Kind of slow network (disk?) speed

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Dentifrice
Novice
Novice

Kind of slow network (disk?) speed

Postby Dentifrice » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi,

I have a DS916+.
4 HDD (seagate 4TB, 5900RPM)
SHR-1
One volume
BTRFS
Some shared folders with data protection and some don't have it
Some shared folders with snapshots and some don't have it
no encryption
NIC teaming on NAS
Cisco switch 2960

When I transfer files from NAS to computers (read), I have the maximum speed an 1gbs connection can do (around 115 MBps).....for the first 10-20 seconds. Then, the speed drops, then UP again, then drops again. It's not stable

When copying to the NAS (write), same thing but it will eventually stabilize around 30-50MBps... I don't understand why write so slow.

I tried a lot of thing like disabling universal search, one NIC instead of teaming, with and without data protection or snapshots. I tried SMB, AFP and FTP. They don't have all the same speed but it's the same behaviour.

BTW, at first my NAS has two HDD of 2TB, then I added two 4tb HDD, then I replaced my old two 2tb HDD by same model 4TB. So now it's all the same HDD models but a lot of resizing of the volume occurred.

Should I do a defrag of the volume ? I was going to do it then a message told me that defrag with snapshots can increase the volume usage, which I don't understand why.

Any idea ?

thanks
Dentifrice
Novice
Novice

Re: Kind of slow network (disk?) speed

Postby Dentifrice » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 pm

no one has an idea ?

I realize this forum isn't very active... almost all my posts don't have answer...
eaz
Skilled
Skilled

Postby eaz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Probably the replies are limited, because it is not an easy question. You seem to have decent knowledge and probably checked the usual suspects...

100% theoretical throughput, I don't know anybody that reaches that, as any other activity on the network, PC or NAS will reduce throughput. Variability can be a result of cache/buffers filling and emptying again, but also other activity like virusscanners on the pc. Do you use encryption?
Question is, how is your real life suffering from this performance? is it worth spending the time on this?

It will be very difficult to give you a decent answer to your question.
I would set up a test plan, starting with removing all but one cable between computer and NAS, to exclude the network components.
Then, depending on findings go ahead, BTFRS is known to be slower than EXT4 in some setups, as it may do some overhead in the background. You might want to try reformat :-)

So no answer, maybe some direction..
Please share if a reply was useful or how the issue was solved, it helps other DS users.

DS415+ (2*4TB HD raid1 + 2*480GB SSD raid1), DS212+ (2*WD red 2TB), previous DS411J, DS106
Dentifrice
Novice
Novice

Postby Dentifrice » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks !! an answer :D

to be honest, there is no real life suffering. It's just my OCD :lol:

Yeah I though of BTRFS but I can't reformat. I have too much data and no place to copy it.

I'll try to install a windows based files server and check if it's the same performance. This way I'll see if it's network or synology related ...

BTW, no encryption, no antivirus

Return to “File Server Performance”