x09 firmware update... NOW DSM 6.0

Discussion Room for Legacy Disk/Cube/Rack Station from the x01/x06 Series.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
Sofquipeut
Trainee
Trainee

Re: x09 firmware update...

Unread post by Sofquipeut » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:47 pm

syno.dustin wrote:All that's saying is that models with 64-bit processors get 64-bit DSM. Everything else gets the usual in 6.0.
Ok. But for the sake of curiosity, how do you explain that the 410J can't be softmoded to run the 6.0 version although both CPUs are the same?

Thanks

syno.dustin
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

Unread post by syno.dustin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Sofquipeut wrote:
syno.dustin wrote:All that's saying is that models with 64-bit processors get 64-bit DSM. Everything else gets the usual in 6.0.
Ok. But for the sake of curiosity, how do you explain that the 410J can't be softmoded to run the 6.0 version although both CPUs are the same?

Thanks
I'm not sure what the decision was to not support x10 models in 6.0 but it has nothing to do with 64-bit processors.
If you need technical support please use this form: https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php
Synology does not consistently browse this forum for technical support, feature requests, or any other inquiries as it notes at the top of the page. Please use the proper channels when you need help from someone at Synology.

Akhorahil
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by Akhorahil » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:17 am

Hi,

I've updated my ds209 to ds211j some time ago without problems, but now after a reboot my system is not having any network connection.

I've also tried to setup the device with a new disk, during boot it noticed the missing DSM and was connected to the network. The Assistant can be used to upload a DSM version (I've picked the latest (5.*) for the ds211j and started the installation. All went well, up to a reboot, after which the device boots but has no network.

Is anyone familiar with this problem on a modded device? What can I do to fix it and still have my disks/data usable?

Thanks in advance!

skipper
Student
Student

Re: x09 firmware update... NOW DSM 6.0

Unread post by skipper » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi All i can inform you tha my DS409 now runs latest DSM 6.0

1 Asus Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega - build 14896
1 Happauge MediaMVP running mediaMVP Media Center (mvpmc)
1 Synology ds101g+ with ds109j firmware and optware running
1 Synology DS101 bricked
1 Synology DS409 running DS411j firmware (DSM 6.0 esata mod)
1 Synology DS209+ upgraded with 1gb ram now back to life thx synology support :-) running offsite - backup server
1 Synology DS1815+
1 Netgear Ready duo nas running RSync backup onsite
1 Rasbery pi running openElec / xbmc

HellG
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by HellG » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi,
as my DS710+ is now also seen as outdated by Synology no update to DSM 6.0 is available. However the hardware is nearly identical to the DS712+, which has only two LAN ports instead of one and a slightly faster CPU (Atom D425 instead of D410). I downloaded the latest 5.2 update files for both the DS710+ and the DS712+ and there are only three files in the filesystem update (hda1.tgz) that differ:
  • etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf:
    unique="synology_x86_712+" vs. "synology_x86_710+"
    upnpmodelname="DS712+" instead of "DS710+"
    sata_deep_sleep_en="yes" only on DS712+
    support_esata_led="yes" only on DS710+
    maxvolumes="512" while DS710+ can only 256. Should not matter if set to 512
    Entries related to the additional LAN port: maxlanport="2", eth1_mtu and eth1_wol_option
  • usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml
    Here the complete block with the fan_config is different, the rest is identical
  • usr/syno/etc/manutil.conf
    Here only "MAC address2" does not exist in DS710
So apart from these minor differences the diskstations are really identical in terms of software. Do you think it would be possible to insert these changes into the 6.0 update file of a DS712+ and install this on a DS710+ or should I edit the synoinfo.conf on the NAS and update it with the stock DS712+ file? I know that also the VERSION file need to be changed and the checksum.syno too, but I already found a program that generates this file.

Thanks.

skipper
Student
Student

Unread post by skipper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 pm

HellG wrote:Hi,
as my DS710+ is now also seen as outdated by Synology no update to DSM 6.0 is available. However the hardware is nearly identical to the DS712+, which has only two LAN ports instead of one and a slightly faster CPU (Atom D425 instead of D410). I downloaded the latest 5.2 update files for both the DS710+ and the DS712+ and there are only three files in the filesystem update (hda1.tgz) that differ:
    Entries related to the additional LAN port: maxlanport="2", eth1_mtu and eth1_wol_option
  • usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml
    Here the complete block with the fan_config is different, the rest is identical
    Here only "MAC address2" does not exist in DS710
So apart from these minor differences the diskstations are really identical in terms of software. Do you think it would be possible to insert these changes into the 6.0 update file of a DS712+ and install this on a DS710+ or should I edit the synoinfo.conf on the NAS and update it with the stock DS712+ file? I know that also the VERSION file need to be changed and the checksum.syno too, but I already found a program that generates this file.

