Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://account.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
WAM69
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Slow transfer speeds on gigabit network

Postby WAM69 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Increased MTU on my iMAC and Synology DS414 box, still mostly seeing rates less than 30MB/s with brief bursts up to 35MB/s (large files).
The network performance appears to be being offloaded to CPU on the Synology - as soon as I start a transfer the CPU jumps from <5% to over 90% before settling down to hover around 80%.
It's probably only going to take me another day or two to upload my files to the Synology - which I'm using mostly as an archive. I have a second copy (backup) of all files on USB disks - if I really need performance in future I can use them.

Note: I work as a Linux systems administrator (HPC). Jumbo frames really help with NFS on the 10Gb/s and 40Gb/s networks that I manage. I don't have any trouble surpassing 100MB/s over switched GbE networks with an MTU of 1500 at work. It's an unfair comparison though: one of the storage arrays I manage has close to 1Tb/s of backend (224Gb/s of frontend) connectivity per controller while the network cards cost more than my Synology NAS.
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:22 am

Okay,

So, my setup is a DS2415+
Using 4x1GB links in a bond (you can only get 1GB per PC though with 4GB max from the point of view of the unit).
I have two 450GB SSD disks as a frontline cache and 5TB disks filling the balance of the unit.
JUMBO frames everywhere
I get a SOLID 1400Mb/sec on all my transfers.

Without Jumbo frames I get variable rates maxing out at 900-1100Mb/second

I am passing this data from my computers in the house over wired 1Gb links through two switches, and the two switches are linked with a 10GB fiber link.
However I achieved the same speeds on the bench between a PC and the Synology BEFORE i put the switches in place and ensured they had plenty of headroom for the traffic.

Prior to this I was 35 Mbit/sec to an iSCSI target (Promise technologies)
WAM69
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby WAM69 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:52 am

Now copying from USB disks (backup) connected directly to the NAS. Getting my initial upload completed much quicker now.
Have people who are getting ~100MB/s made any network configuration changes on their Synology and/or connected device other than Jumbo frames?
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:40 am

WAM69 wrote:Now copying from USB disks (backup) connected directly to the NAS. Getting my initial upload completed much quicker now.
Have people who are getting ~100MB/s made any network configuration changes on their Synology and/or connected device other than Jumbo frames?

Aside from my config i have listed above - Nope.
WAM69
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby WAM69 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:31 am

I briefly went back to solely network transfers - getting between 15MB/s and 20MB/s now (direct connection with Jumbo frames on at both ends).
No extra software installed on NAS. Very little configuration done, so it's pretty much an "out of box" setup I have.
lburns
Novice
Novice

Postby lburns » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:09 am

WAM69 wrote:I briefly went back to solely network transfers - getting between 15MB/s and 20MB/s now (direct connection with Jumbo frames on at both ends).
No extra software installed on NAS. Very little configuration done, so it's pretty much an "out of box" setup I have.

Can you please post your storage configuration including RAID type, file system, and network config, etc?

as much readable information as possible please.
solo9999
Trainee
Trainee

Postby solo9999 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:14 am

Similar issue here with a DS214play hardwired to router hardwired to ShieldTV. Using NFS. I can't get videos to play smoothly due to slow network speeds. I tried resetting everything to factory, redid all settings etc. Same issue. Router is RT-AC5300. I just ordered a DS718+ to test if the issue is with the DS214play. I also have another router coming for testing. If it turns out to be the Synology I might just ditch it and get a NUC. All I need is a 500GB networked HDD which holds my MKVs and serves to the ShieldTVs for transcoding! Maybe the NUC will do better with that.
Hardcore
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Hardcore » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Getting sick and tired of sinology

bought a 1817+ and the transfer rate is garbage.
Had an old 1511+ and would regularly see 80-100Mb/s with a bonded link directly into the back of the computer and the samba system.

now the 1817+ starts off a big transfer at 40-50mb/s and ends up at a steady 5mb/s
the only change was to swap the cables from one device to the other...oh and to pay out a [Please control your language] load of money.

this is just garbage, why can it start out at half the speed of the 1817+ but then decline to nothing.
synoml
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby synoml » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:22 pm

cdht wrote:Ever since I upgraded​ to DSM 6, SMB transfer speeds on my Gigabit network have been 20MB/s to my DS213+ and 30MB/s from it. I tried everything from setting the minimum SMB to SMB2 and disabling transfer logging. I left that logging on, but when I uninstalled Universal Search as root, it has jumped to 105MB/s from and 70MB/s to it. It was uninstalled by SSH as admin, elevation to root with sudo -s, and uninstalling with synopkg uninstall SynoFinder. I hope this helps someone.

I can confirm this also solved my problem... Transfer speeds on SMB are so much higher now and no more 'hanging' while I want to just enter a f*cking directory on a share, which previously could take up to 20 seconds...
tseward
Novice
Novice

Postby tseward » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 am

Despite removing Universal Search, I'm still seeing a maximum of ~35MB/s transfer rate for single large files from a 412+ with WD Reds. Prior to DSM 6.x, I was seeing ~100MB/s. A local dd shows that I can get >100MB/s. It's just smbd (and nginx if downloading through the web UI) that limit my speed to 35MB/s.
laminam
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby laminam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 am

tseward wrote:Despite removing Universal Search, I'm still seeing a maximum of ~35MB/s transfer rate for single large files from a 412+ with WD Reds. Prior to DSM 6.x, I was seeing ~100MB/s. A local dd shows that I can get >100MB/s. It's just smbd (and nginx if downloading through the web UI) that limit my speed to 35MB/s.

Same problem here after upgrading to DSM 6.x. local speeds are fine (200/MB+), smb and nfs traffic max out around 35MB/s after the update. DS1513+
tseward
Novice
Novice

Postby tseward » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 am

Ultimately what I've gotten back from Synology support is "reinstall". Not really helpful.
Dave0401
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Dave0401 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:13 am

Same problem on my DS214+!

NAS: Synology DS214+ with DX213
HDD: 4x WD RED
DSM: Version 6.1.4-15217-2
LAG connection to network. (2000 Mbit/s)

Before upgrade to latest DSM Version i have excellent transfer speeds. READ or WRITE speed was 100+ MB/s.
Now? READ max 6,5 MB/s and WRITE 70-80MB/s!
Synology DS214+ & Synology DX213
HDD: WD RED Series
Czech Republic

Return to “File Server Performance”