DS-207+ and WD Green/Blue... timeout solution?

Discussion Room for Legacy Disk/Cube/Rack Station from the x01/x06 Series.
Forum rules
We've moved! Head over to Synology Community (community.synology.com) to meet up with our team and other Synology enthusiasts!
rtilghman
Trainee
Trainee

DS-207+ and WD Green/Blue... timeout solution?

Unread post by rtilghman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:16 pm

So, I recently replaced my Synology 207+ hard drives, upgrading to WD Blue 3tb drives. I previously had WD Green 1tb drives in there for about 4-5 years without any issue, hence the brand faith.

After the fact I came across information about this whole head parking/idle timeout issue... basically that the green drives (and maybe the blue ones) at least USED TO ship with 8 second timeouts. It "sounds" like Synology solved this issue by incorporating a timeout overwrite into the firmware, at least according to this post:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=41515

However, from the posters comment it also sounds like this was incorporated into v.1922, and I have no idea if my older Synology DS-207+ falls into this category since I don't know what 1922 refers to. If its the firmware version (e.g., 3.1-1639, the last version for my DS-207+) it would seem my unit doesnt have it, if something else maybe it does.

The first question is if this is something I need to worry about with my DS-207+? As I said, I've never had any issues, but maybe I got lucky.

Second question is if it is a problem, do I need to address? What can I do about it? Is there a way to flash the setting from the Synology?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

german_user
Navigator
Navigator

Re: DS-207+ and WD Green/Blue... timeout solution?

Unread post by german_user » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 pm

I hate to say this but I believe the bigger issue is that you're limited to a DSM release in the 3.x vintage..which is problematic if that Synology touches the internet in any way..depending on how you're actually using it, that may not be a problem-

Return to “x01/x06/x07 Legacy Discussion”