Thanks.
hi according to http://www.synology-wiki.de/index.php/W ... _System%3F your cpu architecture is compatible for the trick to work, but to be certain do investigate checksum.syno in both 710+ and 712+ *pat for differences in size,please se my post here https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 15#p300696 about 209+ and 210+ in similarities in Zimage (kernel image) and rd.bin (ramdisk image) my 209+ got bricked since the flash size was wrong. the DS209+ got fixed at synology for zero money (hat to pay the transport) thx again synology :-)
but the cpu´s were identical on the 209+ and 210+ except for tailing "e" in cpu number (should mean encryption)

so be sure that u realy wanna try, if the flash size match i think u could be safe but NO warranty can be given...

best of luck

//Skipper
1 Synology DS101 bricked
1 Synology DS209+ upgraded with 1gb ram now back to life thx synology support :-) running offsite - backup server
1 Synology DS1815+

HellG
Trainee
Trainee

DSM 6.0 not availabe for DS710+

Unread post by HellG » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi,
is there any technical reason why DSM 6.0 is not available for DS710+ while it is available for DS712+?

In terms of hardware the two diskstations are nearly identical: DS712+ has a slightly faster CPU (Intel Atom D425 vs. D410 in the DS710+) and two LAN ports instead of one.
In terms of software they are also very close. I analysed the latest software update that is available for both diskstations and found only very minor differences: DS712+ has sata_deep_sleep enabled and DS710+ has an esata led support. The maxvolume limitation of the DS710+ of 256 against the 512 of the DS712+ is neglectable. The only real difference in hardware I found was the fancontrol parameters found in "/usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.conf": here the DS710+ has different parameters as the DS712+ so that system temperatures result in slightly different fan speeds. All other files in the software update are truly identical.

In fact I doubt that there is no technical reason to not provide an update to DSM 6.0 for the DS710+ and I think I will either change the update file to install on my DS710+ or edit the configuration so that it thinks it is a DS712+ instead of a DS710+.

lotsacaffeine
Beginner
Beginner

Re: DSM 6.0 not availabe for DS710+

Unread post by lotsacaffeine » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:04 am

A colleague of mine owns my old DS710+ and is interested in this thread.
I'm following it for him...and hope you success with your custom installation config.

If you get it working...would you be willing to post and/or share privately the mods you make to get the installation to work?

Thanks,
Bill
Hardware: DS1513+ NAS (4GB RAM, x5 WD RED 4TB), DX 513 (x5 WD RED 3TB), ASUS RT-AC68U WiFi Router, APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 (BR1500G), Comcast Business Gateway (5-fixed IPs).
Configured: Win/Mac FileServer (TimeMachine), DNS Server (2 domains, x2 LAN ports), Photo Station, Download Station, Video Station, Surveillance Station (x3 PTZ/IP cams), Audio Station, Mail Server, Media Server, VPN Server, Web Station-Virtual Hosts (x3 WordPress Blogs, phpBB)
DSM Version: 6.0-7321 Update 3

HellG
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by HellG » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:37 am

skipper wrote: hi according to http://www.synology-wiki.de/index.php/W ... _System%3F your cpu architecture is compatible for the trick to work, but to be certain do investigate checksum.syno in both 710+ and 712+ *pat for differences in size,please se my post here https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 15#p300696 about 209+ and 210+ in similarities in Zimage (kernel image) and rd.bin (ramdisk image) my 209+ got bricked since the flash size was wrong. the DS209+ got fixed at synology for zero money (hat to pay the transport) thx again synology :-)
but the cpu´s were identical on the 209+ and 210+ except for tailing "e" in cpu number (should mean encryption)

so be sure that u realy wanna try, if the flash size match i think u could be safe but NO warranty can be given...

best of luck

//Skipper
Hi Skipper,
thanks for the hint regarding the other files in the update. The kernel files (zImage) are identical but ramdisk and what is more BIOS files are not. In the ramdisk (rd.gz) only synoinfo.conf and VERSION files are different and I exchanged them with the changed versions from the main update file and the hard disk image (hda1.tgz). What could have caused more problems is the bios.ROM which is different for DS712+ and DS710+. As the bios did not change for DS712+ between DSM 5.2 and 6.0 and for DS710+ between 5.2 patchlevel 5592 and 5644 I just copied the bios.ROM from the DS710+ update file to my new DSM_DS710+_7321.pat and I think I am now ready for an upgrade. I will try the update tonight and let you know if it works (or come back and cry for help...).
If the update is successful I will post a download link and the exact procedure in the forum.

