Performance issues DS1511+ (inconsistent read speeds)

IF your questions pertains to using the file server performance, transfer issues, jumbo frames tuning, post it here.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form and check this FAQ:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... se/faq/586
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
mhawryl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Performance issues DS1511+ (inconsistent read speeds)

Postby mhawryl » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:13 pm

First off, I have searched the forums and Google for any thread relating to Synology NAS's with high Volume Utilization, slow or erratic transfer speeds, etc., and have not come across anything that appears relevant to my current situation.

Here are the vitals of the setup:
- DS1511+ with DX510 expansion (checked, replaced, and tested the eSATA cable between the units), and 4GB RAM (upgraded from the 2GB that came with the unit)
- Running the latest DSM, consistently keeping up with updates as they are released
- 2Gbps Link Aggregated network connection (1500 MTU) connected to Managed L2 GigE Switch with IEEE 802.3ad capability
- 10 x 3TB SATA drives, combination of Toshiba, Seagate, and Hitachi (All of which are on the compatibility list)
- RAID6 array (EXT4 file system) with all Extended S.M.A.R.T. tests passing with no issues, no rebuilding, no party consistency checks, etc.
- Wired Cat6 GigE network with L2 Switches (no streaming attempted over WiFi)

Key thing is that the setup described above has been in place for several years without issue.

About 4-5 months ago, I could no longer stream movies from the NAS without the video pausing every 20-30 seconds. My read rates from the streaming device (Dune) used to be a consistent 10+MBps (80Mbps). Now they bounce around, going to zero, then everywhere in between.

The only time I had issues before that is if I tried to watch a movie with the family while the Antivirus happened to have kicked off a Full Scan - where stopping/pausing the scan would solve the issue.

I started monitoring the Resource Monitor and noticed the Volume Utilization would be maxed (maybe dropping to 95% at a minimum). I began stopping or uninstalling Packages to see if I could find the culprit. There were several packages over the years that I played with and ended up not using and stopped. I uninstalled those.

After stopping pretty much EVERY package (except for RADIUS server - which has been running for years as well without impacting streaming), I still get Utilization spikes, with an average of about 45-50% Volume Utilization with ZERO connections to the NAS. I've rebooted the NAS, the Switches/Routers, the end devices, etc. knowing that "turning it off, and back on again" solves 95% of the world's IT issues. No change.

Testing a 30GB file copy from NAS to Desktop (with it's own 3 disk RAID5, connected to the same local switch with a GigE connection), I get transfer rates as high as 75 MB/s and as low as zero, with the rates see-sawing everywhere in between.

Previously, I would have sustained 100+MB/s transfer rates to the desktop and the ability to stream Bluray ISO's to three devices at a time without stuttering.

Again, nothing has changed on the setup in years, aside from the regular DSM updates, and occasional HDD replacement (they die after about 3-4 years and I've had the NAS for 5 years).

As a last ditch effort, I launch a RAID Scrubbing (which is at 0.30% complete and expected to take 300 hours to complete) to see if performance improves afterwards.

Does anyone have ANY ideas why my throughput has gone to $h*t??
sfmike
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Performance issues DS1511+ (inconsistent read speeds)

Postby sfmike » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:48 am

I am experiencing something very similar to what you describe. After three plus years of rock solid operation of my DS1512+, I now am getting seesawing transfer speeds, and intermittent disconnects of my iSCSI LUN (which I use to record from Windows Media Center). This problem occurs even if I direct connect a single PC to the server. The problem is consistent and makes it unusable as a media recording / streaming server. It used to run rock solid at 110MB/second - just now for example when I transfer a 5GB file it starts okay, but about halfway through it drops to 20MB/second and limps to the finish.

I have been working with Synology support, and at their direction have replaced a drive and reinstalled the OS, but without success. Synology has remoted in to my server, and they say there is nothing wrong, despite the evidence.

