Browsing other user shares not fixed

The amended update to DSM 2.1-0832, discussion 2.1-0839 here. Updated services included "User Home" folders, File Station 2, and Download Station 2. DSM 2.1-0839 is avaiable for all currently supported x07, x08, and x09 Synology systems.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
junkyxl
Experienced
Experienced

Browsing other user shares not fixed

Unread post by junkyxl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi,

I just installed the new 839 firmware on top of the 832 but the issue of users being able to access other users "home shares" is still possible. this is what i've tested:

- Installed firmware
- to make sure i'm using a clean system i've rebooted a second time

1) Checked if I was able to browse my home share by entering \\diskstation\home ==>
worked ok
2) Checked if I was able to browse other users home share by entering \\diskstation\<username> ==>
Also still works. Not the result I was hoping to see... I expected this issue to be fixed. according to release notes
3) Created a new user and a new share to see if the issue only exists in the existing shares and users. ==> Same result. issue still occurs
4) Checked the newly created user home folder security properties in file station ==>
the access rights are not correct see image: http://www.filesanywhere.com/MediaLink. ... 9Esv%A7%A3 (Sorry for the dutch language) but I think you get the idea. I think no one but the owner should have read/execute rights.
5) I checked the access rights of the "homes" share through ssh and they are: drwxrwxrwx root root ==>
looks normal..

What does work is removing the read/execute permissions in file station for each of the user folders individually.. Obviously this is not an option! neither is changing the access permissions through file station for each user I create. :(

Please verify my finding by testing this....
Regards, JunkyXL

Synology DS710+, RS212, DS713+, DS115

HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Re: Browsing other user shares not fixed

Unread post by HarryPotter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Sorry, I cant verify this.

With FW 832 I was able to see other home directories by entering \\diskstation\username

With FW 839 I dont get access anymore, there is a message that this folder doesnt exist.

And also on the German forum there are users reporting that this bug is fixed.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i

lavers
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by lavers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 am

I also verified that the bug was fixed.
DS-213 / DSM 6.0 7274
DS-716+ / DSM 5.2 5644 Update 3

junkyxl
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by junkyxl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi,

Oke, I will re-test it again..
Regards, JunkyXL

junkyxl
Experienced
Experienced

Unread post by junkyxl » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking to do the following to get this to work properly
- backup all user data to another location temporarily.
- shutdown mail server in the mgt gui
- disable "personal folder" option in the mgt gui
- remove folder /volume1/homes (including all sub folders, through ssh)
- Turn on "personal folder" option in the mgt gui and let the syno box re-create the "homes" folder + all personal user folders.
- copy data back to user folders
- turn on mail server?

My questions are:
- can I remove the homes folder (recursive) and let the syno re-create everything when I turn on the personal folder option?
- Will the mail server be able to read the .maildir folder of the users after they've been copied back to the personal user folders.?

Thanks in advance.....
Regards, JunkyXL

Return to “Disk Station Manager 2.1-0839”