GB) are working properly.

NOTHING! I still get this miserable speed:
how many file? many file make transfer slow.

Metsadah
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Metsadah » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:30 pm

daarc15 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:40 pm
I have been suffering slow network speeds, for seem to be forever .......... finally i found some something which has had a MASSIVE effect on my transfer speeds...

I have a Synology 1815+ on my home network and only use Mac's; however i only use SMB due to various reasons

The only 2 changes i made were to do with SMB on the Synology, nothing to do with the Mac's

Synology/control panel / file services
Win/Mac/NFS tab
Windows File services
Enable windows services - Ticked
Windows file service 'advanced settings'
Advanced setting - Max protocol for windows file service changed from default SMB2 to SMB3
Advanced setting - Transport encryption mode - change to Disabled

Speed has gone from 3MB/s to 80MB/s
This helped me a lot as well, to be exact: The Advanced setting - transport encryption mode - change to Disable

The speed literally jumped from max 80 mbit to 1gbit, the weird thing was that I had another connection to the second lan port that was already at 90-100 mb/s (so the full 1gbit). For some reason lan 1 had slow transfer speeds because of this setting, and the other lan port was not affected. Probably because the setting was on auto, I guess for one connection it selected some sort of encryption and for the other one it did not.

esassaman
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by esassaman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am

stunito0o0 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:09 pm
linux4ever wrote:@stunito0o0,

it seems like you have a different kind of problem, because in my case Volume Utilization jumps to 100% and all transfers become too slow.
Okay so... I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it, but it looks like it isn't a bug after all... I got my friend's Windows7 laptop and connected it via LAN cable to the router. Speeds were 100+MB/s. IT IS MY F****** LAN CABLE... Changed it and now everything is okay.
In my case it was an intermediate cheap 1GB router box that was apparently having problems. I had no idea. Unplugged and restarted the router and now my SMB file copies are now going 10x faster! Thanks so much for the clue!!

Return to “File Server Performance”