I believe my problem started after two power failures (I have since added UPS).
hYp
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hYp » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:42 pm

hi,

Had the same problem with my DS1511+ with DX510 and DX513 expansion.
The problems started after upgrading from DSM 5.2 to 6.0, and I could never resolve the problems. Streaming media and copy performance was very erratic.
The solution to my problems was downgrading the firmware to 5.2. After I downgraded the firmware, all performance problems were gone.
The problem is most defenitely something in firmware 6.0

hYp
pcunite
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pcunite » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm having a similar issue. Please confirm if you're nmbd service restarting over and over. SSH into your box, and do a tail -f on the /var/log/samba/log.nmbd file. Then start a file copy (at least 500mb) down to your desktop. You'll see Got SIGTERM: going down messages occurring over and over.

You can see artifacts of this occurring in the top command as well.
hYp
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hYp » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:34 pm

pcunite wrote:I'm having a similar issue. Please confirm if you're nmbd service restarting over and over. SSH into your box, and do a tail -f on the /var/log/samba/log.nmbd file. Then start a file copy (at least 500mb) down to your desktop. You'll see Got SIGTERM: going down messages occurring over and over.

You can see artifacts of this occurring in the top command as well.

Hi,
In my case, I use NFS for streaming, and had the same issues.
From my testing it did not matter if I used SMB or NFS... same problems..
I downgraded to firmware 5.2, problems gone. Upgraded again to 6.0 to test but problems were back instantly.

I went back to firmware 5.2 and I NEVER had the problem again..

hYp
sfmike
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sfmike » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:02 pm

I got this note from Synology support yesterday:

We are currently monitoring an issue related to monitoring widgets and tools within DSM potentially affecting disk I/O. You can try disabling all DSM widgets and testing performance again without any instance of DSM in a browser loaded on any clients.

Didn't fix me but worth a try.

Doesn't going back to 5.2 open up vulnerabilities? The folder for 5.2 on their download page is dated 4/28/2016.
hYp
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hYp » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:16 pm

sfmike wrote:I got this note from Synology support yesterday:

We are currently monitoring an issue related to monitoring widgets and tools within DSM potentially affecting disk I/O. You can try disabling all DSM widgets and testing performance again without any instance of DSM in a browser loaded on any clients.

Didn't fix me but worth a try.

Doesn't going back to 5.2 open up vulnerabilities? The folder for 5.2 on their download page is dated 4/28/2016.

Synology still updates 5.2 with security fixes.
The latest update is dated 2016/07/26 called DSM 5.2-5967 Update 2

hYp
pcunite
Trainee
Trainee

Postby pcunite » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:03 pm

hYp wrote:I downgraded to firmware 5.2, problems gone. Upgraded again to 6.0 to test but problems were back instantly. I went back to firmware 5.2 and I NEVER had the problem again ...

Awesome. Do you have instructions for this process?
hYp
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hYp » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:03 pm

pcunite wrote:
hYp wrote:I downgraded to firmware 5.2, problems gone. Upgraded again to 6.0 to test but problems were back instantly. I went back to firmware 5.2 and I NEVER had the problem again ...

Awesome. Do you have instructions for this process?

Hi,

I succesfully used the method described in this forumpost;

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=46450&hilit=downgrade+firmware&start=330

hYp
sfmike
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sfmike » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:55 pm

I buy that something is wrong with V6, and there are several other threads documenting issues. In my case, the iSCSI LUN seems to have stabilized and I've resumed using the NAS to record and play back TV. Read times are about 80MB/second over a long Ethernet run to a gigabit switch.

Yet I continue to see the slowdown when doing large file transfers from a shared folder - starts okay then ramps down to 25 MBps +/-. Since shared folder performance is not as critical for me, I'm going to stick it out with V6 for now.
sfmike
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sfmike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:24 am

Well my slowness has reappeared. Instead of 80MB/sec, I'm seeing 10-40 which is causing Windows Media Center to barf. Argh...

Return to “File Server Performance”