Slow read speeds with 1815+

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
sackytar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Slow read speeds with 1815+

Postby sackytar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:57 pm

We are experiencing very slow read times at the studio. Using . 1815+ a , Netgear GS108T.

We had around 100mbps write and read speeds before and nothing has changed hardware wise. No Operations are being performed by the Nas when we ran the test. Latest DMS is installed.

Write times are 100mbs read time are no more than 25mbs. What gives. Why would write times be better than read?

We are stumped.

Any help would be great.

Rob
Rusty1281
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Re: Slow read speeds with 1815+

Postby Rusty1281 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Very low speeds while using a gigabit switch. What type of files are in question (large, lots of small files)? What protocol is in question? RAID configuration on that unit? Drives in use? Number of concurent clients and their OS? Is there a LAG configuration on that NAS/switch?

A bit more detail info might trigger some help, coz your current details are poor at best.
Synology DS918+ (4x4TB WD RED - RAID 5 with 2x250GB 960EVO NVMe) | Synology DS412+ (4x3TB WD RED - RAID 5) | RT1900AC
sackytar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sackytar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 pm

No need for LAG config only one client. Large catalog of Still photos and video Files and yeah some small files shouldn't matter data is data.

Tried bypassing the switch altogether and hardwired to My Imac and brand a new Macbook Pro still yielded the same results.

Using (4) 6TB WD gold drives and a SSD cache in bay one per Synologys advice. All drives are operating fine.

Using SHR raid type setup that is operating normally. The switch is set for 1000 Mbps Full Duplex on all ports. SSD is Samsung Pro 840 Pro.

Very odd seeing as nothing has changed since day 1 of install and configuration except DMS updates. I can see if indexing was happening but it is not.

I am going to uninstall the SSD and see if that changes anything.
sackytar
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby sackytar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:26 pm

So after uninstalling the SSD cache I am getting better read times? They are right back where they should be.

As an experiment I will rebuilding the SSD cache with the same SSD to see what happens.

Return to “File Server Performance”