Firmware update after reset - avoid data loss?

Discussion Room for Legacy Disk/Cube/Rack Station from the x01/x06 Series.
Forum rules
1) This is a user forum for Synology users to share experience/help out each other: if you need direct assistance from the Synology technical support team, please use the following form:

https://account.synology.com/support/support_form.php?lang=enu

2) To avoid putting users' DiskStation at risk, please don't paste links to any patches provided by our Support team as we will systematically remove them. Our Support team will provide the correct patch for your DiskStation model.
RPLHTYLINKKS
Beginner
Beginner

Firmware update after reset - avoid data loss?

Postby RPLHTYLINKKS » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi,

had a CS406 run perfectly fine with the 1157 firmware until last week the box would not respond anymore to anything (no SSH, HTTP nor Synology Assistant). I did not simply yank the power cable to restart it so clever enough I hit the reset button to restart (like the computers had in the good old times). Obviously the reset on the CS resets the admin account after the first push - after the second it wipes the system. :shock: Never felt so RTFM before! :oops:
Now, the status blinks orange and the Synology Assistant (ver. 2.2-0942) reports "System not installed" and then wanting to re-install the 1157 it reports "Note: all data in the harddrive(s) will be deleted". On the wiki I believe it says that the drives won't be wiped if it is a multibay system (I have 4 disks installed). http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_Install_Guide:_Installing_the_Synology_Server Step 4, 7

Questions that I have are:
1. Is there a chance for me to recover this without losing the data? (I don't have a separate PC with 4 SATA ports to connect them to)
2. Is the "wiping of the system disks" dependent on the firmware/DSA previously used?
3. Would I need to use a different DSAssistent matching the version? (2.3-1157?)

Thank you so much!

Once this is up and running again I'll get myself one of those external drives that I can make a backup onto now that the prices per GB are so low these days.
RPLHTYLINKKS
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Firmware update after reset - avoid data loss?

Postby RPLHTYLINKKS » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Trying to launch DSAssistant-SYNOLOGY_844 fails as I assume it is not compatible with SnowLeopard. :(
RPLHTYLINKKS
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RPLHTYLINKKS » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 pm

I am assuming that I am running on the partition layout of version 2.0 and now every DSA wants the new layout?

I know downgrade is never recommended but the newer DSA report 2.3-1157 and without being able to access the OS a downgrade is not possible (as I understand going back from 2.3 is not highly discouraged/impossible(?) -> partition layout related I assume)

Ok, will go back to the 22 pages of custom firmware thread... ;)
HarryPotter
Honorary Moderator
Honorary Moderator

Postby HarryPotter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:25 pm

RPLHTYLINKKS wrote:Now, the status blinks orange and the Synology Assistant (ver. 2.2-0942) reports "System not installed" and then wanting to re-install the 1157 it reports "Note: all data in the harddrive(s) will be deleted".

What happens if you continue the process? The DS Assistant should list all steps and if "formatting data partition" is grayed out, then you are on the safe side.

It is advisable to use the most recent DS Assitant.
*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so all members can learn. Thanks!*

DS718+ / DSM 6.2-23511 / ST4000VN000-2AH166 / SA400S37120G SSD cache /16 GB RAM
DS415+ / DSM 6.2-23511

LMS 7.9.1-166, 2 Squeezebox 3 + Boom

APC Smart UPS SUA750i
RPLHTYLINKKS
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RPLHTYLINKKS » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:22 pm

I was/am hesitating as in the description on the wiki it says that if it does not need to delete the hard drives it would not show it. Wanted to know if there is something else/safer that could be done before I destroy everything irrecoverably...
RPLHTYLINKKS
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RPLHTYLINKKS » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:31 am

Ok, looked at it again. This "greyed out" info only appears after I hit finish, right? That is already point of no return though, no?!
Alfredo
Versed
Versed

Postby Alfredo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:07 pm

RPLHTYLINKKS wrote:I was/am hesitating as in the description on the wiki it says that if it does not need to delete the hard drives it would not show it. Wanted to know if there is something else/safer that could be done before I destroy everything irrecoverably...

The wiki is talking about something else. Single bay devices get their volume created automatically during setup, multi bay devices don't. For those, you need to login to DSM and create the volume manually, since there are multiple possibilities (RAID-5, RAID-6, JBOD, ...).
This doesn't mean you can't loose your data during setup though, even on multi bay devices. The volume may not be created, but it can be deleted.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you much and I don't know what would either.
CS406 - DSM 2.2 0942 (modified from CS-407e)
RPLHTYLINKKS
Beginner
Beginner

Postby RPLHTYLINKKS » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am

Good news! Glad I did not rush into anything. Got response from support to restart the CS without the disks attached. No problem there. Then reassembled the box as I wanted to ensure that all HDD went green at some point despite the orange status LED to confirm the disks reported to be ok (before diving into checking them one-by-one in a different machine). Lo and behold the box took a bit longer to boot this time but all lights are green. Access to web interface worked again too! *woot!*

Strange thing though is I thought I did do an "IT Crowd"-"Have you tried to turn it off and on again" approach. Maybe needed a full powercycle, re-seating of the plugs etc...

Next step, run the quick S.M.A.R.T. checks and buy an external HD to "back that thing up".

HarryPotter and Alfredo, thank you for your responses though anyway!

:D (<- that's me, happy camper now again)

Return to “x01/x06/x07 Legacy Discussion”