Baïkal contacts (CardDAV) and calendar (CalDAV) installation

The discussion lounge for third-party packages.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Basalt
Student
Student

Baïkal contacts (CardDAV) and calendar (CalDAV) installation

Postby Basalt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:52 am

"Baïkal" is already existing for some time now and has been applied successfully by several members of this forum. Until now, this required some manual work.
I assembled an SPK installation package to do all this with the standard DSM graphical interface :wink:

Features
- Baïkal CardDAV server for Contacts
- Baïkal CalDAV server for Calendars
- Lightweight, 2 MB code base, just wat you need: nothing more, nothing less.
- Install, upgrade and uninstall using DSM Package Center
- Baïkal icon in the DSM Start menu for the Baïkal Web Admin configuration tool
- Unlock the Web Admin using DSM Package Center (stop/run)
- Your choice: use SQLite or MySQL to store contacts/calendar data
- Suitable for DSM v4 and v5
- Written in PHP and shell scripts, should run on any Synology NAS ("no architecture")
- Comprehensive manual (PDF file), also covering the Client side configuration
- Manual based on DSM v5, older version available for DSM v4

The files are available on SourceForge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/baikalforsynology/

Good luck & Best regards,
/Erik
Last edited by Basalt on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
If these be vague words, then seek not to clear them. Vague and nebulous is the beginning of all things, but not their end, and I fain would have you remember me as a beginning. Life, and all that lives, is conceived in the mist and not in the crystal. And who knows but a crystal is mist in decay?

Kahlil Gibran, "The Prophet"
Pubd
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Baïkal contacts (CardDAV) and calendar (CalDAV) installa

Postby Pubd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Thank you so so much, Basalt, for having done this great job (this package for Synology and your good documentation to know what to as "client" of these services).
Thanks to you, I succeeded in implementing my "own cloud" solution to the problem introduced by Apple's Mavericks (loss of usb local sync).
Before that, it was too complicated for me (and many others, I think...) and I was a little desperate, at the point to abandon...

(And to complete my "cloud", "Notes" are synced by an IMAP mail server (not POP3), which can be an other one than Google's Gmail or Apple's iCloud...)

Just one question: I understand I need to be at home to sync (we are in "localhost"), could you, eventually, explain how to sync in a sufficiently "secure" way (...) from internet (I have an adsl box - okay, I need to redirect ports for the synology, but Mysql itself is in localhost, etc. - I don't see... ) ?
Perhaps in an other version of your documentation, completed on that point ?
Thanks again !

Pubd
Basalt
Student
Student

Postby Basalt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi Pubd,

CalDAV and CardDAV both use the standard http or https, i.e. Port 80 or port 443. The "localhost" is just to tell Baikal that MySQL is on the same machine, this is an intenal matter, not relevant to the clients.

You need to make one of these ports available from the outside world, the secure 443 strongly preferred of course. This implies making sure the Syno firewall does not block such connnections, port forwarding in your adsl modem, and you will have to change the URLs (.../card.php and .../cal.php) in your clients to use the externally accessible address, e.g. your external adsl ip address, or a DynDNS name. Not sure, but you may need to make a self-signed certificate as well for secure connections.

Please look what you would need to do making your own website on your Syno accessible from outside, the same applies to CalDAV and CardDAV :wink:

(Actually, I am using it only on the internal network, that is why I cannot give you exact instructions, sorry for that)

Good luck,
Erik.
If these be vague words, then seek not to clear them. Vague and nebulous is the beginning of all things, but not their end, and I fain would have you remember me as a beginning. Life, and all that lives, is conceived in the mist and not in the crystal. And who knows but a crystal is mist in decay?

importedprogrammer
Versed
Versed

Postby importedprogrammer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:46 am

Be Much nicer to move it to https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc instead of SourceForge :D

also see my post viewtopic.php?f=77&t=69408&p=303328#p303328 ldap support added
DS713+ 4GB Ram linked to Raspberry Pi V2 Samba4 PDC & Cubieboard A20 Samba4 BDC.
Vranicoff
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby Vranicoff » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 am

Hello Pubd,

I always sync from my local network. To do this securely when I am out of the house I first connect via VPN. You mobile device should have a VPN client. Some routers have a VPN server built into them. If your's doesn't you can setup the VPN on a computer at home and port forward to it in your router.

http://www.wikihow.com/Configure-a-VPN

For the record I think it is a shame Synology is paying more attention to integration with corporate giants like Samsung which defeats the purpose of having a self contained environment and chooses to ignore the wishes of their customers by emphasizing device autonomy with very strong support for the xxxDAV technologies and internalized applications. Connections to 3rd party services is just selling out their customer base. It used to be a device with a lot of promise, but as of DSM version 5 I'm becoming pretty disapointed.

