Working with CardDAV

The discussion lounge for add-on Synology packages.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:
https://myds.synology.com/support/suppo ... p?lang=enu
2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
Goran
I'm New!
I'm New!

Re: Working with CardDAV

Postby Goran » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:23 pm

On my DS-214+ after upgrade to DSM 5.2-5592 Update 3 CardDAV stopped working.
It can't be reached from my iPhone or android phone on local network or from outside.
Tried several ports, SSL or not.
Even removed package and reinstall it and restarting NAS. (removing also database)

Anyone else have same experience?
luckman212
Sharp
Sharp

Postby luckman212 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:22 am

I experienced extremely slow operation of Mac OS X "Contacts" app since upgrading to some recent release of the Synology DSM. I am not sure which release it was but I would say it started happening about 2 months ago. I have tested with other CardDAV servers e.g. Baikal and saw no such slowdown. Not sure what is causing this but it makes editing and working with Contacts extremely painful. (The sync is still working though, I think)
DS712+, DSM 5.1-5021
harmlessdrudge
Rookie
Rookie

Postby harmlessdrudge » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Further to my earlier note:

I discovered that the problems I had getting synced were down to Lightning, the calendar app in Thunderbird. It's used for authentication by Sogo and will not permit more than one connection to a server (e.g., for different addressbooks) by the same user. The supposed work around is to edit a hosts file and enter aliases for the server. I also found adding a port to the URL helped workaround this.

However, Baikal is much better than the Synology app.
Lapin
Versed
Versed

Postby Lapin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks a lot !!! I wasn't happy with the official Synology CarDAV server.
I tried Baïkal (which also provided a CalDAV server). It is a lot more better and easier to manage.
I downloaded and followed the instructions from this URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/baikalforsynology/
Everything is working great in no time.
Thanks !!
:mrgreen:
Synology Model: DS-411+
Firmware Version: 5.2-5592 Update 4
HDD Model: 4xSeagate ST2000DL003 2To - SHR
NoPlan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NoPlan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am

I have exactly the same problem. Does anybody know how to fix this?
Lapin
Versed
Versed

Postby Lapin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:27 am

Try Baïkal!!
Easy to setup and a lot more better than the Synology package.
:mrgreen:
NoPlan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NoPlan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:56 am

I would, but I dont want to open the webserver.
Lapin
Versed
Versed

Postby Lapin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:59 am

OK.
Maybe you can opened it with a different HTTPS port (you must also generate a certificate).
NoPlan
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby NoPlan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks for answering. I installed Baikal now. Really easy to configure and it runs well.

For the moment I clodes the the ports in the firewall (not Synology) to the WAN and with the clients I access with the LAN-IP. What I don't know is what this means if I am in another LAN. Guess will get some errors because devices try to connect to the IP-address, which maybe even exists. But this is not an issue for this forum anymore.

What I also don't know much about is, if I change the ports from 443 to something else. Guess it' still possible to access by https. Somehow I don't think this is a secure solution, but maybe I am wrong.
Lapin
Versed
Versed

Postby Lapin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:57 pm

First you need DynDNS to access your NAS from outside of your home. ex: xxxx.homedns.org

If you don't open the port 443 and 80 on your firwall, then your NAS can't be accessed from Internet. :)

Now you can created a different HTTPS port from your Synology and opened this port on your Firewall OR you can reroute the existing 443 port to a different on from your Firewall (if it can do it).

Let's assume than you HTTPS port is 4321.
Then if you want to access you Synology from Internet, then you must now the xxxx.homedns.org (or the direct IP of your ISP) AND you must now which port must be used. To me, it is secure enough for a home service. Keep in mind than if somebody is monitoring you URL and the good port, he will only see encrypted data... HTTP is not secure at all, but HTTPS is.

Finally, the correct URL to access your HTTPS web service will be: https://xxx.homedns.org:4321/baikal/etc...
onesolo
Trainee
Trainee

Postby onesolo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Hi guys,

I'm using Cardav. My synology is connected on a doman. When entering Carddav server I can see local and the domain users on the address book. It works fine for local users, but I can't find the exact url for the domain users.
Can some one help me?

myip:8008/addressbooks/users/(???)/addressbook/

What do I put on (???) to use a domain user ?

Thkx in advance.
Synology DS916+ 8GB RAM with 2x2TB WDD RED
maxburn
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby maxburn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:37 pm

The official CardDAV app is very simple (good) but there are some bugs I'm seeing. Anyone else notice this?

1. Any contact with a phone number imported or edited from this (207)200-9954;1125 ends up as 1125. Don't know why it is stripping the phone number from the extension, this is a show stopper bug for me.

2. Any contact with custom fields "work phone greenville" gets those fields with custom names dropped on importing. Gone. I didn't test creating from scratch, I can't go in and find all these in my contacts!

First I tried importing via the Android CalDAV app by Marten Gajda, noticed these problems. I wiped out the android sync, deleted the contacts in Synology. Then I went into Fruux, exported to VCF and imported those directly via the Synology CalDAV import, same results as above.

Guess I'll try Baikal too?
simon cook
I'm New!
I'm New!

Postby simon cook » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:26 pm

onesolo wrote:Hi guys,

I'm using Cardav. My synology is connected on a doman. When entering Carddav server I can see local and the domain users on the address book. It works fine for local users, but I can't find the exact url for the domain users.
Can some one help me?

Thkx in advance.

I have exactly this problem, has anyone got a solution?
sinthesisml
Trainee
Trainee

Postby sinthesisml » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:50 pm

simon cook wrote:

Can some one help me?

Thkx in advance.

try this
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 81#p390681
DS1812+
3GB RAM
SHR w/ 4x3TB WDReds + 4x4TB WDReds
Always 1 revision behind latest DSM revision
APC Power Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500 (120V)
Apple TV3, TV4
WDTV Live
Netgear Nighthawk 6700
Netgear Prosafe Firewall FVS318Gv2
Netgear GS110TP-200NAS
onesolo
Trainee
Trainee

Postby onesolo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 am

simon cook wrote:

Can some one help me?

Thkx in advance.

Well,
I "discovered" what is the url to use when you are usin a domain user:
"https://myipaddress:8443/addressbooks/users/MYDOMAIN%5Cusername/addressbook/"
The "%5C" is a "\" character. MYDOMAIN, should be in caps and username with no caps.
If you put that url on a browser, it's going to ask for the password of the domain user. And if you enter successfully the login, it will show the carddav data for that user.

I'm using Thunderbird with Sogo Connector and there's some bug from Sogo. After I setup with that url scheme, when it asks for the username and password, no matter what I do, It wont sync nothing.
I tried with a self NAS user and Sogo works fine.
I did not tried to use this on other carddav clients.
Synology DS916+ 8GB RAM with 2x2TB WDD RED

Return to “Official Synology Packages”