Speedtest - For the life of me!

Discuss with the community any ideas you'd love to see in future DiskStations and DSM updates! We do our best to monitor and forward all of them, but we recommend to also use this form as our team will systematically see your suggestion:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!

Do you want an easy DSM speedtest for Synology NAS <--> Internet?

Nope
18%
Yep
82%

Total votes: 49

pezball
Versed
Versed

Re: Speedtest - For the life of me!

Unread post by pezball » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:49 pm

jyski wrote:My most recent need is proof to the cable company that they are rate-limiting me to a lesser plan than I'm paying for.
The problem with that is that more or less all providers only guarantee a "up-to" speed, so anything from zero up to that speed is a fully functional connection in their opinion. It means your "proof" will not be taken into consideration because "up-to" never comes with a "down-to" counterpart in the contract.
There are simply too many external factors which limit your actual speed at any given time, so no provider is willing to guarantee a minimum speed. Because it would make them liable when you visit a website which has a limit of 100 kbps per client for whatever reason. Or when your connection goes through a slower than turbo router somewhere. The provider can not guarantee that you will always have max speed connection to all sites, because there are no guaranteed routes on the internet. One day a router is down, and your traffic goes the slow way around the world instead.

And if you want to prove your case, you might as well do a regular speedtest on your computer, on same LAN. Your NAS will be a choke-point on any reasonably quick LAN, so it will probably not be able to give you the true top speed. If you get 80-90% of your theoretical speed on a computer, the provider is not cheating in anyway. But on the NAS you may get much slower simply because it's not fast enough to showel such amounts of data quickly enough. A gigabit port only defines the top speed for individual internet packets, it says nothing about the delay time between packets.
DS214, 2 x WD30EFRX, Raid 1

jyski
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by jyski » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 am

I understand your points and I wouldnt rely on a NAS test as formal proof to present to the provider, it would be more for self awareness. But speedtest threads can be analyzed for invocation of rate-limit or FAUP policies by the providers and I am mostly concerned with having trend data that I can look at to determine when a significant and consistent reduction in throughput has occurred. Then i can start analyzing the test flows for forced packet drops etc, and run more proving tests. Most recently I found where my plan was adjusted/reduced at some point to a lower rate plan....yet still being billed for for the higher plan. After confronting the provider about it, it was mysteriously restored the same day. I had probably been reduced for a couple of months before I found it, so a monthly trend report from the NAS would be handy to start with.

djcastaldo
Novice
Novice

Unread post by djcastaldo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 am

I usually use speedtest on my computer to test the internet speeds to my network:

The Synology NAS doesn't show downloads quite this high though, but I use the python script posted in this thread to test it:

As far as local LAN speeds, I use LAN Speed test to verify the read/write speeds to my AFP shares:

These existing tools work well for me. I am using an EdgeRouter to get these WAN speeds to computers on my LAN.

millercentral
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by millercentral » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Maybe what you are looking for? Caveat: I haven't tried this docker...

https://github.com/pedrocesar-ti/intern ... est-docker

SaintNick
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by SaintNick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:46 pm

asaweli wrote:
SaintNick wrote:
level380 wrote:Was just playing with http://www.domotz.com/ that has packages for Synology.

This will do your NAS <-> Internet speed test you require.

https://portal.domotz.com/portal/hardwa ... s/synology
Thank you!
I checked it out, and although it seems a very invasive app that you need to trust, it does indeed include bandwidth speedtests. I'll let you know on this thread how it does.
Thanks again for the only helpful and spot-on reply!

Hi SaintNick. I was also looking into getting a speedtest today for my sinology NAS. Did you end up using this and is it any good? did you ever find a better alternative that is less invasive?
Domotz works nicely as a package from DSM (access through browser), but is overkill for just a speedtest.
A small light-weight Python project does it nicely from an SSH promt: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/speedtest-cli/

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/speedtest-cli/

INSTALL

admin@xxxxxxx:/volume1/homes/admin$ wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel ... eedtest.py

admin@xxxxxxx:/volume1/homes/admin$ chmod +x speedtest-cli

EXECUTE

admin@xxxxxxx:/volume1/homes/admin$ python speedtest-cli

admin@xxxxxxx:/volume1/homes/admin$ python speedtest-cli --version

OUTPUT

admin@xxxxxxx:/volume1/homes/admin$ python speedtest-cli
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from KPN (86.85.xxx.xxx)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Breedband Arnhem (Arnhem) [61.09 km]: 8.737 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 112.90 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 39.96 Mbit/s

nixjps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unread post by nixjps » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 pm

SaintNick wrote:
asaweli wrote:
SaintNick wrote:
Thank you!
I checked it out, and although it seems a very invasive app that you need to trust, it does indeed include bandwidth speedtests. I'll let you know on this thread how it does.
Thanks again for the only helpful and spot-on reply!
Hi SaintNick. I was also looking into getting a speedtest today for my sinology NAS. Did you end up using this and is it any good? did you ever find a better alternative that is less invasive?
Domotz works nicely as a package from DSM (access through browser), but is overkill for just a speedtest.
Hi SaintNick,
You are right, domotz just sounds as a pretty heavy solution for solely ISP throughput checks....
SaintNick wrote: A small light-weight Python project does it nicely from an SSH promt: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/speedtest-cli/
INSTALL
admin@xxxxxxx:/volume1/homes/admin$ wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel ... eedtest.py
[...]
Oh yeah,
Just for my education - :) - what is that adding to the post found just a few postings above?
Ok... I know, reading through long threads can be boring sometimes. But that one is short and.... it's yours :lol:

@millercentral
https://github.com/pedrocesar-ti/intern ... est-docker seems indeed an interesting project. Need sthree docker image, but oh well. If robust, why not :)

For one ready to use docker there is also MRTG/on github. It has a couple of docker instances. This software is around for a while. Has been used by some well known carrier ;-]... Initially focusing on snmp, it can collect informations from scripts as well. see codycrew.net/mrtg, its has a speedtest.net probe.
It's simple and quite easy to implement...
Author as started a new project which is much more active RRDtool, might be a better choice, though. Code to integrate speedtest.net into rdd is available on github.

