Is the 407 too old? Does the new DSM software support?

Discussion Room for Legacy Disk/Cube/Rack Station from the x01/x06 Series.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/su ... p?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
blackcows
Student
Student

Is the 407 too old? Does the new DSM software support?

Unread post by blackcows » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:20 pm

I have a 212J that I have been using for about a year as a media server and I really like it, it's worked flawlessly. I have been very impressed with the software and the hardware. I am now wanting to buy a second Synology to use as a file storage\backup solution. I don't like to spend money so I am thinking about buying an older server on eBay and using some 1.0 to 1.5 tb scsi drives that I have in my WHS. Does the new DSM software work with all of the Diskstations? Is there a point when the hardware gets too dated? I would think what I am going to do isn't that taxing on the server so hardware wouldn't be an issue but I would like to be able to use a standardized software on all of my machines.

pz1
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Is the 407 too old? Does the new DSM software support?

Unread post by pz1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:55 pm

blackcows wrote: I would think what I am going to do isn't that taxing on the server so hardware wouldn't be an issue but I would like to be able to use a standardized software on all of my machines.
If that is the ultimate goal, then your 212 will be in the danger zone in two or three years time :mrgreen:
Look here for 4.3-supported devices http://www.synology.com/support/beta_ds ... p?lang=enu
DS-207+ 128MB; DSM 3.1-1594
HDD: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 (01.01A01)
LMS 7.7.1 via SSODS4.9.1mod2 (by j-r)
DS212+ 512MB; DSM 4.3-3827 Update 7
LMS 7.7.2-007 via Synology spk

maxxfi
Compiler
Compiler

Re: Is the 407 too old? Does the new DSM software support?

Unread post by maxxfi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:03 am

For most models, the DSM is supported (i.e. updates are published) for about 3 years (and IIRC 5 years on some rack-mounted units)
After that, hopefully the DSM got stable enough, at least for the basic functionality, so that you keep it running until the h/w can last.
If you are looking a 407 just to backup the other NAS, that should do. You can just check the central Synology repository with all DSM releases and install the last one published for that model.
No longer using Synology NAS, moved to more open source solutions.
DS-106j > DS-210j > DS-411

Return to “x01/x06/x07 Legacy Discussion”