BTW: is the forum actively managed or do new posts need to be manually approved? I tried to open a new topic with my other post above and it ended up two times in a totally different thread.

skipper
Student
Student

Re: DSM 6.0 not availabe for DS710+

Unread post by skipper » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:02 pm

HellG wrote:Hi,
is there any technical reason why DSM 6.0 is not available for DS710+ while it is available for DS712+?

In terms of hardware the two diskstations are nearly identical: DS712+ has a slightly faster CPU (Intel Atom D425 vs. D410 in the DS710+) and two LAN ports instead of one.
In terms of software they are also very close. I analysed the latest software update that is available for both diskstations and found only very minor differences: DS712+ has sata_deep_sleep enabled and DS710+ has an esata led support. The maxvolume limitation of the DS710+ of 256 against the 512 of the DS712+ is neglectable. The only real difference in hardware I found was the fancontrol parameters found in "/usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.conf": here the DS710+ has different parameters as the DS712+ so that system temperatures result in slightly different fan speeds. All other files in the software update are truly identical.

In fact I doubt that there is no technical reason to not provide an update to DSM 6.0 for the DS710+ and I think I will either change the update file to install on my DS710+ or edit the configuration so that it thinks it is a DS712+ instead of a DS710+.

hi im with you, there is no reason other than money !!

1) i can accept end of life, when CPU Architecture is abandoned
2) When hardware is identical i Think Synology is f**king with us
3) I think its fine that Synology is hosting the modder forum.
1 Synology DS101 bricked
1 Synology DS1815+

HellG
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by HellG » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:02 pm

I did it!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya43ogxcghswk ... 0.jpg?dl=0
I can't attach an image and if I only set image tags it only shows "Image"...
My first attempt did of course not work and gave me a short night (I went to bed after 4am) with some almost heart attacks... Luckily the system boots from a flash module with its own mini usb header and I managed to recover from a completely bricked system. Basically I inserted all information that are different between the DS710+ and DS712+ in the DSM version 5.2 into the DS712+ DSM 6.0 firmware update file. Due to the old busybox Synology uses on the box it did not work in the first place as I needed to pack the image with

Code: Select all

tar --format oldgnu
After that everything worked fine and I am now on DSM 6.0 patchlevel 7321. I am currently uploading the firmware update to my mega account and I will insert the link as soon as the upload is ready.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Here are the steps I made to make a DSM_DS710+_7321.pat (you need at least some basic linux knowledge to replicate). Do the following steps as root, otherwise you cannot unpack the hd image properly.
  • Download the DSM_DS712+_7321.pat and DSM_DS710+_5644.pat from Synology
  • Unpack both to separate directories with tar
  • Change VERSION file in your working directory from DS712+ to DS710+ (see the file from DS710+ as reference. Do not copy!)
  • Copy the bios.ROM from DS710+ (it is not used, but just in case...)
  • Make separate directories for the hd image and unpack hda1.tgz from both versions with "tar xvJf hda1.tgz"
  • Change the following files according to my post above. Use the files from DS710+ as reference:
    • usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml
      Here the complete block with the fan_config is different, the rest is identical, so just copy the whole file
      Here only "MAC address2" does not exist in DS710, also here you could copy the whole file
  • Repack the hd image with "tar cvJf ../hda1.tgz *". It will take some time
  • Rename rd.gz to rd.lzma, unpack with lzma -d rd.lzma
  • Open rd in a hex editor and change 712+ to 710+ in the VERSION file and in the synoinfo.conf (you can see the filenames in the header.) There are also binary files containing the string, but they don't need to be changed.
  • Compress the file with lzma and rename rd.lzma to rd.gz
  • Download the checksum creator and compile it from here: https://github.com/andy928/synochecksum and create a new checksum.syno file with

