Could latest firmware be affecting fan?

The amended update to DSM 2.1-0832, discussion 2.1-0839 here. Updated services included "User Home" folders, File Station 2, and Download Station 2. DSM 2.1-0839 is avaiable for all currently supported x07, x08, and x09 Synology systems.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
swindler
I'm New!
I'm New!

Could latest firmware be affecting fan?

Postby swindler » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:58 pm

I've had my CS407e for a few months, and it has worked well. On 3-22, I upgraded my firmware from 0732 to 0832. Then, two days later, I got a "fan stopped" notification. (Note, the system log just records that the fan is "out of order", whereas the notification messages say "stopped").The system shut down on it's own as expected. I powered it back up twice, both times giving me a "fan stopped" in about an hour. However, I inpsected the fan both times, and it was running.

Despite the fact that the fan seemed to be working, I replaced the fan with a 3-pin Noctua NF-R8, which I've used in computer chassis before (very quiet and still good airflow). Within about a day, I got the "fan stopped" message. After it shut down, I tried it again and again got the message in about an hour.

I thought I'd try downgrading to the prior version of firmware, to see if the new firmware was causing it, but when I went to the Synology support site, I noticed they had already released a version to replace 0832. Given that it was so quickly changed, I thought there might be a "fix" for the fan issue. So I upgraded again to 0839. This time, the system ran for almost two days before I got the "fan stopped" message.

I never did try downgrading to 0732, as there was a note that the device does not permit downgrading.

I'm just wondering if there isn't anything in these last two versions of firmware that can be creating this condition? The curious thing, is that I've inpected the fan many times, including while the CS407e was beeping, and the fan has always been running. The fact that I've had two fans do this now, and this only started after the firmware changes really makes we wonder.

While monitoring system temperatures, I rarely see the temperature above 34ºC, and hard drive temperatures above 32ºC. So I don't think the system failures are being triggered by high temperatures.

Any thoughts?
jekyll
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Could latest firmware be affecting fan?

Postby jekyll » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:25 pm

swindler wrote:I replaced the fan with a 3-pin Noctua NF-R8, which I've used in computer chassis before

Not all fans work with the synology device, the system counts the RPM's
swindler wrote:I never did try downgrading to 0732, as there was a note that the device does not permit downgrading.

Downgrading is possible on synology systems, however is not officially supported
swindler wrote:I'm just wondering if there isn't anything in these last two versions of firmware that can be creating this condition?

Maybe you have a corrupt system partition

swindler wrote:I rarely see the temperature above 34ºC, and hard drive temperatures above 32ºC. So I don't think the system failures are being triggered by high temperatures.

i use a 407, this is normal operating temperature for my WD's
Synology DS1010+ 4.3-3827-U8 | DS410 4.3-3827-U7 | DS509+ 4.2-3252 | DS209+ 3.1-1748 | VS80 x 2

APC UPS1500RM2U | APC AP7920 | Linksys SRW224G4P | Linksys SRW224G4 | 802.3af IP cameras x 10

www.jekyll.info
swindler
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby swindler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:05 am

jekyll wrote:
swindler wrote:I replaced the fan with a 3-pin Noctua NF-R8, which I've used in computer chassis before

Not all fans work with the synology device, the system counts the RPM's
swindler wrote:I never did try downgrading to 0732, as there was a note that the device does not permit downgrading.

Downgrading is possible on synology systems, however is not officially supported

Well the Sunon fan (OEM) is rated 2300 RPM and the Noctua is 1800 RPM, so it is slower. Perhaps the Sunon is having trouble keeping speed and the Noctua is just too slow. It's too bad, though. Both are rated at 31 CFM, but Sunon is 26 dB and the Noctua is 17 dB - same airflow with less noise.

I have a handful of other fans around (e.g., Papst, SunAce, Nexus). I will review their RPM/CFM specs and try to see if I can find a winner.

If this fails, then I might try downgrading.

Thanks.
heol
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby heol » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi!
I have the same problem, I also replaced the fan with a Noctua that is much better and more quiet.
I did this over 1½ years ago, and it has worked perfectly until after the last FW upgrade, my previews was 732, so I skipped one.

BUT the problem seems to show ONLY after my CS407 is waking up after a "sleep".
All works fine after boot, no alarms, but when it wakes after the sleep the drives AND the Fan revs up, but the alarm goes off :-(

So what happens during sleep???
I think this could be some kind of SW error, maybe the rpm counter is affected somehow by the sleep state?
As i said, it has been working fine for so long so why should it stop workning now? the only thing changed is the FW.

Hope someone can have a look at this at synology, maybe something has changed in a bad way in the new FW.
Or... maybe the old behavior was wrong and is has been fixed, if so please tell me and I will replace the fan with the old one.

/Henrik
swindler
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby swindler » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:39 am

Heol-

I'd begun to give up on the firmware being the cause, but your experiences make me think again. I like the Noctua fans as well and am sad I cannot use them. If the system is being cooled adequately, it doesn't seem that it should matter the RPM speed of the fan. To me, it seems like the issue of "a working fan being reported as failed" is either a spin-up issue similar to what you describe, or there's been some overt code put into the last two revisions of firmware that specifically measures the fan's RPM - as a matter of augmented diagnostics.

I could not find a fan in my stock that ran at 2300 RPM. Most all of my fans are designed to be lower noise, which usually means slower. Sometimes that means less airflow too, but not always (e.g., Noctua). But regardless I decided not to try downgrading, as I don't want to be trapped into an old version of firmware.

I looked around for another Sunon, but instead found another fan that I'm going to try - the Noiseblocker M8-S3HS. This fan is from Germany, appears to be of good quality, is designed to be quiet, and is close to the speed of the Sunon (2200 vs 2300). I'm hoping that 100 RPM slower is close enough. It has the same airflow rating as the Sunon and Noctua, and is 7 dB quieter than the Sunon (still 2 dB more than the Noctua). I just received it and will try it and see how it runs. I'll post my results in a week (or sooner if it fails).
swindler
I'm New!
I'm New!

UPDATE: Re: Could latest firmware be affecting fan?

Postby swindler » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:41 am

For what it is worth, my CS407e has now gone 7 days and 3 hours with the Noiseblocker M8-S3HS fan. Once again, this fan is 7 dB quieter than the OEM Sunon, while only 100 RPM slower, and provides the same airflow. With two other fans, I was unable to make it two days without the system shutting down because the fan was errantly detected as stopped.

Based on what I've experienced during this short test, I would recommend the M8-S3HS for anyone that requires a fan replacement.

Return to “Disk Station Manager 2.1-0839”