Slow USB 3.0 Transfers. VERY Slow!!

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
hydraulix
I'm New!
I'm New!

Slow USB 3.0 Transfers

Postby hydraulix » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Hey guys,

I just purchased the DS216Play.

I currently have 2x 4TB WD Red drives installed in Raid-0 and a Seagate 8TB USB 3.0 drive connected to the rear USB 3.0 port for backup of the array.

When I connect my Seagate USB directly to my Asus laptop, my transfer rates are around 188MB/sec r/w.
When I connect the same drive to the back of my NAS, my transfers during File Station copy or Hyper Backup backups, seem to max out around 50-60MB/sec.

I need to begin backing up the NAS soon, but I wanted to see if these transfer rates are normal for this NAS or should I be expecting to see more? At 50-60MB/sec it will take quite some time to backup a full. 6-7TB.

I've searched through quite a few threads on here, and people experiencing the same issue haven't seem to found a common solution.

Any ideas?
syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Re: Slow USB 3.0 Transfers

Postby syno.dustin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:33 pm

There's already a thread: https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... t=slow+usb

Common factors include file system of the USB drive and number of files in a transfer.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.
ghoover
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Slow USB 3.0 Transfers. VERY Slow!!

Postby ghoover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:43 am

Similar problem here except I'm getting 10K/s for an HFS+ USB3 drive.

UPDATE

Been doing some experimenting and smaller numbers of files is faster but still not what it should be.

UPDATE 2

If you can, archive the files using zip or tar and then transfer that single file (getting around 60-70MB/sec), then unzip / untar it. Still not what I'd call fast, but way better than the 10K/sec I started with.
n1ti
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby n1ti » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:54 pm

I fell in love head over heels with the Synology products, but I too am disappointed with the USB3.0 performance. I've tried juggling hardware and using different Synology apps to test with...mainly File Station and HyperBackup. My configuration is a 916+ with 8G stuffed with four 4TB HGST NAS drives. First two drives are raid 1 while drives 3 & 4 are jbods. Sata and lan performance is obscene compared other NAS products I've owned. Couldn't ask for better. The USB3.0 performance is another story. I'd like to keep the external drives formatted with NTFS for emergency "grab and go" units and for non-technical family members to have a fight chance of mounting these in case of something ever happening to me (family photos, videos, music...our entire digital life). I want them to be able to plug and play these drives without having to run restore programs.

I am also anal about backup and have been buying DS216J as remote Hyperbackup targets. Two of which are on-site and a third will be located at my daughters house an hour away to give me off site redundancy. Each of the DS216J targets each have two 4G drives in raid 1 too. I had planned to also take advantage of the dual USB3 ports on each of the 216J to mount all of my surplus USB2 drives on. With that being said, I actually found USB2 drives perform slightly faster than the USB3 drives (I haven't quantified this yet...just a feeling) but my main focus has been on gett the USB3 drives straightened out.

I have a couple more 216J coming in the mail soon as scratch/sandbox units that I want to experiment with. Now that I've committed the Synology farm as my primary storage for my family, I don't want to do much live experimenting.

All in all...I love Disk Station Manager and the collection of apps. However this USB3 thing is an annoying thorn to me and will probably give me cause to hold off on further purchases. I do like some of the non-Synology solutions to the problem but I really want to get to a completely hands off approach to fulfilling my needs.

Next challenge is setting up some of the media apps (but won't expect to stream from USB3 hardware).
sincarne
Novice
Novice

Postby sincarne » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Try exfat cuz ext4 would not work for your family. NTFS has always had bad performance
bamboo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby bamboo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 pm

My experience is similar: using a 128GB USB3 flash drive, formatted NTFS, I copied via file station, copy/paste, 22k files using 12GB to the flash drive. It took three hours!
There were times during the copying that CPU usage was zero. The Synology system is a DS216+. Restoring these files to a Windows 10 PC via a USB2 port took ten minutes.

Return to “File Server Performance”