Code: Select all

synochecksum-emu1 -q `find *` > checksum.syno
  • Create the new DSM_DS710+_7321.pat with "tar -H oldgnu cvf ../DSM_DS710+_7321.pat *"
  • Now comes the tricky part: you need to change the grub boot options in order to be able to boot from your newly created ramdisk.
    • shutdown the NAS and take out the harddisks (remember which one sits where...)
    • take of the back cover (two screws on the back bottom side)
    • Next to the VGA connector on the mainboard you will see the flash module. It sits on a pin header and is additionally attached to the board with a plastic snap on spacer.
    • Lift the module on the upper side to unplug it from the board and turn it carfully towards you. Tilt it a little while turning until you can plug in a mini USB cable. Be carefully with the capacitors nearby.
    • Connect the module to your computer and mount the first partition. Now its a good time to backup the data from both partitions of the flash module. Open /boot/grub/grub.conf with an editor and place a "#" in front of "cksum /grub_cksum.syno" to comment it out.
    • Sync discs, unmount and carefully plugin in the module back to the mainboard
  • No you can assemble your NAS back again and start the update
AGAIN: USE THE PROCEDURE OR THE FILE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
My system was bricked due to the wrong grub checksum of the ramdisk so I recovered by copying the rd.gz from DSM_DS710+_5644.pat with the correct grub_cksum.syno to the second partition on the boot flash.

Ok guys, my DS710+ is up and running again and now I need to care for my kids, they starve since yesterday;-)

PS: Upload is ready:
https://mega.nz/#!I94mGIgB!_pD8gkx0Z9kC ... jQ3akyn8Ls

iKenzo
I'm New!
I'm New!

Unread post by iKenzo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:09 pm

HellG wrote:I did it!

AGAIN: USE THE PROCEDURE OR THE FILE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
My system was bricked due to the wrong grub checksum of the ramdisk so I recovered by copying the rd.gz from DSM_DS710+_5644.pat with the correct grub_cksum.syno to the second partition on the boot flash.

Ok guys, my DS710+ is up and running again and now I need to care for my kids, they starve since yesterday;-)

PS: Upload is ready:
https://mega.nz/#!I94mGIgB!_pD8gkx0Z9kC ... jQ3akyn8Ls
A HUGE thx to you HellG !
Followed your instruction and now my 710+ is up and running :D !!!!

HellG
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by HellG » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:09 pm

iKenzo wrote: A HUGE thx to you HellG !
Good to hear! I wasn't sure if somebody would be able to follow my instructions. Did you made your own update file or did you took mine?

We now have to look for updates for the DS712+. I think updates for applications are shown and can be installed but system updates won't show up in the update panel.

skipper
Student
Student

Unread post by skipper » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:39 pm

HellG wrote:
iKenzo wrote: A HUGE thx to you HellG !
Good to hear! I wasn't sure if somebody would be able to follow my instructions. Did you made your own update file or did you took mine?

We now have to look for updates for the DS712+. I think updates for applications are shown and can be installed but system updates won't show up in the update panel.

1) SALUT for solving the update issue on 710+

2) I think that if synoinfo.conf says its a 712+ it will show the show the system update BUT since u need to manualy patch the update with 710+ bios and other files u need to swith auto update off, mabye 'update' files aka minor updates can be done with official files, time and inspection will show.
1 Synology DS101 bricked
1 Synology DS1815+

HellG
Trainee
Trainee

Unread post by HellG » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:58 pm

2) I think that if synoinfo.conf says its a 712+ it will show the show the system update BUT since u need to manualy patch the update with 710+ bios and other files u need to swith auto update off, mabye 'update' files aka minor updates can be done with official files, time and inspection will show.
Just changing synoinfo.conf was not sufficient to be able to update to 712+. Furthermor you need to change the grub.con on the flash disk as the system identifier "DS710+" is given as boot parameter to the kernel and as soon as there is one mismatch between the found system identifier and the one it thinks it should be a system migration is done on bootup. My second attempt after trying to install my (faulty) update file was to alter synoinfo.conf, flash 712+ and do the changes afterwards. But this did not work either.
Regarding the updates: you don't need to switch of automatic update as there will be no update to the DSM 6.0 for DS710+. Applications like Docker, CloudSync or HyperBackup are installed idependently on top of the system update (see spk files under http://usdl.synology.com/download/spk/) and will be found by the package manager automatically.

Return to “x01/x06/x07 Legacy Discussion”