@jyski
jyski wrote:I haven't downloaded the code and tried this yet, but has anyone set this up in cron (to run every hour as an example) and stored the results in some sort of DB? To the debated need of this, I'm also looking for a small program to regularly test my Internet speeds and be able to provide daily, weekly or monthly results. My most recent need is proof to the cable company that they are rate-limiting me to a lesser plan than I'm paying for. I don't typically leave other machines running all the time, plus my NAS is typically not very busy. I know there are other "network management" apps that can do this, but I like the idea of a simple and light weight app running from the NAS.
Now that I'm thinking about, I have a script running in the background and started at DS boot time that could be easily adapted to collect speedtest data into a file. You would feed the latter into another tool to produce graphs/stats or just into excel.... The background script has been "designed" so it doesn't wake up hard drive from deep sleep. (The purpose of my script is that it checks ISP router status and internet connectivity every 10 minutes, if something is wrong, it logs an event and reboots the router).

Rgds,
DS916+ (8G) - DSM 6.1.3-15152u4 - ST8000VN0022-2EL112 x 3 - 1 SHR Disk Group - 2 volumes - Home Usage
DS216Play - DSM 6.1.3-15152u4 - ST4000DM000-1F2168 x 2 - Basic Disks - 2 Volumes - Off site backup of DS916+ and local browsing of Photos, Musics and Videos
DS916 and DS216Play MAN link (1Gb FFTH same ISP).
DS916 S2S -> DS216Play, HyperBackup of DS916 config & critical data to DS216Play. HyperBackup of DS216Play configuration and local data to DS916

nate8088
Rookie
Rookie

Unread post by nate8088 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:58 pm

polanat wrote:Can anyone share your thoughts why this application is so badly needed to check the real Internet speed. Let me explain my point a little bit. Basically, there are 2 basis combinations:

1. Your NAS is at home and you are at home - here Speedtest client running on your PC/Laptop just do the Internet speed measuring job,
2. Your NAS is at home but you are NOT at home - here:
2.1 you still can use your PC via RDP,
2.2 you cannot use your Laptop because it is (together with you) is not at home and there are no desktops at home running 24x7,

Basically, only 2.2 case is somehow relevant, by why on earth you have to measure you home Internet speed when you are not at home??? Because your wife/husband/kids/grandparents are fighting with each other for the bloody Internet bandwidth, which is so small (Really???) that requires your personal attention when you are NOT at home??? Something is really strange here ...

PS I myself do use Speedtest.exe as win-client application on my laptop only because my last mile connection is still ADSL-based. However in a month I will have a PON connection and Speedtest.exe will become useless since both uplink and downlink speed will be unchangeable due to fibre optical technology. This is one more argument to question why you guys so badly need Speedtest even on Synology NAS :wink:

3. You have a ton of clients with synology NAS devices installed, and you don't necessarily have a PC on site that you can remote into to test things, but you can always remote into the Syno.

Not everyone is a home user. I personally have 4 sites with Synology devices that I support, and I help out other techs who support them at other sites.
I'm not going to be setting up a computer at each one of those sites just to do speed tests.

So, think a bit before you respond condescendingly.
-----------
Using DS213, DS215+, DS1515+, and DS216j

Twisted World
Seasoned
Seasoned

Unread post by Twisted World » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:44 pm

SaintNick wrote:You're a bit of a dumbo IMHO...

Try again.
I don't know where you're from and wether or not English is your native language... or maybe it is just your age... or maybe your IQ... if you even have any... but where I'm from responses like that are considered quite rude. Especially since you don't seem to have ever contributed anything useful to this forum while Rusty is always doing his best to answer questions from noobs like you. I find it even quite amazing that other members in here feel the need to help you out after your first response to someone who is was trying to help you. :evil:
The move to the new "community" is just another example of Synology not caring about customer wishes and [Please control your language] us all in the behind. I'll be leaving this forum and NOT be joining the new "community". It was a fun ride. Please don't expect any replies from me because the e-mail address associated with my Synology account will be disabled. Goodbye and thanks for the great time while it lasted.

ronrosenfeld
Student
Student

Unread post by ronrosenfeld » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:57 pm

SaintNick wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:46 pm
A small light-weight Python project does it nicely from an SSH promt: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/speedtest-cli/

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/speedtest-cli/

INSTALL

admin@xxxxxxx:/volume1/homes/admin$ chmod +x speedtest-cli
Works perfectly for my purposes.

At this location, will the code persist through DSM updates?

Thanks
Ron (DSM novice)

lbutlr
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by lbutlr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:00 pm

level380 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 am
There is very little need for such a application... Most peoples NAS <-> Internet speeds will be the same as their desktop <-> internet speeds.
Not everyone has their NAS on their home connection.
“The chief obstacle to the progress of the human race is the human race. ”
― Don Marquis

Return to “Feature Requests & Product Improvement Suggestions”