Steve
slammerhammer
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby slammerhammer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am

Hi - Thanks for this SPK

But i proberly a dumb question on this forum. But do i install this Baikal calendar with the SPK?
Can anyone help me here. Im really new.
JFalc
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby JFalc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks for the SDK.

The install seemed to work good but I am getting a problem accessing the baikal CalDAV and CardDAV server from a client. I keep getting that the server failed to authenticate. It can't seem to connect using the username and password and my dydns server name. Should I direct it to a specific port? (I am using SQLite option).

Can someone please list what other services/ports need to be running and how for this to work?

I think I am almost there but it does not seem to be working for me.

Thanks,
John

P.S. In answer to the prior post, you load the SDK by downloading it to your hard drive. Then get into the Synology web interface and select PACKAGE CENTER and MANUAL INSTALL, and then browse to the SDK file you downloaded.
(I also learned that you need to have previously turned on the following apps too: WebStation PhPMyAdmin) But what do i know? It is not yet working for me.
Basalt
Student
Student

Postby Basalt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:36 pm

:idea: On SourceForge, there is also an elaborate installation manual.
It is based on DSM 4.3, most of it also applies to DSM 5.
I am working on an updated manual.

Basalt
Student
Student

Postby Basalt » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:51 am

:idea: I updated the manual for DSM v5, available on SourceForge (see 1st post).

/Erik

mrptl
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby mrptl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:08 am

I'm giving up on the calendar… I've tried so many ways, but it refuse to work – client side.
No problems on the address book, I made it working (with difficulties) on both iOS and OSX.

I've re-installed Baikal, as per PDF for DSM5 (update 7/09).
I'm on DSM 5.0, OSX 10.9, iOS 7.1 and use the SQLite option.

– On OSX Calendar, I get a:
Your calendar couldn't be refresh
The request four account "my calendar" failed.
Operation:
CalDAVAccountRefreshQUeueableOperation)

I'm 100% sure on the login, password, url… I've triple check them.

- on iOS CalDAV, I get a:
Calendar Account
CalDAV account verification failed

Am I the only one?
Lapin
Versed
Versed

Postby Lapin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:09 pm

I just installed it. It is great !!
Thanks a lot for your work. Baïkal is a lot more better than the official package.
:mrgreen:
Synology Model: DS-411+
Firmware Version: 5.2-5592 Update 4
HDD Model: 4xSeagate ST2000DL003 2To - SHR
Basalt
Student
Student

Postby Basalt » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks for your feedback, happy you like it :D

Lapin
Versed
Versed

Postby Lapin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:40 am

I hope you will update your SPK when a new Baïkal version will come out.
:)

One comment, in your very well done PDF file, the calendar link is missing in the Thunderbird section:
http://MYSYNO/baikal/cal.php/calendars/USER/default/
or
https://MYSYNO/baikal/cal.php/calendars/USER/default/ (if HTTPS has been enabled in the Synology Web Services)

Last comment, with my iPhone 4S (iOS 8.4), the initial setup is working. No duplicated "baikal/card.php". Looks like Apple did fixed it.
Basalt
Student
Student

Postby Basalt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks for your feedback :wink:, I updated the PDF accordingly, see Revision history for details.

About the new Baïkal v2: not seen much progress lately, better enjoy the current version.

/Erik

Lapin
Versed
Versed

Postby Lapin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:06 am

Just checked your new PDF.
Good idea to add the explanation for HTTPS usage.
You forgot to mentioned:
"Firewall Notification pops up → Add rule for port 443 (if not already there)."

FYI, I'm successfully using HTTPS connection with my iPhone iOS 8.4 (contacts + calendar), Nexus 10 through DAVdroid (contacts), Thunderbird through SOGo and Lightning (contacts + calendar).

Again, thanks to you for this SPK and the very nice helpful associated documentation.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Third-party Packages”